Thread: 2008 Draftees

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default 2008 Draftees

With the signing deadline fast approaching, what are the forums\' toughts on who will sign and who will not.

Tim Melville signing out of highschool drafted in the 4th round following some mid-season projections of being drafted in the first round is a little surprising to me.

Yet to sign

#2 Pedro Avarez (Pit) - (Could go either way but as a #2 pick is he really going to gain leverage for next year?)
    #3 Eric Hosmer (KC) - ??
    #4 Brian Matusz (Bal) - He should get signed
    #7 Yonder Alonso (Cin) - Have not heard anything on this front, I can\'t imagine him not signing though.
    #9 Aaron Crow (Wsh) - Already signed an independent league contract ---- could see him sign or try again.
    #11 Justin Smoak (Tex) - Have heard he really likes playing in college, but I could not think of a better destination for the slugging 1B\'er. He\'d be crazy to not sign no?

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default 2008 Draftees

turns out Crow is the only one that didn\'t sign.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default 2008 Draftees

Poor Nats...
    08-09 (Before Ownership): DHL Stars
    Fisher, Fehr, Hagman, Stoll, Dubinsky, Zubrus, Brule, Boyd, Stempniak, Bergeron, HIggins, Nylander, Langkow, Bourque, Burrows, Pyatt, Crombeen, Hunwick Ohlund, Salo, Bergeron, Thomas, Quick, Ersberg, LaBarbera, Raycroft

12-13 (Present): DHL Capitals
    Heatley, Semin, Vanek, Roy, Ribeiro, Kessel, Couture, Turris, Kopitar, Marleau, Hossa, Pominville, Conacher, Nyquist, Silfverberg, Rajala, Arcobello, Karlsson, Green, Enstrom, Wisniewski, Ellis, Elliott, Murphy, Brennan, Benoit, Fleury, Bryzgalov, Elliott, Nabakov, Lehner

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default 2008 Draftees

They should\'ve just drafted Melville, many scouts believe he\'s better than Crow and they would\'ve probably signed him. But hey they\'re leading for the Strasburg sweepstakes.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default 2008 Draftees

As a Crow owner in one pool --- I\'m not all that disappointed that he didn\'t sign there. He stands a good chance of getting drafted somewhere better next season. Though questions of signability my drop him in the draft after this season. will be a crapshoot to see where he lands.

As for the others --- yea they all signed. All in a flury towards the midnight deadline. I had a feeling Smoak would not sign until Alonso did, just wasn\'t sure Alonso was going to.

Alls well that ends well.