Thread: Claude Giroux pickup

Dobber Sports Star

Default Claude Giroux pickup

The flyers are bringing him up I think if he does good Ill keep for a keeper . We can keep 2 rookies as keepers this year.

The Great One

Is it confirmed that he is getting called up?

Dobber Sports Star

Yes He will play against Ottawa

The Great One

Wow- thanx for the info! Cant believe I was in the dark on that one...

Dobber Sports Sage

holllly its a wonder why no one else has said anything about this on here...well I guess its a good thing its low key.

THANKS ballsakic

Karma to you!
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Sophomore

What kind of potential are we talking here??

Dobber Sports Guru

i can\'t find this anywhere... killer heads up!

i would say minimal production this year... but you never know. i\'m picking him up cuz i have space to take a chance on a guy.

Dobber Sports Sage

I personally compare the kid to danny briere...from what Ive seen they are both relatively tiny players, right handed, but very gifted...he looks like briere on the ice anyway...and IMO, like briere, hes got the potential to hit somewhere between 85-95 points BUT size is a factor here...he is only 5\"10 and 170 lbs...which doesn\'t fit in too well on that rough and tough flyers team...time will tell...
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    G

Dobber Sports Sage

This confirms the callup and gives some background info on the 20 year old...

ALL THINGS PHILLY SPORTS
    Covering the Eagles, Flyers, Phillies and Sixers

Monday, February 18, 2008
    Claude Giroux to Debut for Flyers

Desperate time call for desperate measures. The Flyers, with injuries mounting and fresh off their seventh straight loss, have called up 20 year old Claude Giroux, who had been playing with the Gatineau Olympiques of the QMJHL. Giroux, the 22nd pick in the 2006 draft, has been tearing up the QMJHL this season, netting 88 points (33 goals, 55 assists) in 47 games. Giroux played briefly with the Phantoms last year, but he is basically skipping the AHL altogether to come and play with the big club. Hockeysfuture.com says the following about the 5 foot 10, 169 pound prospect\'s potential:

Giroux’s size may have been a hindrance in the old NHL, however, he appears to be a prototypical product for the net NHL, with blazing speed and dynamite skill. He has the potential to be a first-line winger.

This move signals one of two things: either the Flyers are going to look towards the youth for the remainder of the season, or they are desperate for warm bodies and want to give this kid a chance. I say it is the latter. With wingers Simon Gagne, Joffrey Lupul and Steve Downie all out with injuries, the Flyers need someone with some skill to play on a scoring line. Calling up more Phantoms would mean the team would be loaded with 3rd and 4th line talent, but a guy like Giroux has the playmaking skills to be more than just a checker.

Giroux will make his debut against Ottawa on Tuesday. With the Denis Tolpeko injury, the Flyers probably have to make another move for a forward, so look for them to call someone else up. I would guess that Kyle Greentree will continue his trek back and forth across the parking lot and come play for the Flyers on Tuesday. This is a tough week for the Flyers, with the Senators and Sharks on tap. This could be a make or break week. If the Flyers lose both games and end up on a nine game losing streak, they can forget about Peter Forsberg and look to get more guys like Giroux some playing time.

One last, random fact about Claude Giroux. He plays roller hockey in his spare time, for the Ottawa L\'Otekipe of the National Capital Inline Hockey League. He tore the league up last year, getting 51 points in 10 games.

anyone know of any fantasy inline hockey league sites? I think I just found my franchise player:lol: .
    RW
    D
    G

Dobber Sports Sage

i cant find the article anywhere either, thanks for posting it! man i cant wait!

Here is a Giroux Q&A from just a couple days ago...i dont think he knew he was getting called up lol

Quick hits with Claude Giroux
    2008-02-16
    BOUCHERVILLE, Saturday, February 16, 2008 – This week, the official website of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League presents an interview with Gatineau Olympiques all-star winger Claude Giroux.

You were a member of Canada’s national junior squad at the 2008 World Junior Championship. What made the experience so special?

\"The atmosphere in the dressing room was incredible. You had a collection of team leaders from across the Canadian Hockey League. It was interesting to see how everybody supported each other throughout the tournament.\"

What were the key messages of head coach Craig Hartsburg?

\"He was always reminding us that we were representing our country. I think that there were a few teams which were a bit stronger than us, but he said that if we wanted to win, all we had to do is work even harder.\"

You were selected in the first round by the Philadelphia Flyers at the NHL Entry Draft a few years ago. Are you in constant communication with the organization?

\"I speak to them from time to time, but nothing more. I don’t think that they want to distract me from what I’m trying to do with the Olympiques.\"

When do you believe you’ll be ready to make the jump to the NHL?

\"It’s hard to say; maybe next year or two to three years from now. It depends on the Flyers, but I’ll be ready to attack at camp this summer.\"

Until then, have the Flyers asked you to keep working on specific aspects of your game?

\"They’d like me to get quicker and stronger, since I’ll be facing much bigger players in the NHL.\"

You are one of the “Q’s” top point-getters. What are your biggest assets?

\"I have good vision. Also, we have a good team this year, so it’s easier for me to make plays.\"

The Olympiques made a few moves during the trade period. What has the atmosphere been like in the dressing room in the second half of the season?

\"I think that we have a good group of players. Every day, we’re having fun out there. All the guys are happy to be here and it shows. The new players didn’t have any trouble adapting. It was fast and easy.\"

Gatineau is third in the TELUS division standings. What will be the focus as the team gets ready for the playoffs?

\"Ideally, we want to get better each game. We’re working hard every day to try to do things better and that’s our main goal until season’s end.\"
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Sophomore

woah woah woah!
    Franchise player???
    what are we talking here? A 100 point potential?

Dobber Sports Sage

As I said before...Im thinkin more around 85-95 point potential.
    RW
    D
    G