Thread: Keeper Concerns - Must Clip Two

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Keeper Concerns - Must Clip Two

Gentlemen!

1. My first post. (cracking my knuckles, tipping my hat... applause is heard in the near distance)...

2. In my signature below, you will find my team. I must clip two of the guys there due to two of them being on the DL at the end of the season, and rosters must carry over 0 DL guys into the draft. (unfair rule, but that\'s ok - hopefully will be ammended this season).

3. (here\'s the tricky part - aka League Scoring)
    We\'re a Head-to-Head league with weekly roster changes on sunday by midnight. We have a full-keeper system, and have a cutoff of moves at 25 moves to keep it tougher to compete and force better strategy (and cut down on streaming).

We get a point for categories - ie: (bear with me please)

Run - 1 point
    Single - 1 point
    Double - 2
    Triple - 3
    HR - 4
    RBI - 1
    SB - 1
    BB - 1

IP (fraction of innings count as 1 point per out) - 3
    W - 5
    L - -5
    SV - 5
    H - -1
    ER - -1
    BB - -1
    K - 1
    HLD - 5

So... You don\'t get tagged for K\'s from your batters (hallelujah), and you usually tend to get rewarded for holds and saves equally, and generally can pick up the scoring patterns/styles pretty quickly and they generally mimic real-life production value accordingly. (i know, i know, except for the K\'s in batting, but that\'s for another day)

That being said - the point totals for my team last season were as follows (for you to get a better picture of who performed what and how based on our system)

C Navarro - 305points
    1b a.gordon - 419
    2b cano - 415
    ss young - 508
    3b asteroid - 582
    of hamilton - 632
    of kemp - 528
    of braun - 592
    util longoria - 443
    bruce - 339
    pence - 489
    hart - 498

sp kershaw - 241
    sp oli.P - 449
    sp J.Johnson - 221
    sp Garza - 432
    sp hughes - 42

rp balfour - 315
    rp marmol - 464
    rp soria - 418
    rp devine - 235

parra - 358
    gonzalez - 159
    mcgowan - 242
    gallardo - 57

Please note that I was adding/dropping players that filled in and gave me quality(ish) stats during the year that are not on this list that were cut and are in the FA pool.

SO.

Based on your takes - Which two guys would you drop?

I\'m leaning towards losing Parra and McGowan, or
    keeping McGowan - DL\'ing him, and dropping Gonzalez? or
    keeping Gordon if he\'s 1b eligible on yahoo this year, and cutting Navarro then along with Parra...

I like Hughes, and would be very against cutting him, so please consider that when you respond if you feel he\'s the weak link...

Long post, I know - but figured for those on here - any quality info i can provide before you chirp up would only help you... (and thankfully we\'re not flooded on these boards as we are on the hockey one\'s just yet - so hopefully we can get a decent opinion medley going)

Thanks!
    Long Live these Forums!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Normally I would say drop Parra and Mcgowan but your SP is your weak point.

Your worst hitter is Gordon. You have no room for him at 3b and my guess is that there are viable other options at 1b via trade or free agents. So I would drop him along with either Parra or Mcgowan.

How much time do you have until you have to name the drops? I would hold off as long as I could to get more news on McGowan. If news is good from him in the next 2 or 3 weeks then I would drop Parra

Try shopping A-rod around to see what you can get since you can plug Longoria in at 3b. If you can snag Santana or Lincecum plus a 1b for Arod then it might help

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Nice Handle CobraTron. I especially like the tagline haha.

BTW, did you create asteroid or is that new A-Rod term floating around. I really like the combo there lol.

I would drop McGowan before Parra myself. I\'d probably drop both pitchers myself as I\'d hate it if Gordon became a star after deciding to drop him in this situation. I\'m not ready to give up on him at that price. I think he has more perceived value than those pitchers anyway. Plus, I generally invest more in hitters because as Hiebert shows in his guide article, they are generally more reliable.

That piece he did for the guide is really interesting btw. Very impressed with the results.
    08-09 (Before Ownership): DHL Stars
    Fisher, Fehr, Hagman, Stoll, Dubinsky, Zubrus, Brule, Boyd, Stempniak, Bergeron, HIggins, Nylander, Langkow, Bourque, Burrows, Pyatt, Crombeen, Hunwick Ohlund, Salo, Bergeron, Thomas, Quick, Ersberg, LaBarbera, Raycroft

12-13 (Present): DHL Capitals
    Heatley, Semin, Vanek, Roy, Ribeiro, Kessel, Couture, Turris, Kopitar, Marleau, Hossa, Pominville, Conacher, Nyquist, Silfverberg, Rajala, Arcobello, Karlsson, Green, Enstrom, Wisniewski, Ellis, Elliott, Murphy, Brennan, Benoit, Fleury, Bryzgalov, Elliott, Nabakov, Lehner

Dobber Sports Recruit

Asteroids! - a cobratron original... B)

...A Star. Steroids. A-Rod. Asteroids...
    (feel free to use, reuse as desired)

Status & broadway - thanks for the reply, i appreciate the input. i would rather hang onto gordon for now, as Status started my train of thought and also for the fact that I can probably trade him in a more solid package with one of my excess OF\'s for a different SP of a 2nd or 3rd tier-like ranking.

it\'s a tough(er) call for now - I know parra has the potential to go J.Sanchez on us this season, or he can be an Oli.P lite... and while he was lights-out for a few week span last season racking up K\'s, he really - and i mean REALLY tanked hard towards the end when the brew-crew needed him most.

but if he\'s going to be an oli.P(erez) lite, and his control issues don\'t fix themselves - he\'s way more expendable in my opinion. it\'s a tough one, but maybe a gamble worth pursuing...

Trading Asteroid! would be a HUUUUUUUGE move, I gave up everything but the kitchen sink a few years back to get him onto my squad - I\'m a huge fan of him swinging before/after Teix\' and like the fact that he just might turn this season into something positive even with the flack he\'s taking these days. Don\'t crush me on this one - but I\'m a huge fan of his, and absolutely love the fact that he\'s that hated in the league - even in the seasons before where the same Yankee fans that boo\'d him on opening day were the loudest ones cheering when he single handedly carried the team in the monster season he had 2 years ago.

megatron,
    cobra commander,
    a-rod,
    superstar badguys extraordinaires!
    :P

Dobber Sports Rookie

I\'d drop Hughes and Josh Johnson. Pitching is usually pretty deep, and relatively easy to find pitchers that are on the up and up.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Heard some not so good news on Mcgowan and that they will be extra cautious. Don\'t expect a lot this year for him.

Dobber Sports Rookie

McGowan will be out until at least May if I\'m not mistaken. I\'d still keep him and then DL him, and pick up a pitcher in the meantime.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec