Thread: Finally - First NHL Game

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Finally - First NHL Game

I finally was able to make it to a game. I went to the Flames-Coyotes tilt on Tuesday.

Here are my impressions.

1. The ice looks smaller in person than it does on TV. Ive seen college hockey games before in person but never the NHL

2. Hockey games are great in person because you are so close to the action.

3. If anyone thinks hockey is boring, they are an idiot and have NEVER been to a game in person, the problem is the product is MUCH better in person than it is on TV.

4. The Coyotes SUCK on offense. I dont even know if I saw pass on the tape all night long.

5. Too bad I dont actually like the Coyotes, if I did, I would want season tickets, or at worst a ticket package of 6-7-8 games.

6. Iginla was clearly the best player on the ice. That first goal he scored after that good check behind the net was simply amazing!!

7. Phaneuf played well but it seemed that he misplaced some pucks along the boards and wasnt able to keep them in the offensive zone. I knew he was 6\'3\'\' but he looked pretty imposing.

8. I\'d want Derek Morris on my team, and I am not even talking about the goal he scored.

9. Carcillo is fun to watch, even if he spends as much time in the box as he does on the ice.

10. Id love to see the Oil-Yotes game on March 15th but I am going to be in Dallas that weekend

11. I have to make it a point to get tickets for the Oil EVERY time they are in Phoenix.
    Blue Line Club Hockey League $ Keeper - 14 Teams (G,A,+/-,SOG,Hits,W,GAA,Sv%, SO)
    Keepers - Duchene, Ovechkin, Kessel, Stewart. Letang, Karlsson, Rask
    Prospects - Hall, Fowler, Bernier, Huberdeau,

Power Play Hockey League $ Keeper - 14 Teams (G,A,+/-,SOG,Hits,W,GAA,Sv%, SO)
    Keepers - Toews, Parise, Semin, Letang, Kessel, Fowler, Niemi, Pavelec
    Prospects - Landeskog, Gerbe, Lindback, Burmistrov

Dobber Sports Guru

great comments! you\'re lucky to live in the land of cheap tickets and winter golf!

Dobber Sports Guru

and yes, morris is a horse back there. i can\'t remember right now who calgary got when we traded him, but i hope it worked out...

wait, did some digging, it\'s complicated, but basically we traded morris for warrener, yelle, leclerc, and boucher. ugly.

Dobber Sports Expert

glad to hear you were able to make it to a game, it truly is a special thing

Dobber Sports Ninja

You should be buying some Yotes tickets. They are going to be a lot of fun to watch over the next few years.

Agreed on the Yotes future - I am sure Ill go to some more games, the problem for me is that I am an Arizona transplant, like much of us here, and I really dont care much about the Coyotes. I\'m trying to make them my 2nd team right now but its hard. For what its worth I am not from Alberta either, but what fun would it be to not cheer for a specific team?

Also for those of you interested Id say the arena was 2/3rd\'s full and maybe 40% of the crowd were Flames fans. Im basing that on the sheer number of people I saw with Flames gear on, and on the reactions after the goals were scored.

The Flames fans were also more passionate. Many of the Yotes fans I saw were men 60+ who likely simply got the tickets through their work at a discount somehow. I wouldnt even consider them fans, rather people there for the entertainment dollar.

Anyway I did mention to a group of Flames fans on the way in, that although their city is 100 times better as a hockey city, they cant beat our winter weather

I was also suprised by the number of Alberta license plates I saw when leaving the arena. I am not sure if they were snowbirds themselves, or actually MADE the trip from Canada. Either way it was impressive.
    Blue Line Club Hockey League $ Keeper - 14 Teams (G,A,+/-,SOG,Hits,W,GAA,Sv%, SO)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Now that there is a light at the end of the tunnel for the Coyotes, and they start making the playoffs on a regular basis, hopefully that building will start to fill to the rafters.

Nothing helps better than a winning team.

I\'ve never really been a Jets/Coyotes fan, but I am excited for this team. Lots of good young talent that is fun to watch.

...if I might add, we are currently dating, and she is quite a handful in the bedroom...

I agree with that also. If this team can make itself a playoff team on a quasi-regular basis, which SHOULD happen sooner rather than later then they will start drawing larger crowds.

I...am your father.

I love this team. They have great offense, just give them time. Calgary has an excellent system that makes other teams look bad sometimes. So don\'t judge by that game. In two years, Phoenix will be a top 10 NHL team and in three they will be top 6.
    Great post
    B)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi