Thread: Phil Hughes

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Phil Hughes

Ok I\'ve had it!! Im in the middle of my 16 team full keeper draft and we getting to the all so important spot of the draft with prospects and going on \"hunches\"

I am sick of trying to figure out what to do with Phil Hughes, draft him? Avoid him..

I am A HUGE CUB FAN so that also brings me to Jeff Samardjza..

However at this time, he only qualifies for RP and I have Broxton as my closer ( 1 RP start in our league)

If I take Samardjza is cause I feel eventually he will be a SP for the Cubs..

Back to Phil Hughes, does this guy turn into a stud or dud?

As you can see by my rambling, I\'ve put way to much mental thought into this only to make myself more and more confused..

I have 3 great prospects locked up already

Justin Smoak
    Tim Beckham
    Rick Porcello

so I want at least one more, and the Cahill\'s, Anderson\'s etc are taken..

ok time for a breather, thoughts?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Phil Hughes

I would draft Hughes over the hometown favorite in Samardjza. Unless this is a Cubs fans league, he should fall farther.
    08-09 (Before Ownership): DHL Stars
    Fisher, Fehr, Hagman, Stoll, Dubinsky, Zubrus, Brule, Boyd, Stempniak, Bergeron, HIggins, Nylander, Langkow, Bourque, Burrows, Pyatt, Crombeen, Hunwick Ohlund, Salo, Bergeron, Thomas, Quick, Ersberg, LaBarbera, Raycroft

12-13 (Present): DHL Capitals
    Heatley, Semin, Vanek, Roy, Ribeiro, Kessel, Couture, Turris, Kopitar, Marleau, Hossa, Pominville, Conacher, Nyquist, Silfverberg, Rajala, Arcobello, Karlsson, Green, Enstrom, Wisniewski, Ellis, Elliott, Murphy, Brennan, Benoit, Fleury, Bryzgalov, Elliott, Nabakov, Lehner

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Phil Hughes

no its not a \" Cubs\" fan league - but the guys in my leagues know my insane Cub love affair and just love to snatch off my Cub players before I can get em\' then try an force a trade on me, cause they know im a sucker for a Cub..lol

But to really answer the question, you think Hughes is worth it?

Saying I\'ll draft Hughes over or before Samardzja helps but it doesnt help lol

I know none of us know if Hughes or any player for that matter will \" make it\" but what does your \" gut\" tell you, cause for me, it says \" this kid will figure things out become real good.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Phil Hughes

I dont mind Hughes as a flyer here. Beyond starting fresh with a new prospect (Holland, Feliz, Cahill, Tillman etc.) who could as well develop arm troubles. Hughes is still young, plays for a winning franchise and is certainly worth a gamble. One question is whether he will get a chance to pitch in the NYY rotation, especially with the pick-ups of Sabathia and Burnett. Who knows what the answer to that is. But I think he\'s the first in (ahead of Kennedy) to a vacant spot as long as he is healthy (which is a question mark).

Stats from the AFL show Hughes to have done quite well against advanced competition so it does not appear that he\'s lost his touch.

Of the prospects you have, Smoak is the only one who is close to the bigs. I\'d want to round out your minors squad with a high upside guy who is about a year out from having Tea in the bigs.

I\'d take a chance on Hughes before Samardjza.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Phil Hughes

here\'s my two-cents...

1. Hughes is on the Yankees.
    1b. The Yankees win, (usually alot).

2. Hughes is pitching behind Burnett, and a CC that three 2,734 inning in the past year, now on the yankees, that win, usually alot.

3. He\'s not an ego-trip like the oft-early/overhyped Ian Kennedy, and the Yankees system has been working with Hughes to develop some life into his fastball, and to get another effective out-pitch. He\'ll get called up plenty of times.

With AJ, and CC (and possibly CM-Wang or Joba, or Grandpa-pettite) having injury concerns, and with the MUCH reduced expectancy of Phil having to be the #1 ACE, and leader of the Yanks into the promised WS land, he won\'t have to shoulder as much of a load as the others, and should have quality innings under his belt this season to develop more - with quality as part of the equation...

Games that he\'s given to start on a lineup like the yanks will usually tend to give him a much greater chance to win a game or two that wouldn\'t be the case on other teams...

Will he pitch enough to give you quality numbers, better than average production, some poached wins with 4 runs or so given up this season more often than not?... I say yes.

Hang onto him.

He\'ll be one of the guys that Yahoo/Dobber/Razzball/etc will be chirping up to pickup once AJ or other starter goes down with their first injury.