Thread: Draft Strategy

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Draft Strategy

I\'ve got the 13th pick this year in the 2nd year of our league. It\'s not a snake draft anymore. I\'m big on offense as you can see I kept 7 offensive players. I was under the impression I would draft Starting pitching in the first 2 rounds this season but lately my mind is wandering. My team is low on SBs (last year I had BJ Upton).

Of the players left to draft, most with high SB upside are generally risky players who even if they do play regularly will kill some of my other stats. So I\'ve started thinking I should play my offense safe and draft Tori Hunter in the 1st round and then either Damon or Milledge in the 2nd - though I view Milledge as a risk as well.

Some pitchers available include E.Santana, Beckett, Shields, Vazquez, Felix H. - who could all be gone by my 13th pick.....then it goes Nolasco, Lowe, Greinke, Myers, Slowey, Verlander, Danks, Kershaw, Harang, Scherzer, Lilly, the Johnsons, etc.
    The only closers being kept are K-Rod, Soria, Papelbon and Rivera.
    I\'m thinking I\'m not missing out on too much by solidifying my offense in the first 2 rounds - which most teams will be targeting as most kept 2 pitchers (3 or 4 of us didn\'t keep any starters) I\'m even thinking of going closer heavy and target high K/9 with upside SPs later on. Last season I finished 3rd in my league while finishing bottom 3 in ERA/WHIP only because I managed to get top 3 in K/W/Sv. This year my offense should be better and I could repeat the K/Svs no problem....the rest could be a crap shoot.

Thoughts? Am I crazy?
    I\'m interested to hear others thought processes on this site.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Draft Strategy

I think your strategy makes sense. The only tweak I\'d probably make is drafting a guy that has 30 HR potential as I think you\'re one big bat short. If there are none available, then guys like Torii Hunter or other 20/20 candidates make sense.

Second pick would then use to draft a pitcher like Nolasco or Greinke.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec