Thread: Looking for a 5th dmen

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Looking for a 5th dmen

As I\'ve said in another post, my dmen have been quiet lately (Redden and Whitney mainly). I\'m now looking for a 5th dmen that can carry the load.

Here\'re the most notable FA:

Berard, Coburn, Tarnstrom, Salo, Wisniewski

They are all interesting...

Who would you grab with my league settings (G, A, PPP, SHP)? I\'m planning to drop Malone for one of this.

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Star

Personally I don\'t like anyone on Columbus so I wouldn\'t even bother looking at Tarnstrom. But with my biased views aside he\'s got 4 pts. in 4 games since coming over and all of them on the PP, which would help your PPP.

It looks like Salo is back on track from his earlier injuries and playing well lately, 10 pts. in his last 13 games (7 on the PP) 6 pts. in his last 6. I think with Vancouver being a buyer at the deadline hoping to bring in some more offence could only benefit Salo especially on the PP.

Coburn 12 pts. in 16 games in 2008 only 3 of those came on the PP though, with 1 SHP (1st of the year). Philly\'s offence is stacked and once they get rolling again he\'ll be putting up points but may not be as beneficial as Salo on special teams.

Berard 7 pts. in his last 7 games, however it took him almost a month to play those 7 games. His inconsistency in terms of being in the lineup might be frustrating. 5 of his 7 pts. came on the PP.

Wisniewski 8 pts. in his last 8 GP. Only 2 PPP however, he doesn\'t QB the powerplay I imagine with Seabrook\'s latest extension, he\'ll be the one running the show for the rest of the year. He does have a SHG to his credit (from the 2nd game of the season).

Safest pick I would have to go with Salo. Then Coburn, only because he doesn\'t get the special teams points. Tarnstrom and Berard are riskier picks because of their situations and Wisniewski is on a hot streak right now, but Chicago won\'t continue scoring at their current pace (17 goals in their last 4 games) so I\'m sure his numbers will start to taper off.
    [color=#008000]24 Team / 3 Tier Roto League
    G|A|+/-|PIM|PPP|SOG|Hits|BS
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1
    C: Tavares, Duchene, JStaal, Marner, Grigorenko, Dubois, Barzal
    LW: Landeskog, Teravainen, Pearson, Wilson, Pulkkinen, Bittner
    RW: PKane, Gaborik, Virtanen, Rantanen, Stewart, Sprong, Chiasson, Vey
    D: OEL, Barrie, Bogosian, Larsson, McNabb, Oduya, Bigras
    G: Bobrovsky, Korpisalo, Hutton, Hellberg

Dobber Sports Giant

Thanks for this other good in deep analysis! I was really going to pick Coburn or Tarnstrom here, but saw Salo in there. I didn\'t notice his PPP though. Thanks for pointing it out!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Assuming there are no keeper implications for you I would grab Tarnstrom until he slows down for two or three games. Then see who is available then. Isn\'t Coburn still nursing his bum injury?

Dobber Sports Giant

Thanks Reeveta. There\'s definitely no keeper interest here. I just need somebody who\'ll give me some points while my other dmen have their fingers in their nose!

As for Coburn, he got back yesterday and got 1g and 1a...

Dobber Sports Giant

I would like to make a move tonight so any other thoughts?