Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: THN future watch 2012

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

No worries man, I like a healthy debate once in a while.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Banned

Lehner and Zibanejad over Silfverberg is silly.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Lehner and Zibanejad over Silfverberg is silly.
    Why do you say that?
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Why do you say that?
    Doesn't get the hype but I think he is their best prospect at the moment.

Dobber Sports Legend

Doesn't get the hype but I think he is their best prospect at the moment.
    Wow. That's some lofty praise. I love Mika's complete game and Lehner looks like a rock - he was stellar tonight vs. the Champs.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Banned

Wow. That's some lofty praise. I love Mika's complete game and Lehner looks like a rock - he was stellar tonight vs. the Champs.
    Me too. I am not saying it's stupid to put Mika so high though. He'd also be getting a lot more hype if he was in North America IMO. His team in Sweden is so bad.

Dobber Sports Legend

Me too. I am not saying it's stupid to put Mika so high though. He'd also be getting a lot more hype if he was in North America IMO. His team in Sweden is so bad.
    Like Landeskog is proving to be, I think Zibanejad will be one of those gritty, big game players who just finds a way to get things done. I look forward to seeing him play in the NHL - hope he makes the NHL full-time next season.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Banned

Like Landeskog is proving to be, I think Zibanejad will be one of those gritty, big game players who just finds a way to get things done. I look forward to seeing him play in the NHL - hope he makes the NHL full-time next season.
    Well I doubt it happens but you might get to see him in the NHL next week. His season ends Tuesday. He has played very few games so I believe they will want him to come to NA to finish the year. Unlikely in the NHL, though.

From what I've seen of him though, he's a lot less gritty/physical than a Landeskog. More of a finesse player.
    Last edited by Big Ev; February 28, 2012 at 10:12 PM.

Dobber Sports Legend

Well I doubt it happens but you might get to see him in the NHL next week. His season ends Tuesday. He has played very few games so I believe they will want him to come to NA to finish the year. Unlikely in the NHL, though.

From what I've seen of him though, he's a lot less gritty/physical than a Landeskog. More of a finesse player.
    Yeah, Landeskog is a beast. Mika will get dirty though and crashes the net big-time, which is where the big goals are scored.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    I never said he wasn't good at all, I just believe there are better prospects. I know he's a quality young dman, but I wouldn't put him that high in the rankings.

Nyquist>Brodin
    Schwartz>Bjugstad
    Murphy>Erixon
    Anyone of these pairings above could be argued. From a team perspective (not fantasy) I'd say the right side is the better choice (altho I like Murphy a lot)

I agree with Big Ev on Brodin. This kid is a HUGE up-and-comer. Skates like the wind, very smart player at both ends and is very poised.

Dobber Sports Stud

Silfverberg looks good, no doubt about it. But if I'm drafting today I take Zibanejad over him. Silfverberg's numbers are good in the SEL, no denying it, and I think he'll be a good player. But let's not forget that he's a 2009 draft pick and one of the oldest players in the 2009 class at that. And for those that are expecting big numbers right away I point out that Paajarvi and Josefson, both younger than Silfverberg, put up better numbers than he did in their draft year and their first season post-draft (at which point both of them left for NA).

Banned

I wasn't basing my opinion of Silfverberg off numbers alone. Numbers should never be the main focus for Swedes (or prospects in general actually). Basing it off his skillset, intangibles, and just how dominant he is every game. Anyways it doesn't really matter, don't really care where he is ranked by THN. Just think he will have a better career than Zibanejad. Think both are quality blue chip prospects though.

I honestly believe that Silfverberg goes higher than Paajarvi and Josefson and just about every other Swedish forward (European) since 09 in a re-draft today.

Edit: also think he has an edge over other Swedes because he took his time to develop and make sure he was ready for the NHL. Other Swedes who have come to North America so early aren't having a ton of success (except for Landeskog but he went to the CHL).
    Last edited by Big Ev; February 28, 2012 at 11:50 PM.

Banned

Another thought: I like how THN put Etem outside the Top 20.

Dobber Sports Stud

Ev, your point about him staying longer in Sweden to develop is well taken. It might end up being a difference-maker between him, Paajarvi, Josefson, Lander, etc. That delicate balance of not leaving too early or staying too long. Maybe he got it right.

Dobber Sports Pro

Brodin is a very smooth dman. He may have more NHL value than fantasy.

I like that Schultz is not in the top 20 which should mean I can snag him in my summer draft.