Thread: Do you consider Alex Gordon a bust?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Do you consider Alex Gordon a bust?

The hype was huge and he has fallen well short... even after a decent start to 2008. He now finds himself hitting below .250 again.

What about Delmon Young? Power would make all the difference for him but he sure doesn\'t look like the best prospect in baseball to me. He was advertised as so for soooo many years. His attitude was the only reason experts would show doubt. So now what is the problem?

They are very young and I\'m still hopeful as a result, but I\'m just interested to see how others feel about them.
    08-09 (Before Ownership): DHL Stars
    Fisher, Fehr, Hagman, Stoll, Dubinsky, Zubrus, Brule, Boyd, Stempniak, Bergeron, HIggins, Nylander, Langkow, Bourque, Burrows, Pyatt, Crombeen, Hunwick Ohlund, Salo, Bergeron, Thomas, Quick, Ersberg, LaBarbera, Raycroft

12-13 (Present): DHL Capitals
    Heatley, Semin, Vanek, Roy, Ribeiro, Kessel, Couture, Turris, Kopitar, Marleau, Hossa, Pominville, Conacher, Nyquist, Silfverberg, Rajala, Arcobello, Karlsson, Green, Enstrom, Wisniewski, Ellis, Elliott, Murphy, Brennan, Benoit, Fleury, Bryzgalov, Elliott, Nabakov, Lehner

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I\'m with you on those two Status.

I dont think you can write them off as busts yet. Perhaps they are disappointments thus far but that\'s it.

With players like Braun, Wright, Miguel Cabrera, Lincecum all busting onto the scene and not looking back does not help the causes of those who take longer to adjust like Butler, Gordon, and Young.

I\'ll give them another two years before I totally give up on them as fantasy studs.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah... I am shocked by Young\'s power dropoff. Kinda random. I was expecting 25 homers this year and I think a lot of people were.
    08-09 (Before Ownership): DHL Stars
    Fisher, Fehr, Hagman, Stoll, Dubinsky, Zubrus, Brule, Boyd, Stempniak, Bergeron, HIggins, Nylander, Langkow, Bourque, Burrows, Pyatt, Crombeen, Hunwick Ohlund, Salo, Bergeron, Thomas, Quick, Ersberg, LaBarbera, Raycroft

12-13 (Present): DHL Capitals
    Heatley, Semin, Vanek, Roy, Ribeiro, Kessel, Couture, Turris, Kopitar, Marleau, Hossa, Pominville, Conacher, Nyquist, Silfverberg, Rajala, Arcobello, Karlsson, Green, Enstrom, Wisniewski, Ellis, Elliott, Murphy, Brennan, Benoit, Fleury, Bryzgalov, Elliott, Nabakov, Lehner

Dobber Sports Ace

there has been a general drop off in power, steroids anyone?, but it is way too early to consider either of these guys busts.

Both are hitting, albeit not very well in the Majors when alot of stars are still in the minors at their stage of their careers.

One of the problems with the hype today is that everyone expects stars in the minors to burst on the scene like Jay Bruce did, then when they struggle, like all players do questions like this arise.

Gordon will be fine, Young was overhyped but will be a productive major leaguer for quite a while.
    14 team keeper league (keep 15 plus 3 prospects)
    19 active, 8 bench, 2 prospects less than 40 NHL games. Play h2h with postions 3c, 3lw, 3rw, (3 felx forwards) 5d, 2g

C-E.Stall, Plekanac,Thorton, Turris, Little
    LW_Elias, Heatley (RW), Pacioretty
    RW-Erat
    D-Keith, Yandle, OEL, Giordano
    G- Rinne, Nabakov

(Farm) Beau Bennett, Jaden Schwartz

Follow me on Twitter @HardyintheWack

(draft in process)

Dobber Sports Rookie

Both could\'ve been a victim of being rushed into the major leagues. Delmon\'s power numbers suffered significantly once he jumped from AA to AAA, and then was brought up to the majors. Which is why I think Maybin could follow a similar fate.

Don\'t think Delmon is quite a bust yet, but he\'s starting to definitely earn that tag.

Gordon had 1 year of AA ball under his belt (and put up big numbers). Perhaps 1 more year of seasoning would\'ve helped him. I think this year will be an indicator if he can live up to the hype.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Hard to say that a prospect is being rushed when they dominate minor leagues (AA).

I have not been following the prospects for many years - however it seems quite common for a player who does real well at AA to go straight to the majors ---

I\'m beginning to doubt DYoung developing into the stud he was supposed to be....Gordon I feel will turn into a 3-4 ranked 3B\'er in the MLB (fantasy-wise) with upside for a top 2. --- I have faith. To borrow from Dobber -- \"Just dont think I\'d bet my house - maybe $20\" :-)

Edit: the Dobber quote was not about baseball players at all - it was his take on a hockey \'dilema\'.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Young did dominate AA ball, but as soon as he went to AAA, his power numbers took a hit.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

djkiang wrote:
    Young did dominate AA ball, but as soon as he went to AAA, his power numbers took a hit.
    Power #\'s are usually the last to come around as strike zone judgement allows players to be more patient and selective at the plate.

There are always exceptions. Delmon does not seem to be one.

What I\'m disappointed in is the apparent loss of the power/speed combo he was supposed to have. BOTH seem to have left him at least for the time being. Wasn\'t he supposed to be a 40-30 threat?

Still I\'d give him more time. I\'m sure he will become a solid MLB/Fantasy OF\'er --- but I\'m skeptic of his ability to become a top 3 round draft pick.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Although I\'d say that\'s true regarding his power numbers, his numbers suffered a huge drop off. From 22 HR, to 8 and 9 HR\'s?!?!

As a Delmon Young owner, I certainly hope there\'s room for improvement.
    Keeper League:

Dobber Sports Recruit

Status.

Great question, love the topic!

Gordon...
    Drafted before Ryan Braun, Ryan Zimmerman, (and Jay Bruce, but he\'s not 3b), and immediately after Justin Upton Gordon was touted to be Pujols\'ian in his immediate impact and overall value.

His minor league stats are STUPID good... Too bad the Royals are/were a team that needed a team full of Pujols, Manny, Arod (shortstop), Wright, and 1989 Ken Griffey Jr to even begin becomming a \"decent\" team.

1 Alex Gordon had the world of BBQ loving Kansas City on his young shoulders. He didn\'t get Brauns (slightly extra) time to work on pro-pitching, he didn\'t get an immediate reprieve or pat-on-the-back from the baseball world to take his time and build his confidence up. That\'s tough for a kid - phenom or not.

The fantasy world has built up these kids to be uber-robot projection machines for us, no?

Did Gordon hit .330, walk 100 times, bring in 100 ribby\'s, and mash 30+ dingers? ....(lol) nope. He did learn to strike out alot though!

Did he improve in the next season? yup.
    Did his homers travel incredible distances (measured/projected) - yup.
    Did he improve his walk rate, cut down his K rate, and improve other categories? - yup.

Is he an all-star? nope.

not yet.

Is he a bust. 49% no, 51% yes.
    But can he turn it around? absolutely. Can he provide near all-star numbers next year when he\'s forgotten about, can he provide fantasy relevant stats for us this year? absolutely. Is that a bust in my book? nope.

Is he the Albert Pujols of the powder-blue royals uniform wearing variety? nope.

and guess what... no one else is either. (braun, zimmerman, bruce, longoria, cano, justinupton, bj upton, maybin, pierce, and on and on and on...)

cheers

Dobber Sports Recruit

Great reply Cobra..good stuff

I dont have awhole lot to say here, as most of you said it, but I agree that Gordon isnt a \" bust\" but more of a disapointment thus far..

I do believe he will be an above average MLB player for many years, but not along the lines of the \" Pujols\" talk..

He will continue improve and who knows how much he improves, im a fan of his..