Thread: AJ Burnett

Super Moderator

Default AJ Burnett

Big debate with a bud about him this year. He thinks he\'ll have a better year than this year and is an automatic high (pitcher) pick but I just got this sick feeling in my stomach about his injuries. . . especially after signing that big contract.

Where do you guys stand? Where would you draft him?
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default AJ Burnett

im going to be avoiding him this year. the three years that he\'s pitched over 200 innings have all been followed by either free agency or tommy john surgery; not a good omen for 2009.

they guy has a history of only showing up a) when it suits him (contract year) or b) for the big games (yankees, sox...check his career splits). so maybe he does something special in new york, but i cant convince myself of that.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default AJ Burnett

As a Blue Jays fan, I\'d agree with you guys. I do think his numbers on a per game basis will be the best of his career, but think the injuries will hold him down. I\'d draft him as my #2 pitcher if he fell to me, but again, I\'d probably never get him.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Dobber Sports Stud

Default AJ Burnett

If he stays healthy he\'s easily a #2 guy. Especially with the Yanks now he should rack up wins, and still strike-out\'s a ton. He just has to stay healthy.
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default AJ Burnett

smack.

Let\'s add up every \"if\" of every magazine, guide, scout, and expert out there and make it a \"when\". Thankfully most leagues have a DL slot to work with that situation.

I\'d take him.

Why?
    1. He throws fire.
    2. He\'s on the Yankees.
    3. He\'s in CC\'s fat shadow.
    4. He\'s not the #1 pitcher.
    5. He\'s not the #2 (arguably).
    6. He\'s got a great offense to help him out in shootouts.
    7. He\'s got a clean slate, and just might rise to the challenge.
    8. You can pick up a rookie call-up, or other guy in his stead for the few days/weeks he\'s DL\'d*

* = play the waiver wire hard and smart. possibly pick up a sp/rp type of guy to bring down the era, and boost the k\' totals to make the substitute pitchers stats come back down to earth...

cheers, and goodluck!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default AJ Burnett

Ditto.