Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: Oilers #1 Again... in the draft!

Dobber Sports Expert

I dunno I don't think they need a pure shut down guy, they're not a team that is built like Preds, I see them more of a Pens/Hawks/Wings type of team where they're going to outscore guys rather than beat them in close 3-2, 2-1 games...

Also I understand Green isn't as defensive as Suter, but I don't think he's that detrimental and if you compare the stats they're similar players in what they bring to the team. The problem is everyone will be after Suter, I mean look at the teams that need a number 1 D, I wouldn't be surprised to see a team offer him over $8 mil a season long term... Now you got the nice warm friendly confines of TB or the freeze your ass off in Edmonton lovely -40 winters, even if Edmonton offers $9 mil a season to Suter, he'd go TB over Edm... Green I could see getting away with $6 maybe 6.5 mil, so you kinda gotta ask yourself is Suter worth the $2.5-3 mil difference cause everyone will be going after Suter, while there's less suitors for Green...

I think they just need to build it similar to the Caps model, offense, offense, offense with a bit more help on the defensive front from the bottom pairings (not from the top pairing)...

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    you're missing he point, they don't need offense, they need a d-man that can move the puck, they already have Whitney for a couple more years, they need one more guy who can move the puck on the PP and quickly out of the zone and then they need to completely invest in D, they are not going to have any trouble scoring, they just need to increase thei puck control and eliminate turnovers in their zone
    Doesn't a d-man that can move the puck go hand in hand with a offensive defenceman? How can you have a dman move the puck who isn't offensive? And aren't you pretty much describing Green down to a T (someone who can increase puck control)?
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gotlaid View Post
    Doesn't a d-man that can move the puck go hand in hand with a offensive defenceman? How can you have a dman move the puck who isn't offensive? And aren't you pretty much describing Green down to a T (someone who can increase puck control)?
    no that's entirely incorrect...pure offensive d-men are often suspect on D, that's why they seldom have careers as successful as those who play strong D. But just because you are defensively responsible doesn't mean you don't skate or move the puck well...I'm surprised I even need to provide examples but um...Scott Niedermeyer is one of the quintessential examples...guys playing today would be like Hamhuis, Seabrook, Chara. The problem with Green is that he sucks defensively, he's at best a niche player for pure offense or PP, the Oilers don't need more offense, they have that base well covered, they need solid D and goaltending

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    no that's entirely incorrect...pure offensive d-men are often suspect on D, that's why they seldom have careers as successful as those who play strong D. But just because you are defensively responsible doesn't mean you don't skate or move the puck well...I'm surprised I even need to provide examples but um...Scott Niedermeyer is one of the quintessential examples...guys playing today would be like Hamhuis, Seabrook, Chara. The problem with Green is that he sucks defensively, he's at best a niche player for pure offense or PP, the Oilers don't need more offense, they have that base well covered, they need solid D and goaltending
    Niedermeyer is fairly offensive as well, I agree that he is two-way, but there aren't very many of those available this summer. Suter isn't Niedermayer... and there isn't really any players in this day and age that can be considered a Niedermayer...

Also you have to think about it as team structure as well, Hamhuis, Seabrook and Chara are all great two-way guys, but they don't carry the offensive load for their teams. Hamhuis has Edler/Bieksa/Salo, so I would argue that the Canucks success this season is due more to Edler/Bieksa/Salo's play than Hamhuis being a great two-way guy...

Seabrook as well, he's a great shut down guy, but the reason for the Hawk's success is because of Keith/Leddy being able to contribute offensively and getting the forwards the puck, than Seabrook's strong defensive play...

Chara I can't argue, but I would think that the Bruins success this season is due to him tallying 52 points and taking on more of an offensive role, while letting the Seidenbergs, Ferences, Boychucks to take on more of the defensive stuff. If he tallied 44 in a more defensive role like he did last season, they wouldn't be near the success that they have this season.

For me in order to be a Cup contender, you kinda need that 1 game-breaker D, plus 2-3 guys who are solid defensively (Seabrook, Bieksa, Hamhuis), then a really great shut down pair... I think the Oilers are missing that 1-game breaker... Whitney potentially could be that guy, but I'd like to see if happen first before I'm ready to say that he's the guy.

I don't think I've seen that from Suter yet... He's a solid complementary guy (40-45 points) like Seabrook, Hamhuis, but he needs a Edler, Keith, Weber to be the stir stick, I don't think he's a stir stick player. Oilers don't have a stir stick player, and putting Suter in that role I think he'll fall on his face...

One thing that I will argue is that a strong offense isn't the be all and end all, just because you have a strong offense doesn't guarantee scoring... You look at the Caps, Ovechkin/Backstrom/Semin pretty decent offense, but if you don't have a D to get the puck or stir the offense, they're pretty useless... Same could be said about the Jackets, they had reasonable offensive production in the past, but couldn't get that D to get them the puck, which is why they couldn't get it done... Is there something behind the JJ acquisition at the deadline that helped sparked the offense? Ducks this season, Vissy stinks it up, and doesn't matter that you have Perry, Getzlaf, Ryan or Selanne, they sucked...

On the flip side, you have the Panthers, not really a great offense (serviceable but not great), have a stir stick defenseman in Campbell, boom they go from a a bottom-three team to winning their division...

The Sens, offense you could say is all right but not great. Add in a stir stick of Karlsson, they go from bottom of the league to the playoffs...

So when you say they don't need offense cause it's taken care of, I don't think that's a fair statement. Unless I see Whitney get into Karlsson, Campbell, Buffy, Boyle territory, I think they still need to get an offensive defenseman, landing or going after a two-way guy isn't going to get it done.
    Last edited by Maaaasquito; April 11, 2012 at 11:35 PM.

The Great One

Seabrook as well, he's a great shut down guy, but the reason for the Hawk's success is because of Keith/Leddy being able to contribute offensively and getting the forwards the puck, than Seabrook's strong defensive play...
    Seabrook and Keith led the team in powerplay and short handed ice time.

Chara I can't argue, but I would think that the Bruins success this season is due to him tallying 52 points and taking on more of an offensive role, while letting the Seidenbergs, Ferences, Boychucks to take on more of the defensive stuff.
    Chara also led his team in special teams play.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyGuru View Post
    Seabrook and Keith led the team in powerplay and short handed ice time.
    Not sure if that's the case... Seabrook (2:15) and Keith (3:09) didn't really have comparable PP TOI, PK TOI yes they did Seabrook (2:28), Keith (2:17). The real difference is when you look at actual production Keith picked up 13 PPP compared to Seabrook with just 4. Leddy wasn't far behind with 11...

I'm not questioning Seabrook's value to his team currently, what I'm questioning, is would Seabrook still be as valuable to the Hawks if Keith/Leddy wasn't there?

If Seabrook went to the Oilers without having Keith as the stir stick, he'd be like JBo, great defensively strong guy, but if the team doesn't win, he's run of the mill. The Hawks are doing great, so everyone jumps on the what a great defensive pairing Seabrook/Keith is and best in the world...

Seabrook is great with a guy like Keith stirring the pot.

Seabrook himself is not the stir stick...

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyGuru View Post
    Chara also led his team in special teams play.
    Chara I can't argue, but what I will say is that he's had 3 50+ point seasons, with quite a few 40's sprinkled in as well... I haven't seen that from Suter yet... I'd happily pay Chara 8+ million a season because he also brings in a lot of the intangibles (captain material, 215+ SOG season after season, hardest shot in the NHL, plus his ability to HIT and BS) He's worth every penny of $8 mil. Chara is definitely stir stick material...

Suter is good, don't get me wrong, but he's not worth $8 mil... and compared to Chara is not stir stick material...

Weber is stir stick, Suter is not...
    Last edited by Maaaasquito; April 12, 2012 at 12:25 AM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Got a good chuckle at Dobber's ramblings.

Problem with the Oilers trading is that they probably value their picks way too high. Last year they wanted 6th overall + Karlsson for 1st overall.

Also a side note, the Oilers need to get their shit together with their training staff as they can't go through another season of RNH, Hemsky, Hall, and now potentially Yakupov getting hurt. But with their luck and history, it probably happens again.
    I came away thoroughly impressed with their training staff after watching a video on Taylor Fedun's recovery. He is already back practicing with the team after having his leg disintegrated. Probably not enough to judge them on though.

I'm also pretty sure they recently had a huge change over in their training staff in the past couple years.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    As for the Oilers I gotta say I'm really impressed with Dubnyk. I'm starting to become a believer after seeing this guy play a handful of games. Hopefully he'll be able to carry this momentum into next season.
    You take that reverse jinx and shove it up your ass! I see what you are up to Bondon.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ace

Can Edmonton afford the contracts that RNH/Hall/Eberle/Yakupov will demand, and still fit the rest of a team under the cap? D-help isn't cap cheap.
    Weekly H2H
    G / A / P / +- / PowerPlayPoints / Shots / Goalie Wins / GAA / Save%

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by duducks View Post
    Can Edmonton afford the contracts that RNH/Hall/Eberle/Yakupov will demand, and still fit the rest of a team under the cap? D-help isn't cap cheap.
    Too early to know really. With a new CBA, things like salary cap, contract structure restrictions, etc, are all unknowns at this point. The fact that their ELCs will all be staggered will help some I am sure. If they are smart they will see that they have the makings of an amazing team and take Toews/Kane type contracts to help keep the core around long term.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Oilers have a ton of cap space and a ton of pieces they can open up capspace with if need be (Horcoff, Hemsky clears up over $10M right there - plus Smyth's new contract will be wayyyy down from his current earnings.)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

At this point smart trades and development become important - not exactly something the Oil have been renowned for over the past few years.

But if Pittsburgh can pay Crosby/Malkin/Fleury/Staal/Letang, I don't see why the Oilers can't similarly lock up their stars and then put smart contracts around them.

Dobber Sports Genius

I'd enjoy seeing the Oilers become the western version of the Penguins. I don't know if they can truly pull that off, but they have so many good guys it's possible. It will be difficult for them to retain those guys, especially if some feel like they aren't getting the ice time they need, but with injuries, this team could have similar struggles that the Pens have had, but fully healthy and mature Oilers in the future will be a scary sight, as long as the management there does find good solid pieces to fill out the top defensive pairings and the bottom lines that add enough grit to spread around at times.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak