Poll: Western Conference Quarterfinals: (1) Vancouver Canucks vs (8) Los Angeles Kings

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Conference Quarterfinals: (1) Vancouver Canucks vs (8) Los Angeles Kings

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    I think you have it backwards. Canucks are that much better and that much deeper, particularly their third line with Sammy. Also the addition of Booth makes them better.

Torres just about cost them the Chicago series last year.

And there is a bitterness from last year that will drive them.

Don't be shocked if Canucks take this in 4.
    This is not the Sammy Pahlsson of years ago. The only thing he has going for him is that he is vet of the playoffs. By now most Canuck players already are. He is a shutdown player with no offense and really the Canucks already had that. He was not the answer to take this team to the next step. I don't even remember the last time Booth actually did anything. His season this year was miserable. Give me Torres over Pahlsson any day. Torres at leat has some grit. The very thing the Canucks lack. Also give me Erhoff of last year over Booth. I really don't see them that much deeper at all.

2010: Canucks 117pts 262 goals for/185 goals against
    2011 Canucks: 111pts 249 goals for/198 goals against

I know you can extrapolate all sorts of things from those stats like injuries and what not but nothing in those stats tells me this team is better.

Before the playoffs started last season I actually thought the Canucks had a legit chance at winning. I thought they were dangerous.

This season I just don't have that feeling you know? Sure they are still a great hockey team but I just don't have that awe factor of them this post season if that makes sense.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I disagree. Everyone has had to deal with annoying overly cocky Nucks fans for the last 2 years now.

and then when you lose, you go and burn your own city, so no I don't think I'm generalizing
    Gotta be far more Canuck fan haters on this board than actual "annoying overly cocky Nucks fans".

Seems like anyone can support their team but Canucks fans these days! "Burn you city" stuff is old an tired.... Vancouver is far from the only hockey town to have a riot. Christ, even Boston has rioted. Give it a rest. They are a great team with passionate fans but every team in this league has dicks for fans. Any of your quotes can be found in similar fashion for other teams.

And yes, I am a Canucks fan. I am also a Flyers fan so I am a double *******
    Two Stroke Hockey League - Points only, full keeper
    Capwise Full Keeper H2H Roto Leagues: East Coast Fantasy League,
    Icey Cups Fantasy Hockey League - H2H Points, Full Keeper

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I disagree. Everyone has had to deal with annoying overly cocky Nucks fans for the last 2 years now.

The comments from Nucks fans in this thread:

and then when you lose, you go and burn your own city, so no I don't think I'm generalizing
    Not gonna lie Evan for someone who has been harping about ignorance all day you're certainly projecting a lot of it right now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    Not gonna lie Evan for someone who has been harping about ignorance all day you're certainly projecting a lot of it right now.
    Come on guys. Emoticon, made up quote...

Banned

Nothing would give me more pleasure this year than to watch the Kings sweep em in dramatic fashion, but its hard to envision how that might happen, the Nucks are simply too deep, too solid and too disciplined I think. That said, Richards is the type of guy that can take his play to another level when it matters most, if he comes to play this could be interesting

I'll say Kings in 6 cause that's what I want but I have a feeling it will be the reverse

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sausage View Post
    This is not the Sammy Pahlsson of years ago. The only thing he has going for him is that he is vet of the playoffs. By now most Canuck players already are. He is a shutdown player with no offense and really the Canucks already had that. He was not the answer to take this team to the next step. I don't even remember the last time Booth actually did anything. His season this year was miserable. Give me Torres over Pahlsson any day. Torres at leat has some grit. The very thing the Canucks lack. Also give me Erhoff of last year over Booth. I really don't see them that much deeper at all.

Ok, Torres was borderline useless unless you count 'momentum killing penalties' as a 'skill'.

As for Errorhoff? Pfft.. I'd trade nobody for him, and by that I mean I would rather have an empty roster spot. Ehrhoff's D is second rate and he loves those turn over creating passes. I used to joke last year that you knew the puck was going in the net any time Ehrhoff had it... you just didn't know which net.

All flagrant hyperbole aside, Pahlsson is an improvement over Torres in a big way. The 3rd line of Pahlsson, Higgens & Hansen has been the Canucks best for the past few weeks.
    Ehrhoff's big contribution was offence, but the d-corp this year is just as productive.
    In a nutshell I don't miss either Torres or Ehrhoff, and the players in their place offer a better chance to win.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Pro

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sausage View Post

Fair enough but i think the big upgrades are on the fourth line.
    I feel the fourth line with Lappy/Raymond, Malholtra and Kassian/Bitz is an upgrade on Hodgeson, Tambelini, Bolduc and Lappy fourth line of last year
    Last year Malholtra was not a 100%. The third line with Pahlsson has been the best line recently. Pahlsson is there to shut guys down so Kesler doesn't have to.
    The Grit provided by Torres has been replaced by Bitz, Weiss and Kassian.
    Plus there is depth in Ebbett and Reinprect.

(Did ya catch the Booth goal on Saturday night against the oilers?)

Just my thoughts, we will find out the truth on Wednesday !!
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

Dobber Sports Veteran

Can't believe people are talking smack about Pahlsson unless they haven't been watching the games, because he has played awesome.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Master

This'll actually be a much more interesting series than I thought at first glance. Looking at Vancouver's schedule, there's no denying that their division did help them gain the first spot.

In 24 games, the Canucks went 18-5-1 with 79 goals for and 43 goals against. This was done against teams with a combined record of 145-140-43, which combined is not a winning record. Their total for the season was 51-22-9 with 249 goals for and 198 goals against.

So in the 24 matches between the sub-par NW division that was equal to 29% of their schedule, they recorded 35% of their wins, only 19% of their losses, scored 32% of their goals, and only let in 21% of their goals.

Compare this to the 2nd place Blues, that had much, much tougher schedule. In 24 games, the Blues went 10-9-5 with 55 goals for and 59 goals against. This was done against teams with a combined record of 170-128-32. Their total for the season was 49-22-11 with 210 goals for and 165 goals against.

So in the 24 matches between the incredible Central division that was equal to 29% of their schedule, they recorded 20% of their wins, 42% of their losses, 26% of their goals, and 36% of their goals against.

Compare these numbers to those of the Canucks, it's obvious which team had a lighter schedule. This isn't meant to say that the Canucks don't deserve to be in the playoffs, but rather that maybe 1st overall and a President's Trophy wasn't their destiny this year. Their past games against the Kings have been incredibly well-matched, and I think that if Luongo is anything short of solid, the team goes down.

I think I'm gonna change my pick, and say that the Kings win this one in 7 if the Canucks don't take advantage of powerplays, take too many undisciplined penalties, or Luongo seriously falters. This could be the most underrated series this round, it'll be incredibly close.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    This'll actually be a much more interesting series than I thought at first glance. Looking at Vancouver's schedule, there's no denying that their division did help them gain the first spot.

In 24 games, the Canucks went 18-5-1 with 79 goals for and 43 goals against. This was done against teams with a combined record of 145-140-43, which combined is not a winning record. Their total for the season was 51-22-9 with 249 goals for and 198 goals against.

So in the 24 matches between the sub-par NW division that was equal to 29% of their schedule, they recorded 35% of their wins, only 19% of their losses, scored 32% of their goals, and only let in 21% of their goals.

Compare this to the 2nd place Blues, that had much, much tougher schedule. In 24 games, the Blues went 10-9-5 with 55 goals for and 59 goals against. This was done against teams with a combined record of 170-128-32. Their total for the season was 49-22-11 with 210 goals for and 165 goals against.

So in the 24 matches between the incredible Central division that was equal to 29% of their schedule, they recorded 20% of their wins, 42% of their losses, 26% of their goals, and 36% of their goals against.

Compare these numbers to those of the Canucks, it's obvious which team had a lighter schedule.
    They were 2 wins each heads up this year, with the Blues getting one charity point.
    Compared to the rest of the league:

Point Percentage (and points) against the three Western Divisions
    Vs Pacific
    Van 65% (26pts)
    StL 67.5% (27pts)

Vs Central
    Van 65.6% (21pts) (not counting vs StL... if you include Stl: 62.5% 25pts)
    StL 50% (20pts)

Vs NW
    Van 74% (37pt)
    StL 68.5% (22pts) (Not counting vs Van... if you include Van: 67.5% 27pts)

Vs Eastern Conf
    Van 63.9% (23pts)
    StL 83.3% (30pts)

The only place where the Blues were significantly outperformed the Canucks was against the Eastern Conference, and I can't help but wonder if being two timezones closer and a much shorter plane flight might have helped with that.

At very least the fact that the Canucks put up more points against the other teams of the Central than the Blues (in 9 less games) is kind of contradicting the 'Canucks won buy soft division' logic.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    They were 2 wins each heads up this year, with the Blues getting one charity point.
    Compared to the rest of the league:

At very least the fact that the Canucks put up more points against the other teams of the Central than the Blues (in 9 less games) is kind of contradicting the 'Canucks won buy soft division' logic.
    Yes, but the Canucks' division did help them clinch the first seed. The point I tried to make is the if the Canucks did have to play 6 games against the Wings/Blackhawks/Predators, they likely wouldn't have finished with a President's Trophy. I just think that the Canucks aren't as dominant as it seems, and they are far from a lock in this series.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

There is always a upset in the 1st round that nobody expects to ever happen. And I'm not sure why but I have a funny feeling that this is the series where the upset will take place.

Kings in 7. Doughty scores the winner in game 7!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    Yes, but the Canucks' division did help them clinch the first seed. The point I tried to make is the if the Canucks did have to play 6 games against the Wings/Blackhawks/Predators, they likely wouldn't have finished with a President's Trophy. I just think that the Canucks aren't as dominant as it seems, and they are far from a lock in this series.
    And if the Blues had done better than 10 wins in 24 games against the Central then they would have won the President's trophy... if they had equalled the Canucks production against those other teams in the Central (or even come close) they would have been well clear of the Canucks at year's end. They didn't take care of their own business, plain and simple.

Incidentally, at no point in time this year have I ever refered to the Canucks as dominant. I spent most of the past 2 weeks wondering how the hell they were competing for the President's Trophy. They've looked shaky (a lot) and they've been finding ways to win when things aren't working. Nothing dominant, but they earned it.
    /S

Victoria DH

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    There is always a upset in the 1st round that nobody expects to ever happen. And I'm not sure why but I have a funny feeling that this is the series where the upset will take place.

Kings in 7. Doughty scores the winner in game 7!!
    After a spin-o-rama at the blueline no doubt!
    /S

Victoria DH

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

HAHAHA. I am definitely feeling it!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..