Thread: Catchers Article

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Catchers Article

I am curious to hear other people\'s take on the catcher position. I do not put a premium on drafting catchers which seems to put me in the minority. What do you guys see for Weiters and Clement in 2009? Any other comments on my catcher rankings for 2009?

John \"Broadway\" Toner

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Catchers Article

hey Broadway..

depends on the league, i know in mine it took the better part of a decade to have catcher dollar values fall to reasonable levels because everyone believed Piazza and Pudge warranted top dollars. there are still some that believe the top catchers are overpaid in my league..

i think it still comes down to marginal value, so a runs leader among catchers like mauer or martin outproduce the next tier in the category by 25 runs which is a advantage to have in a single roster spot. so even though catchers don\'t score as many runs as the other position players, having a catcher who scores 70 instead of 40 is the same as having an outfielder who scores 95 intead of 65.

a good point about teams not reaching for a 2nd catcher though.. it takes a pretty hardcore scarcity believer to pull off something like that..

i do think that catcher is a risky position to sink a lot of dollars into because of the wear and tear of the position and greater exposure to injury risk.

Dan

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Catchers Article

yep agree. second tier C isnt worth taking over a second tier from another position when drafting. A $1-2$ on a C is the way to go unless you can get a guy cheap. Minor leagues if you have them in a keeper is a good spot to stash C tilll they show you something.