Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: JvR practices...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    No, i don't feel entitled to my paycheck or anything else in life. We're owners of nothing and stewards of everything, unless you're going to tell me we take it all with us beyond this life.

Your comments make as much sense as JvR being in a fog, not able to play, but able to drive. Yeah, that's a good look on his safety and well-being, not to mention that of others. But it's all good because he's young and rich. What was i thinking?
    So anybody not physically able to play in the NHL should be confined to a hospital bed? Interesting theory. You better go yell at Travis Zajac, I saw him walking to the store the other day and he supposedly has a foot injury. Silly whippersnapper, feeling entitled to a life of luxury while the Devils fans are forced to deal with his absence from the lineup.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Skin Blues View Post
    So anybody not physically able to play in the NHL should be confined to a hospital bed? Interesting theory. You better go yell at Travis Zajac, I saw him walking to the store the other day and he supposedly has a foot injury. Silly whippersnapper, feeling entitled to a life of luxury while the Devils fans are forced to deal with his absence from the lineup.
    I think you're missing the point. JVR using social media to talk about how he's taking so-and-so for a spin in his new Audi A7 while he's publicly come out and said "he's in a fog and can't play" is in poor taste. It's like calling out sick from work then going on twitter and telling the world you're taking a ride to the mall. JVR is a pro athlete and whether he likes it or not, what he does in a social setting will be critiqued and scrutinized. I think to assume that fans (paying customers) don't have a right to question JVR's condition - or tact at the very least - when he hasn't played in many weeks is silly. If you're in such a "fog" shouldn't your top priority be resting and healing so you can get back to work and help your team? Telling the world you're cruising in your A7 is in very poor taste in this situation - and I'm sure his employers share this sentiment.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Meanwhile he's tweeting how he's picking up his new Audi A7 and can't wait to take it for a spin. I'm sick of hearing how these "concussions" are so devastating yet everything is happy go lucky on the social media front. The minute JVR heard about the rampant trade rumors, he was suddenly out with a terrible concussion. I'm a die-hard Flyers fan and JVR fan to boot but call me skeptical. Even if his concussion is legit and he's in a "fog", it's terribly poor taste to be tweeting how you're going to be enjoying your shiny new toy on the road when you can't even get on the ice and earn that contract.
    I really don't think that's fair.

I've had two concussions this year from hockey, the first two of my life, one was a grade 3 and the other a grade 2. Regardless of their grade, it was brutal. The worst part is a week later you wake up feeling fine, shower, get dressed all with no issues and you go to pick up a backpack and you almost fall over from getting the spins. Concussions suck, but its physical activity that agitates the symptoms, not buying a car. The guy needs to do something with his time, so why does it matter that he's doing something that won't hinder his recovery? Trust me it is f'ing boring having them and being out for 2 and a half months and 2 months respectively. I don't think him tweeting or buying a car has anything to do with his health, nor should it matter to us.
    GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Mike Ribeiro, Patrik Elias, Tyler Johnson, Stephen Weiss, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll
    LW: Gabriel Landeskog, Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Johansson, RJ Umberger, Matt Cooke, Justin Abdelkader
    RW: Troy Brouwer, Daniel Alfredsson, Erik Cole, Shane Doan, Jackob Silfverberg
    D: Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Joni Pitkanen, Erik Gudbranson, Matt Carle, Dmitri Orlov, Seth Jones, Hampus Lindholm
    G: Henrik Lundqvist, Anton Khudobin, Jason LaBarbera, Devan Dubnyk, Anders Lindback

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPuckCanuck View Post
    I really don't think that's fair.

I've had two concussions this year from hockey, the first two of my life, one was a grade 3 and the other a grade 2. Regardless of their grade, it was brutal. The worst part is a week later you wake up feeling fine, shower, get dressed all with no issues and you go to pick up a backpack and you almost fall over from getting the spins. Concussions suck, but its physical activity that agitates the symptoms, not buying a car. The guy needs to do something with his time, so why does it matter that he's doing something that won't hinder his recovery? Trust me it is f'ing boring having them and being out for 2 and a half months and 2 months respectively. I don't think him tweeting or buying a car has anything to do with his health, nor should it matter to us.
    TwoPuck

I understand your point. I'm a Flyers and JVR fan, so I'm not trying to be overly critical here, really. But, you know, most times it's not "what" you do or don't do, it's the perception that matters. Was JVR wrong for buying a car? Of course not. Was it in poor taste to present the case that you're excited to go out and take your A7 for a spin the day after you said you couldn't skate because you were in a fog? IMO, yes. And when JVR chooses to put his daily life out there, it does matter to his fans and people who care about the team. If there was no emotional attachment to a team or its players, the NHL wouldn't exist.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Wizard

I think you're missing the point. JVR using social media to talk about how he's taking so-and-so for a spin in his new Audi A7 while he's publicly come out and said "he's in a fog and can't play" is in poor taste. It's like calling out sick from work then going on twitter and telling the world you're taking a ride to the mall. JVR is a pro athlete and whether he likes it or not, what he does in a social setting will be critiqued and scrutinized. I think to assume that fans (paying customers) don't have a right to question JVR's condition - or tact at the very least - when he hasn't played in many weeks is silly. If you're in such a "fog" shouldn't your top priority be resting and healing so you can get back to work and help your team? Telling the world you're cruising in your A7 is in very poor taste in this situation - and I'm sure his employers share this sentiment.

Ding,ding,ding,ding,ding!!!! We have a winner. You got it, Fung.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Apprentice

TwoPuck

I understand your point. I'm a Flyers and JVR fan, so I'm not trying to be overly critical here, really. But, you know, most times it's not "what" you do or don't do, it's the perception that matters. Was JVR wrong for buying a car? Of course not. Was it in poor taste to present the case that you're excited to go out and take your A7 for a spin the day after you said you couldn't skate because you were in a fog? IMO, yes. And when JVR chooses to put his daily life out there, it does matter to his fans and people who care about the team. If there was no emotional attachment to a team or its players, the NHL wouldn't exist.
    Putting that way, I agree with you. In the end it was his choice to put it out there and let people know. Not the smartest considering even the best of fans (like yourself) question the players ethics and where his priorities lie. That is understandable, I only was rubbed the wrong way when you said "I'm sick of hearing how these "concussions" are so devastating yet everything is happy go lucky on the social media front." Unfortunately these types of injuries aren't the same as a fracture or a tear, where physio and rehabilitation are essential to the healing process. With concussions it's always a waiting game and there is nothing to really be done.

Like I said, putting it the way you did above, I can see where you're coming from. He should be more aware of the message he is sending out there and how it can be perceived.
    GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Mike Ribeiro, Patrik Elias, Tyler Johnson, Stephen Weiss, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll
    LW: Gabriel Landeskog, Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Johansson, RJ Umberger, Matt Cooke, Justin Abdelkader
    RW: Troy Brouwer, Daniel Alfredsson, Erik Cole, Shane Doan, Jackob Silfverberg
    D: Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Joni Pitkanen, Erik Gudbranson, Matt Carle, Dmitri Orlov, Seth Jones, Hampus Lindholm
    G: Henrik Lundqvist, Anton Khudobin, Jason LaBarbera, Devan Dubnyk, Anders Lindback

Dobber Sports Stud

http://twitter.com/#!/broadstbull

JVR says there's a chance he plays Sat., depends on how he feels in morning. #Flyers.

Dobber Sports Wizard

League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury