Thread: 2009\'s Utley of Catchers

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default 2009\'s Utley of Catchers

When you are drafting this season, you will either see or yourself draft Utley somewhere in the first few rounds despite his being out for a couple months to start the season. His value is just that damn high.

Well now with Hernandez out the door, the writing is on the wall and the Orioles organization isn\'t hiding it. They expect Wieters to make a major league splash some time this season. Just like Utley, he will be someone you should draft in almost any league, despite his delayed debut. He will probably spend some time in Triple-A. Just like Utley, his potential value at a scarce position, though unproven, is just worth the draft snag. He should now go a few rounds earlier in all leagues after today\'s news even though he may not show up until June.
    08-09 (Before Ownership): DHL Stars
    Fisher, Fehr, Hagman, Stoll, Dubinsky, Zubrus, Brule, Boyd, Stempniak, Bergeron, HIggins, Nylander, Langkow, Bourque, Burrows, Pyatt, Crombeen, Hunwick Ohlund, Salo, Bergeron, Thomas, Quick, Ersberg, LaBarbera, Raycroft

12-13 (Present): DHL Capitals
    Heatley, Semin, Vanek, Roy, Ribeiro, Kessel, Couture, Turris, Kopitar, Marleau, Hossa, Pominville, Conacher, Nyquist, Silfverberg, Rajala, Arcobello, Karlsson, Green, Enstrom, Wisniewski, Ellis, Elliott, Murphy, Brennan, Benoit, Fleury, Bryzgalov, Elliott, Nabakov, Lehner

Dobber Sports Rookie

I drafted Utley in a one year league already and I am wondering if I should try and swap him for a guy like Pedroia just for this year?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Doulos wrote:
    I drafted Utley in a one year league already and I am wondering if I should try and swap him for a guy like Pedroia just for this year?
    I would do it for this year only

Dobber Sports Stud

Wieters will be huge...let\'s just hope Adam Jones and Wieters can help this team at least turn it around a little.

Broadway...I would have to disagree with you. I think Pedrioa is on the up and up. Not in homers but could produce a ton for the Sox. They are both really good 2nd Basemen but here are their numbers.

Utley:
    BA HR RBI OBP SLG
    .292 33 104 .380 .535

Pedroia:
    BA HR RBI OBP SLG
    .326 17 83 .376 .493

Here are some other stats that I like:
    Pedroia: 118 Runs, 213 Hits, 20 SB, 52 Strike-outs
    Utley: 113 Runs, 177 Hits, 14 SB, 104 Strike-outs

Pedroia is also 5 years younger for keeper leagues (I know you were talking one year) and I think those are important categories. Don\'t get me wrong..Utley beats Pedroia in Homers, RBI, and SLG but Pedroia will become a better player as time goes on.
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

True that Utley is older than he seems because he came into the league relatively late but I\'d still rather have him than Pedroia considering trackrecord and his still relatively prime age. Still, considering the situation, I\'d take Pedroia yes. Two-three months without a top 2b could kill you for the season. I guess it depends on what your backup 2b would be otherwise.
    08-09 (Before Ownership): DHL Stars
    Fisher, Fehr, Hagman, Stoll, Dubinsky, Zubrus, Brule, Boyd, Stempniak, Bergeron, HIggins, Nylander, Langkow, Bourque, Burrows, Pyatt, Crombeen, Hunwick Ohlund, Salo, Bergeron, Thomas, Quick, Ersberg, LaBarbera, Raycroft

12-13 (Present): DHL Capitals
    Heatley, Semin, Vanek, Roy, Ribeiro, Kessel, Couture, Turris, Kopitar, Marleau, Hossa, Pominville, Conacher, Nyquist, Silfverberg, Rajala, Arcobello, Karlsson, Green, Enstrom, Wisniewski, Ellis, Elliott, Murphy, Brennan, Benoit, Fleury, Bryzgalov, Elliott, Nabakov, Lehner

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Jay Pain wrote:
    Wieters will be huge...let\'s just hope Adam Jones and Wieters can help this team at least turn it around a little.

Broadway...I would have to disagree with you. I think Pedrioa is on the up and up. Not in homers but could produce a ton for the Sox. They are both really good 2nd Basemen but here are their numbers.

Utley:
    BA HR RBI OBP SLG
    .292 33 104 .380 .535

Pedroia:
    BA HR RBI OBP SLG
    .326 17 83 .376 .493

Here are some other stats that I like:
    Pedroia: 118 Runs, 213 Hits, 20 SB, 52 Strike-outs
    Utley: 113 Runs, 177 Hits, 14 SB, 104 Strike-outs

Pedroia is also 5 years younger for keeper leagues (I know you were talking one year) and I think those are important categories. Don\'t get me wrong..Utley beats Pedroia in Homers, RBI, and SLG but Pedroia will become a better player as time goes on.
    I hear what you are saying, Jay and I really like Pedroia. BUT, do you remember what kind of April and early May Utley had in 2008? He was injured the rest of the year and his numbers suffered. It would not have been close in 2008 between the two if Utley was healthy the whole year and I think Utley would have an MVP also.

Utley is only 28, so he will be in his prime the next 5 years so I don\'t consider age a factor at all.

This all changes if by July, Utley is not fully healed but if I have to make a call for 2010 and beyond, It is still Utley for me.