Thread: Multi-player trade

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Multi-player trade

Long time listener, first time caller...

Hello all, I\'m considering making a major trade proposal but I find myself caught in the \"paralysis by analysis\" trap, so thought I would solicit some free advice.

Here\'s the vitals:

- 10 team keeper league
    - points only; (G = 1 pt, A = 1 pt, W = 2 pts, SO = 3 bonus pts)
    - 11 forwards, 3 d-men and 1 goalie on active rosters

The proposal:

To him: Daniel Briere, Todd Bertuzzi, Matt Carle, Henrik Lundqvist

To me: Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Ryan Whitney, 6th overall pick

Some notes:

- Defence and goalies are very important in our pool, currently I am very strong in both and he is very weak in both
    - Lundqvist is expendable for me because we only start one goalie and I also have Luongo
    - Carle is a bench player for me, Whitney would be in the lineup
    - I want to make a run at the title this year but need to add some proven forwards
    - pretty sure I can turn the 6th overall pick into Zach Parise
    - Bertuzzi is his favourite player

The scary thing for me is that both of us have very good young teams and I expect the two of us will be battling at the top for many years to come. So any deal I make with him that backfires will be doubly costly. I can contend this year, while he is still a year or two away.

Should I offer the trade?

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re:Multi-player trade

Ogie_Oglethorpe wrote:
    Long time listener, first time caller...

Hello all, I\'m considering making a major trade proposal but I find myself caught in the \"paralysis by analysis\" trap, so thought I would solicit some free advice.

Here\'s the vitals:

- 10 team keeper league
    - points only; (G = 1 pt, A = 1 pt, W = 2 pts, SO = 3 bonus pts)
    - 11 forwards, 3 d-men and 1 goalie on active rosters

The proposal:

To him: Daniel Briere, Todd Bertuzzi, Matt Carle, Henrik Lundqvist

To me: Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Ryan Whitney, 6th overall pick

In my opinion, I would offer the deal. It\'s hard to give up Briere, but to get Whitney is worth it I think, and especially if you think you can turn the 6th into Parise....who else is available in the say top 7 picks?

Some notes:

- Defence and goalies are very important in our pool, currently I am very strong in both and he is very weak in both
    - Lundqvist is expendable for me because we only start one goalie and I also have Luongo
    - Carle is a bench player for me, Whitney would be in the lineup
    - I want to make a run at the title this year but need to add some proven forwards
    - pretty sure I can turn the 6th overall pick into Zach Parise
    - Bertuzzi is his favourite player

The scary thing for me is that both of us have very good young teams and I expect the two of us will be battling at the top for many years to come. So any deal I make with him that backfires will be doubly costly. I can contend this year, while he is still a year or two away.

Should I offer the trade?

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Don\'t know why it didn\'t come up, but I said to try and do the deal if you can.....giving up Briere and Lundquist is hard, but Luongo takes some of the guesswork from that, and getting Whitney is worth losing Briere for.....who are the top 10 players available for you to draft...you said you possibly could get Parize at 6, so curious who you think top 10 are??

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Hey dynamo,

Right now I hold the fifth pick and would be looking to acquire the sixth as well, so there would only be four picks ahead of me. All four teams picking ahead of me have glaring holes in their defence and in net (which is why they finished at the bottom) so I expect a couple d-men to go in the top four. I\'m only interested in forwards, especially ones who will put up numbers this year. Players available at forward include:

- Nicklas Backstrom (I know, I know)
    - Paul Stastny
    - Zach Parise
    - Ray Whitney
    - Rod Brind\'Amour
    - Andrew Brunette
    - David Legwand
    - Jason Pominville
    - Aleksey Morozov
    - plus all the players from this year\'s draft class

I...am your father.

I think you should do the trade...as a last resort. It sounds to me like there are some teams who are desperate for goaltending and you could get a lot of value for Lundqvist.
    I do like this deal, I just think that with Lundqvist in their you could get a little more. But getting value for Bertuzzi is huge, so I would rather you do the deal than not...

Whitney will be the top scoring d-man in the NHL, and I think it could start this year (maybe second to Gonchar)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

PS - love the handle Ogie!
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Hey Dobber, thanks for the reply.

The thing is that there are some teams with really poor goalies but none of them can be considered \"desperate\" for goaltending. As I mentioned this is only a ten team league and each team only dresses one goalie at a time, so there are players like Giguere, Emery, Nabokov, Hasek, Biron, Backstrom all without a home and available in this year\'s draft, free for the taking. That really hurts Lundy\'s trade value for me.

I\'m going to propose the trade tomorrow. See what happens.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

When I saw the handle. I had to reply. Ogie should of had a spinoff movie I think. Something along the lines of him opening a butcher\'s shop or kitchen or something...lol.. But about the trade.

I think you should do it. Getting two or three starters for one. I would consider flipping Henrik for something better, but just my bias towards not wanting both twins on my team. You\'re right to worry about making your chief competition stronger, but you gotta believe you\'ll outsmart him later on something else. That\'s what I always think. :whistle:
    GWNHL Fantasy Cup Champs 06-07