Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Will Mike Green bounce back next year?

Dobber Sports Veteran

If you are trying to win next season I wouldn't waste your time. Find a solution that's a little more guaranteed to help now. If you are rebuilding his price is low enough that he could be a good pick up and a good gamble. However, I only see him getting 30pts next season. He needs a new team but he won't be traded.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Hey guys thanks for the replies,some very intriquing arguements both ways.Thats what I like to see when I pose a question.Anyways I decided to pass on Green and instead shipped out heatley for purcell and added Josi through waivers.Granted Josi is no sure thing next year,but I like his possible situation alot.I also don't think Purcell has topped out yet,there is room for a little bit more(not to much though),but I also think Heatley is more of a 25 goal man that he showed this yr(23 I believe).His skating is horrendous and he seems like he isn't in to it.How do you all think I have done?
    2010 and 2014 IceHoles League champion
    16 Team Dynasty League,H2H Scoring 1.5 PTS g,1 PT assist,PPG + 1 additional,SHG +1.5 Additional,.1 pts per PIM wins 4 pts shutout 3 pts ga -1 sv .08
    C Backes,Bonino,Lee ,Nelson,Tierney
    LW Cammalerri,Benn,Kunitz,Zetterberg
    RW Kessel,Hossa,Pominville,Saad
    D Barrie,OEL,McDonagh,Josi,Chara
    G Luongo,Rinne,Allen
    Minors Buchnivich,Kempe,H.Samuelsson,Kapanen,Lindell,Were nski,Sproul,M.Jones,S.Williams,Gillies,Darling

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by WingNutUpNorth View Post
    Hey guys thanks for the replies,some very intriquing arguements both ways.Thats what I like to see when I pose a question.Anyways I decided to pass on Green and instead shipped out heatley for purcell and added Josi through waivers.Granted Josi is no sure thing next year,but I like his possible situation alot.I also don't think Purcell has topped out yet,there is room for a little bit more(not to much though),but I also think Heatley is more of a 25 goal man that he showed this yr(23 I believe).His skating is horrendous and he seems like he isn't in to it.How do you all think I have done?
    Purcell and Josi...meh...boring! No drama , not as intriguing as Green!
    Ha! Just bugging ...its good. Purcell is one of those late bloomers. Did u trade them straight up?
    Fantasy Hockey Keeper Leagues
    {Linden Cup Year 9: 16 GM Points only - Hockeydraft} "Back 2 Back Champions!"
    {TBIM Year 3: 18 GM H2H - Fantrax}
    {NFHA II Inaugural Year 1: 20 GM Roto Salary cap- Fantrax}
    {ZFHL Year 1: 30 GM Roto Salary cap - Fantrax}
    {NHDL Year 1: 16 GM H2H - Fantrax}

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by pretsel27 View Post
    Purcell and Josi...meh...boring! No drama , not as intriguing as Green!
    Ha! Just bugging ...its good. Purcell is one of those late bloomers. Did u trade them straight up?
    Yep Gave Heatley for Purcell.Tired of the drama with heater,and he sat most nights for me anyway.
    2010 and 2014 IceHoles League champion
    16 Team Dynasty League,H2H Scoring 1.5 PTS g,1 PT assist,PPG + 1 additional,SHG +1.5 Additional,.1 pts per PIM wins 4 pts shutout 3 pts ga -1 sv .08
    C Backes,Bonino,Lee ,Nelson,Tierney
    LW Cammalerri,Benn,Kunitz,Zetterberg
    RW Kessel,Hossa,Pominville,Saad
    D Barrie,OEL,McDonagh,Josi,Chara
    G Luongo,Rinne,Allen
    Minors Buchnivich,Kempe,H.Samuelsson,Kapanen,Lindell,Were nski,Sproul,M.Jones,S.Williams,Gillies,Darling

Dobber Sports Veteran

Maybe elite players dont forget their skills, but injuries can take a player from the top of the league to obsolescence in the blink of an eye, especially when the athletes are playing at the highest level and that line is so fine.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Wedgy View Post
    I am. I am counting on a minimum of 50 points, but I think it will actually end up being more than 60. The condition is a Green being healthy.

Not sure why you are comparing to Letang. Green has been hurt the last two years in a row. That is why his numbers have been shitty. A healthy Green next year will be fantasy gold.

Also, let me say this. Green was not a product of the offensive environment in WSH. He was a major component of it.

You speak of Malkin and that is a fairly good comparison. He had two down years in which he underwhelmed a lot of people. Hell, he wasn't even a point per game player last year. His PPG ratio went down two years in a row. What happened this year? He kicked major ass. lucifer316, were you one of the guys that gave up on Malkin? I am one that believes that players dont unlearn skill. (Cheechoo aside.... dont get me started on him...) Elite players are elite players. Not a lot of guys that put up truly elite numbers, just forget how to do so.

AO and Green are elite players who have the skill to completely dominate the game offensively. They just need to have the shackles taken off a bit by the coaching staff and find that groove again. My opinion is that they will.
    I think you make a great point here.

I also want to touch on this. The past two seasons, Mike Green has been playing for Bourdeau (SP) who wanted to change the way the CAPS play as a team and Mike Green as a defensman specifically. He wanted Green to stop playing with his offensive edge and focus more defensively and play more to that. Points will fall in that case alone. plus, the CAPS as a team have sucked offensively with and without Green. Carlson, who was supposed to be the better version of Mike Green, hasn't been great either. There is something else going on there than just Mike Green, injuries and talent.

I do think the off season will be huge, if Dale Hunter doesn't come back and they hire someone who will actually coach the team to their strengths, we could see a different CAPS team next season.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    letang missed 31 games this season and his ppg this season was .21 higher than last season green missed 33 games the season before this one and his ppg was half of what it was the season prior or a .52 ppg drop

i compared them because they both missed similar portions of a season and had completely different outcomes and you were blaming injury

i compared them because letang was missing some of his key offensive players at various times over the last two seasons and managed to improve his numbers while you were giving green the excuse of an injured backstrom and an uncaring ovechkin

the reason i brought up letang is because i think your excuses are bunk other players go through similar things and dont drop off and letang is one of them

great players find ways to be great look at crosbys ppg average the last two seasons if you dont believe me

green hasnt found a way to be great during similar adversities to other players and to me that calls into question him being an elite player

he might get back there there is no question but to act like 50+ is a guarantee when you have nothing about his play for two seasons to back that up now seems pretty far fetched

i speak of malkin missing time last season along with crosby and staal and how letang still managed to improve his numbers from the prior season and yet green is being given the excuse of an injured backstrom

i never had malkin on a team to give up on if i had him i would have traded him for the right price of course he has problems with injuries to his wheels he may never get injured again or he could become pavel bure if i could get the right deal without having to be the one to worry about that i most certainly would

its no different than everyone souring on crosby now

ovechkin still put up over a point per game last season while green dropped a half a point

and while ovechkin certainly dropped more this season green dropped yet again

ovechkin has rattled off 11 points in his last 10 games while green has 1 point in 22 games since his injury

so how is it that the coach took the shackles off of one and not the other

wideman managed 46 points good enough to tie for 3rd on that team this season how is green being shackled where wideman wasnt

again i am not saying green cant get back there i just dont see how anyone can come in here and draft him as if he is a guaranteed 50+ point player
    holy moly lucifer, try some punctuation. It really helps.

As I said in a previous post, there are other factors beside straight numbers and PPGA. Sure Letang is and has always played the game he is playing. Bylsma isn't trying to change his game. Bourdeau did in fact change Green's game and the entire CAPS team for that matter. Stack on Green's injuries, the addition of other offensive defenseman, (taking away offensive situations for Green) and you have a change in statistics. Players struggle, it is a fact of life, especially when injuries pile up. Malkin is a great example as a player recovering from two terrible injury riddled seasons. I'm not sure if Green has the same committment, but the opportunity is definitely there, he has the talent.
    Last edited by Gaborlick; April 16, 2012 at 1:10 PM.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Pro

Everyone criticized this guy for defensive play which has improved a lot. Unfortunately he's playing a very conservative offensive game now. He's back on the #1 PP now though. Lets see what happens nexxt couple of games.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Gaborlick:"holy moly lucifer, try some punctuation. It really helps."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, this has to be the funniest thing I have read this year.

Thanks Gabs!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Gaborlick View Post
    I do think the off season will be huge, if Dale Hunter doesn't come back and they hire someone who will actually coach the team to their strengths, we could see a different CAPS team next season.
    I've said on other boards that defencemen, while admittedly inconsistent, don't put up back to back PPG seasons by accident. I tried to trade for Mike Green for 3 years and I finally got him. I told myself that the off-season and hopefully a new coach may be all he needs.

However if Washington knocks off Boston, I doubt Hunter gets fired. Squeaking into the playoffs alone may have kept him his job (expectations seem to be too low in WSH), and I noticed the last 2 games he's been riding the pine on the PowerPlay.

WTF??

I'm starting to worry a little. Perhaps he'll bust his ass in the offseason and return to form, but it doesn't look good when you can't crack the #1 PP.

Someone tell me I'm overreacting. Has anyone been watching the series? Has Wideman (and Hamrlik??) been that much better?

Oh...and he's RFA. Anyone have an educated guess on what happens this summer? Maybe a trade to Edmonton?
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Gaborlick View Post
    holy moly lucifer, try some punctuation. It really helps.

As I said in a previous post, there are other factors beside straight numbers and PPGA. Sure Letang is and has always played the game he is playing. Bylsma isn't trying to change his game. Bourdeau did in fact change Green's game and the entire CAPS team for that matter. Stack on Green's injuries, the addition of other offensive defenseman, (taking away offensive situations for Green) and you have a change in statistics. Players struggle, it is a fact of life, especially when injuries pile up. Malkin is a great example as a player recovering from two terrible injury riddled seasons. I'm not sure if Green has the same committment, but the opportunity is definitely there, he has the talent.
    and what about when his production drops again next season what is the excuse going to be then

the nosedive his production has seen is pretty monumental

ovechkin and backstrom and others havent lost the amount of production he has playing under the same system and as i pointed out other players get hurt and manage to still put up numbers while they are healthy

and if green is losing offensive situations to other defensemen thats because he isnt earning them

yeah there are ups and downs i get it and there are struggles i get that as well but when your production is cut in half from one season to the next and then in half again the following season there is something wrong with that

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    Someone tell me I'm overreacting. Has anyone been watching the series? Has Wideman (and Hamrlik??) been that much better?
    Wideman has been terrible, yet Hunter keeps playing him because he's coached him before (in the OHL). Here's all you need to know about Hunter:

Dennis Wideman PP time: 6:03
    Mike Green PP time: 0:41
    John Carlson PP time: 0:48

Keith Aucoin PP time: 4:01
    Alex Semin PP time: 3:07
    Troy Brouwer PP time: 3:45
    The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jeffl97 View Post
    Wideman has been terrible, yet Hunter keeps playing him because he's coached him before (in the OHL). Here's all you need to know about Hunter:

Dennis Wideman PP time: 6:03
    Mike Green PP time: 0:41
    John Carlson PP time: 0:48

Keith Aucoin PP time: 4:01
    Alex Semin PP time: 3:07
    Troy Brouwer PP time: 3:45
    Ovi TOI around the 9:00 mark before he scored the game tying game.

Terrible coach, especially for this team.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Ovi TOI around the 9:00 mark before he scored the game tying game.

Terrible coach, especially for this team.
    That's why I'm hoping for them to lose. Can't see them firing Hunter if they win
    10 team keeper league points only
    pts: g=1 a=1 w=3 so=2 Cap 99.21m
    starting roster 12f, 6d, 1g Current Cap 99.12
    Forwards
    Malkin, Scheifele, Gaudreau, Kessel, Point, Atkinson, Palmieri, Bratt, Tuch, Borgstrom, Fiala, Steel
    Defense
    Hedman, Krug, Muzzin, Subban, Yandle, Brodie,
    Goalie
    Bobrovsky
    Reserves
    Hinostroza, Brannstrom, Andersson, Vaakanainen, Blackwood

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rougie View Post
    That's why I'm hoping for them to lose. Can't see them firing Hunter if they win
    You and me both. People keep asking why I'm cheering for Boston and it's because I want WSH knocked out in first round.