Thread: Can Only Keep 8

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Can Only Keep 8

I can only keep 8 of the following players.

Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL

Stat Categories: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, W, SV, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP

Who would you keep from this list?

Miguel Cabrera (Det - 1B,3B.)
    Adam Dunn (Was - 1B,LF,RF)
    Josh Hamilton (Tex - CF,RF)
    Justin Morneau (Min - 1B.)
    Troy Tulowitzki (Col - SS)
    Chase Utley (Phi - 2B.)
    Chad Billingsley (LAD - SP,RP)
    Clayton Kershaw (LAD - SP)
    Jonathan Papelbon (Bos - RP)
    Francisco Rodríguez (NYM - RP)
    Max Scherzer (Ari - SP,RP)
    Adam Wainwright (StL - SP)

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Can Only Keep 8

Miguel Cabrera
    Chase Utley
    Josh Hamilton
    Adam Dunn
    Justin Morneau
    Chad Billingsley
    Max Scherzer
    Jonathan Papelbon

Tulowitzki is a tad overrated, and didn\'t display that much power last year. Papelbon over F-Rod, because predicting save totals is such a crapshoot, so I\'d go with the categories that you can predict - Papelbon shows excellent control and command, while F-Rod tends to have some control issues.

The loss of Kershaw will hurt your future, but I think Scherzer is a little more major league ready than him right now.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Default Can Only Keep 8

Miguel Cabrera
    Chase Utley
    Josh Hamilton
    Justin Morneau
    Jonathan Papelbon
    Francisco Rodríguez
    Chad Billingsley
    Clayton Kershaw

There should be plenty to choose from with Dunn\'s stats. I hate to lose Tulowitzki but you could probably get him back in the draft? As for the other pitchers, you can probably get those guys or guys of that caliber in the draft too. If I had to protect today, without any additional info, I would protect those guys. Can you trade Dunn to try to snag an early round pick maybe? The trade route is always a good option when trying to narrow a list down. You are going to cut someone loose anyway, might as well get something for him. Possibly an upgrade even!

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Can Only Keep 8

you have quite a good bunch of guys to pick from.
    clearly you have a good grasp on quality, and you should be able to fill in your blanks easily...

before i continue - it is slightly tougher to guage what guys are available for you to pick from, and what guys are being kept by other managers (no, no need to put up a list, but if you have any possible waiverwire, or free agent names already that helps guage the replacement value for you)

out of your guys, i\'d keep:

Adam Dunn (Was - 1B,LF,RF)
    Troy Tulowitzki (Col - SS)
    Chase Utley (Phi - 2B.)
    Adam Wainwright (StL - SP)

Miggy, Justin, Utley (lock up your infield with a solid core, fill in the blanks as needed) - you can find a cheaper SS of a Stephen Drew variety with your upcoming rounds maybe if not taken/kept by others.

Josh gives you less bombs than Dunn, but more RBI, more Runs, and way more quality sportscenter, mlb tv, sports illustrated, and other \"yeah, i got that guy!!\" moments of rooting value. RV is an often underappreciated fantasy stat and should not be taken lightly (but just like any substance should not be taken in excess! )

Chad, Clayton, Max - Chad throws fire. Clayton throws fire. Both should be on quality (winning) ballclubs and are shaping up as the #1\'s and 2\'s of the dodgers. I am reading reports that Clayton will not be under any heavy innings restrictions, so this might be a very very solid season for him. Max i like for reasons that if they for some reason don\'t keep him all season long as a SP, his RP fill in numbers will be better than whatever chump #5-6 pitcher you end up having to field instead. You have a keeper system - I\'d want him on my team for years to come...

Johnny Applebon - Filthy. Throws for his contract year to year, he\'s got control, he\'s got some bad dance moves, and he\'s got the boston machine fueling his saves and pitching totals... Boston\'s heartbreak days are done, the Mets aren\'t - and I\'d rather have the bostonian hurler than the \"let\'s see how you do in NYC now K-rod\" mets one.

The one thing I would encourage you to look out for it swooping in for Wainwright when you get a chance. He\'s incredibly under the radar still, and should round out your rotation nicely.

And in regards to loading up on the Dodgers arms - if that concerns you too much - you can always look to move one; both are incredibly marketable and bring back VERY high value in trade packages.

good luck,
    and please keep us posted!

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Can Only Keep 8

Trading Dunn for a draft pick doesn\'t make sense unless you\'re out of the playoff picture. With the lineup you have, you are probably in the top 3 in offense.

Your pitching staff is a little unreliable, and I assume you will draft a couple pitchers with your first 2 picks.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Default Can Only Keep 8

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I\'m actually surprised by how many people advised keeping one or both of the 2 yougn stud SP\'s (Kershaw & Scherzer) over K-Rod. That was one of my biggest dilemas!

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Can Only Keep 8

I never pay for saves. I could see you taking K-Rod over Scherzer and try to trade K-Rod for a stud SP. Not sure how weighted your league is with the rookies. Now that I\'m thinking about it, I might even go that route!
    Keeper League:

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Can Only Keep 8

Hanilton
    Morneau
    Utley
    Papelbon
    Rodriquez
    Scherzer
    Cabrera
    Dunn

Default Can Only Keep 8

Ok, so not to beat a dead horse or anything, but I\'ve narrowed down my list of 7 \"for sure\" keepers to:

Chase Utley (Phi - 2B.)
    Francisco Rodriguez (NYM - RP)

So now I need to figure out who my last keeper of these two will be:

OR

I\'m leaning towards Scherzer I think. Too bad I couldn\'t keep Tulo as I like him a lot!

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Can Only Keep 8

I think with the signing of Orlando Hudson, you\'d have to give the edge to Kershaw this year, and in the future (even when Hudson isn\'t there)

Kershaw was the more hyped prospect, and had Hudson signed somewhere else, I would recommend Scherzer over Kershaw in a 1 year league. However with Hudson now in LA, he\'s going to save Kershaw a few times in tough situations with his crazy good defence, not to mention the pitcher friendly park in LA

Edit: I\'m also aware I said Scherzer in a previous post, forgetting O-Dawg signed in LA, hence the flip flop
    Keeper League:

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Can Only Keep 8

yeah i would keep kershaw as well, for the same reason as dj said and also the fact that he has a violent and unorthodox delivery could make him injury prone

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Can Only Keep 8

Chase Utley (Phi - 2B.)
    08-09 (Before Ownership): DHL Stars
    Fisher, Fehr, Hagman, Stoll, Dubinsky, Zubrus, Brule, Boyd, Stempniak, Bergeron, HIggins, Nylander, Langkow, Bourque, Burrows, Pyatt, Crombeen, Hunwick Ohlund, Salo, Bergeron, Thomas, Quick, Ersberg, LaBarbera, Raycroft

12-13 (Present): DHL Capitals
    Heatley, Semin, Vanek, Roy, Ribeiro, Kessel, Couture, Turris, Kopitar, Marleau, Hossa, Pominville, Conacher, Nyquist, Silfverberg, Rajala, Arcobello, Karlsson, Green, Enstrom, Wisniewski, Ellis, Elliott, Murphy, Brennan, Benoit, Fleury, Bryzgalov, Elliott, Nabakov, Lehner

Default Can Only Keep 8

In the debate between Scherzer or Kershaw.

It has got to be Kershaw here. I have owned him in one pool sice he was drafted. I dont plan on giving him up either. At least not till his salary becomes outrageous! LOL