Thread: Climate Change (Abridged)

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Climate Change (Abridged)

I stated on Saturday that I would write a column this week about what kind of trades or moves the Sharks management should or could implement. I wanted to do this and show you different types of trades/moves that I would consider, but then again, this isn’t fantasy hockey and the intangibles and other factors muddy things up that self-proclaimed sports editorialist, like myself, make sound much easier than what reality has shown.

So here are some trade possibilities and signings I would love to see. I have some that are going to be classified as unlikely, but a fantasy of mine. Others will be possible trades, but I’m just shooting for players who have been in the rumor mill before and might be worth checking in on. Then I’ll show the trades that I think should happen and I’m also going to show you what the new roster would look like after the trades and signings with potential lines.

Keep in mind; the only people I’m thinking the Sharks should not trade are Couture, Pavelski (even if he didn’t show up this post season), and Burns.

The fantasy trades I wish could be performed:

1. Jordan Staal for Patrick Marleau++.
    Now before you go ballistic and lose your stools, hear me out. The Penguins just got knocked out in the first round against a Flyers team that seemed much hungrier than them. It was a great battle to watch, but I can’t help, but still think that something needs to change for them. Granted, I think the biggest issue is their defense, but they brought in Neal to play with Crosby, but he (Crosby) ended up hurt and Neal found himself having a masterful season with Malkin. I find it hard to see them breaking up that duo. Now Marleau who came into the league as a center has been playing most LW. Here is why I think he fits for Crosby, he may be a little older, but the dude can still fly and would be someone who could keep up with Crosby on the attack. Plus, he’s a good defensive forward who can kill penalties, something Staal was good at. So this could be a potential fit if the Sharks can find the complimentary pieces to make it work.

2. Sign the hopefully soon to be UFA Ryan Suter.
    I know, I know. He probably has a much better chance at going to Detroit if he hits the open market. I don’t know if the Sharks can pull it off, but if they can make some cap room by trading away some of their talent before the draft and during it, they have a good chance at possibly pulling this off. He would fill out the top end of the Sharks defensive pairing with probably Brent Burns.

3. Sign Zach Parise UFA.
    This move would bring the biggest change as it gives them a star scorer. Yes, guys like Marleau, Heatley, Cheechoo (huge disappointment over time) have done great scoring alongside Thornton, but some of these guys are dependant on their linemates and that’s always a factor, but some guys know how to create scoring opportunities. Parise is one of these special players. I would love to see this, but he’s likely to get a contract cap hit of around 7.5 million based on the fact that there has been an increase of forwards making too much.

Here are the moves that are more likely to happen, but are still pretty significant:

4. Trade Ryane Clowe+ for James van Riemsdyk+.
    A fellow member of dobberhockey.com brought this idea to me and I thought this was pretty ingenious. I love that JVR is youthful and still has a ton of upside. He’s battled some injuries, but so has Clowe. He’s signed for a good long while and Clowe is getting worn down. The Sharks would lose a bit of tenacity, but would gain a guy who has potential to be fiercely dominant on the ice. It’s a little bit of a gamble, but one I’d be more than willing to make.

5. Sharks RFA sign Chris Stewart.
    Talk about a guy who has lost all his trade value this year. He still has the size, the skill, and some serious attitude that would be welcomed on the Sharks. He isn’t great defensively for a power forward, but he has 1st or 2nd line skills in a puck possession game. The offer wouldn’t have to be huge as they have a ton of skill coming up and his value is shot with how they’ve dealt with him. He is a restricted free agent, but could be signed for a fairly decent price that wouldn’t cost too much in draft picks. Possibly a first and a 3rd if they keep it near what he is making now. If he doesn’t get a qualifying offer from the Blues then there is no need to worry about the picks, as he would then become a UFA.

6. Trade for Tyler Myers for Thornton
    Some have attributed this to Myers lack of offensive production, but that was never truly his forte. He has the ability to chip in offensively, but he’s a much better stay-at-home defender. He would be a welcomed addition, especially if he learns how to use that big body of his and throw it at the opposition a bit more. The Sabre’s have given Myers quite a boost for the future, but I wonder if they are regretting that cap hit now. Terry Pegula may approve a trade for Myers if the right package comes back.

7. Trade for Zack Bogosian using Vlasic+
    I used to be a big fan of Vlasic, but Pickles (his well-known nickname) has really disappointed in his offensive production, even this season with being paired with Brent Burns for the majority of the time. He’s still young and great defensively, but he really makes mistakes at the wrong time. The last two playoffs I’ve noticed him make mistake after mistake. He regresses during this time of the year and I don’t know if it’s postseason jitters or the wear and tear of him having stepped up into the NHL at such a young age and been eating minutes for years. I would really entertain this trade as I think Bogosian has a great future still.

8. Trade Marleau for Okposo+
    This would dump Marleau’s contract and bring back a natural winger who is cheaper, but also has a good chance of performing much better in the right situation. Plus, if the Sharks can get a good draft pick back, this is a win-win. The main issue is I don’t think Marleau would approve a trade to the Islanders. So this is a pipe dream, but if he would, especially since the Islanders may move in the near future, he might go for it. Playing with Tavares would be pretty cool too.

9. Trade Dan Boyle to the highest bidder for Draft picks/Prospects.
    There are many teams that would give a ton for a guy like Boyle in this day and age. He is a great leader, competes, and would be a great addition to a team like Montreal. He could mentor a guy like Subban and they have plenty of draft picks they could send back and/or maybe some young guys. They’d likely have to make some other moves to get themselves under that cap, but it could potentially be doable. Maybe they’d send Alexei Emelin back. He’d be an interesting piece to get a return on.

So the moves I would strongly encourage and would make if I was in the management would be:

Numbers 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. That’s a lot of movement, and would most likely not happen, but this is what the team could potentially look like.
    CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
    My Custom Lineup
    FORWARDS
    Zach Parise ($7.500m) / Logan Couture ($2.875m) / Martin Havlat ($5.000m)
    James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Chris Stewart ($3.250m)
    T.J. Galiardi ($0.735m) / Michal Handzus ($2.500m) / Kyle Okposo ($2.800m)
    Daniel Winnik ($0.950m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.594m) / Tommy Wingels ($1.000m)
    DEFENSEMEN
    Ryan Suter ($6.000m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
    Tyler Myers ($5.500m) / Zach Bogosian ($2.500m)
    Jason Demers ($1.250m) / Justin Braun ($1.250m)
    GOALTENDERS
    Antti Niemi ($3.800m)
    Thomas Greiss ($0.588m)
    ------
    CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,101,500; BONUSES: $0
    CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $2,198,500

The Sharks could resign Winnik, and Galiardi, Braun, and Wingels to fill out the bottom lines. I liked the way Winnik and Galiardi play and they bring some good bottom line depth with some flexibility for some time in the top 6 if need be. I didn’t trade Havlat as I didn’t see him as truly moveable with his past history and he was one of the best on the ice when healthy this past month. I also got rid of Doug Murray in the likes of the Myers trade with the picks coming back.

The bonus about these moves is that the Sharks restock their cupboards with the trades with BUF, NYI, and MTL or whoever is the highest bidder. I also had Thornton go for Myers with some picks being swapped on both ends. The team gets younger and the guys like Pavelski and Couture who are the familiar faces get to take their turns leading. Parise becomes the new captain, with Pavelski and Suter being the assistant captains.

The defense on this team is revamped, and the forwards are much more gritty with some potential scoring prowess. This is a team I could be excited about and this also leaves room for someone like Alex Stalock to come up the goaltending pipes and sees where he takes the team if he shows he’s ready.

Again, maybe one percent of this actually happens, but man, I would be a busy manager and would get manager of the year if this were possible. This is a complete overhaul and many don’t think that is needed, but this is doable. It would definitely be more complex than I’ve made it, but this is the type of Sharks team I would like to see in the future. One that has promise in the forward group that could really be physical come playoffs, and a defense that would make other teams think twice.

P.S. I copy and pasted this from my blog but had to cut out some potential moves to fit it within post limitshttp://thesharkremarks.blogspot.com
    Last edited by tgraveline; April 23, 2012 at 3:19 PM.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Veteran

Great writeup! I hope there are some big changes for the Sharks. They need to give the locker room a reboot.

As a Stewart owner, I'd love to see him land in SJ. I think it would help his game dramatically.
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Dobber Sports Genius

Nice write-up. I don't follow the Sharks nearly as closely as you, obviously, but from an outside perspective I think numbers 4 (Clowe/JVR), 5 (Stewart) and 9 (Boyle) are most realistic, with the outside chances of something like 8. I do think Marleau is likely moving on.

I don't see Staal or Bogosian going anywhere. You yourself mention Staal as a long shot, but I think Bogo is just as much a long shot, if not more. There's a mutual love affair between Bogosian, his coaches and GM, and the city, and I don't think there's any way he gets moved. The organisation knows what they've got in Zach Bogosian.

Myers for Thornton is interesting. I don't think the Sabres would move Myers, but that would certainly shake up both teams.

Anyway, good read!

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Well done TG - tweeting it now.

That said, get yer hands off Suter!!
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    Well done TG - tweeting it now.

That said, get yer hands off Suter!!
    Thanks so much Gates! I really do appreciate that.

I put a lot of time into that one and had a lot of fun with it. Finally putting my English degree and credential to use.

I want Suter so bad. He's so hot right now. lol
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP

G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Quote Originally Posted by tgraveline View Post
    Thanks so much Gates! I really do appreciate that.

I put a lot of time into that one and had a lot of fun with it. Finally putting my English degree and credential to use.

I want Suter so bad. He's so hot right now. lol
    It is you I thank! By my count, you are a regular in the Black Aces' section, providing tons of insightful feedback and thoughts.

As for Suter, the deeper the Preds go, there more likely he stays ... I hope haha
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Genius

It is going to be tough to keep him, because where does that leave Weber? If I had to choose, I'd take Weber. Then again, I have a huge man-crush on slap shots from the point that scare the crap out of people.

RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP

G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Ninja

Solid write up, well done man.

The only other guy I would protect on that team besides Couture and Pavelski is Clowe... I think you need guys like him to win, and he brings an edge that the Sharks definitely lack overall as a team.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Very well done, TG.
    I'd definitely agree that the Sharks need a lockerroom shuffling.

It's like Joe/Marleau/Boyle are so used to being seen as epic failures that they have become just that... but sooner, with less effort.

I definitely agree - they need to get something now from their aging veterans, who still have good trade market value.

Dobber Sports Genius

Thanks blayze and Pengwin. Glad to see more people are enjoying it. I've gotten more hits on my blog for that post and it makes up like more than a third of my total page views in the lifetime of that site. Crazy.

RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP

G-Holtby, Halak