Thread: Looking for help starting league

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Looking for help starting league

Hey Guys

I\'m a big fantasy hockey guy but hate spending my summer wishing September were here.

I would like to start a Baseball pool with the guys in my hockey pool. I\'m not sure yet if it would be a keeper or a one year pool but for what I\'m asking here it doesn\'t matter much.

Basically what I\'m looking for is for a few different people to send me info on how their pool runs, How things are scored, etc.

You can answer here, or if you like email me at [email protected].

Any help would be appreciated. If there is already a forum section here for things like that feel free to direct my dumb ass there

Thanks
    13 team points only keeper
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3D and 1G plus 5 player bench
    Keep 6 plus entire farm

C: Lecavalier, Ribeiro
    LW: Elias, Booth
    RW: Kessel, Pominville
    D: Karlsson, Phaneuf, Bouwmeester
    G: Pavelic

Bench: Malkin, Savard, Langenbrunner, Markov, Brouwer
    Farm: Frolik, Gagner, Little, Turris, B. Connolly, Kuznetsov, Ekman-Larson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Hi IHEARTSOX

I am in a 15 team rotoleague 5X5.Being a hockey freak i just could not seeing baseball fun as in a fantasy league but it is really amazing.The one thing i notice that makes baseball fun is your players play everynight so the stats are just coming in.I am in a auction draft we have $260.00 at the draft for 23 players.2-c,1-1b,1-2b,1-3b,1-mi,1-co,5-of,1-u and 9 pitchers.We are allowed to protect a max. of 12 players each year before the draft.

The scoring is 5 batting categories:HR,RBI,RUNS,SB and AVG.
    The pitching categories:WINS,STRIKEOUTS,E.R.A,WHIP and saves.

Our sites for our leagues is cbssports it works great you can check your team all year long.

Wish you luck and you will have no regrets to put the effort for starting a league if you love hockey fantasy, baseball is as good lots of stats to look at.

If you have any question i do check this forum everyday.

Buckerooooooooooooooooooos
    QHL Stanley Cup champion 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09
    www.thephysicsofhockey.com

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for the quick response Buckeroo

So your pool is basically run the same as a roto league in hockey, except that you use the appropriate baseball stats instead of hockey stats.Is this basically correct?

I am a little confused by what you meant when you said you were in a rotoleague 5x5? Whats the 5x5?

Thanks very much

+1
    13 team points only keeper
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3D and 1G plus 5 player bench
    Keep 6 plus entire farm

C: Lecavalier, Ribeiro
    LW: Elias, Booth
    RW: Kessel, Pominville
    D: Karlsson, Phaneuf, Bouwmeester
    G: Pavelic

Bench: Malkin, Savard, Langenbrunner, Markov, Brouwer
    Farm: Frolik, Gagner, Little, Turris, B. Connolly, Kuznetsov, Ekman-Larson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Hello

Rotoleague 5X5 means 5 scorings categories for batters and 5 scorings categories for pitching.

Check out this site it will explain fantasy baseball

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_baseball

Buckerooooooooooooooos
    QHL Stanley Cup champion 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09
    www.thephysicsofhockey.com

Dobber Sports Sophomore

5x5 means the five standard categories in hitting and pitching

Hitting = HR, RBI, AVG, SB, R

Pitching = W, KO, SV, ERA, WHIP(H=BB/IP)

I am also in a league that is 4x4. We exclude R and WHIP because those stats are somewhat mirrored in the RBI and ERA numbers anyway.

I would suggest keeping the first year simple. You could also use a draft format. If you want to mirror a Major League team then I would suggest 24 rounds. The position requirements could be 10 pitchers, 5 OF, 2 C, 1 1b, 1 2b, 1 ss, 1 3b, 1 cornern infield, 1 middle infield, 1 designated hitter.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Hey man,

Thanks for joining the site.

This is the pool I\'ve been running for a few years now.

Both my Hockey (HHKL) and Baseball (DKL) are based on the same system I devised over the first season or two of play. It is a living document essentially as the rules have changed as needs become apparent.

They are keeper leagues and incorporate very exciting turnover rules yet let you keep and protect a significant portion of your roster. Most people have really enjoyed the league since it has reached this level of drafting and turnover. Makes it very exciting.

www.projectreturns.proboards100.com

That is the baseball one.

You will find the info under DKL Rules.
    08-09 (Before Ownership): DHL Stars
    Fisher, Fehr, Hagman, Stoll, Dubinsky, Zubrus, Brule, Boyd, Stempniak, Bergeron, HIggins, Nylander, Langkow, Bourque, Burrows, Pyatt, Crombeen, Hunwick Ohlund, Salo, Bergeron, Thomas, Quick, Ersberg, LaBarbera, Raycroft

12-13 (Present): DHL Capitals
    Heatley, Semin, Vanek, Roy, Ribeiro, Kessel, Couture, Turris, Kopitar, Marleau, Hossa, Pominville, Conacher, Nyquist, Silfverberg, Rajala, Arcobello, Karlsson, Green, Enstrom, Wisniewski, Ellis, Elliott, Murphy, Brennan, Benoit, Fleury, Bryzgalov, Elliott, Nabakov, Lehner

Dobber Sports Apprentice

oh and you might notice, I havn\'t updated the news feed this year yet lol.
    08-09 (Before Ownership): DHL Stars
    Fisher, Fehr, Hagman, Stoll, Dubinsky, Zubrus, Brule, Boyd, Stempniak, Bergeron, HIggins, Nylander, Langkow, Bourque, Burrows, Pyatt, Crombeen, Hunwick Ohlund, Salo, Bergeron, Thomas, Quick, Ersberg, LaBarbera, Raycroft

12-13 (Present): DHL Capitals
    Heatley, Semin, Vanek, Roy, Ribeiro, Kessel, Couture, Turris, Kopitar, Marleau, Hossa, Pominville, Conacher, Nyquist, Silfverberg, Rajala, Arcobello, Karlsson, Green, Enstrom, Wisniewski, Ellis, Elliott, Murphy, Brennan, Benoit, Fleury, Bryzgalov, Elliott, Nabakov, Lehner

Dobber Sports Recruit

if you\'re trying to get hockey guys into baseball, i\'d suggest a shallow format and simple rules..

some leagues are AL or NL only, i\'d suggest sticking to all players.

Draft vs Auction will be a question as well. Auctions are far more interesting than a draft format, but drafts are easier to run if everyone won\'t be in the same room together. http://fantasyauctioneer.com/ is a good site to do mock auctions and you can run your official auction on there if you want.

you can do roto or points based. your hockey pool sounds like roto, so probably stick to that.

Head to head is also a lot of fun. One unique thing about baseball is that all 30 teams play every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I was involved in a league that was weekends only. It allowed you time to trade or setup your lineup from Monday to Thursday, and then the weekend was when the action happened.

Would suggest going with a one year format in the first year, especially if you go auction. At the very least, limit the number of keepers to only a handful in year one.

Limiting your roster size is a way to keep a handle on the prep required for first timers. Standard roto is a 23 man roster. You could go as small as a 9 man batting lineup (all positions + utility) and a 7-9 man pitching staff. Our league has 10 batters and 10 pitchers, and with only 8 owners, it\'s very shallow at 160 players to prep for. Benches are optional as well, but add more GM tools at your disposal.