Thread: miller time?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default miller time?

So anyone have any logical reasons that they can share on why miller will finish the season strong? All I've got is a gut feeling (or maybe it is wishful thinking) :-)
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Certainly possible, the only logical reason is that he's historically been an elite goalie and he's also a fierce competitor. He's the only guy in the Sabres dressing room who's shown any fire during their freefall.

I think Bryzgalov and Miller are two prime candidates for a bounceback in the 2nd half.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Certainly possible, the only logical reason is that he's historically been an elite goalie and he's also a fierce competitor. He's the only guy in the Sabres dressing room who's shown any fire during their freefall.

I think Bryzgalov and Miller are two prime candidates for a bounceback in the 2nd half.
    I still have a hard time with granting Miller 'elite status' (and I know I am in the very small minority on this.

However, simply looking at his numbers I don't see it. This is his 7th season as the starter (and aged 32). In that time he's posted exactly one season with a GAA below 2.50 and one season with a save percentage about .920. I would expect an elite goalie to be consistently better than that. In an era where we still see sub 2.00 GAAs no less.

I realize there is a bunch or arguments to be made re Sabres team, he is a workhorse, he wins 30+ games (which starter doesn't?), etc. etc.

If we are going to call Miller elite then welcome Cam Ward to the club as well. He also has 1 sub 2.50 GAA season and 1 season at .920+ save percentage, and also usually wins 30+.

Not crapping on Miller (or Ward). But when I think of the elite goalies I think of the ones able to keep solid peripherals consistently. Miller is still living off his one superb season in 2009-10. Other than that one season can we really call him an elite goalie?

I do think he is much better than his numbers indicate now and would assume they come back to earth a bit in second half.
    Keep 4- H2H Yahoo (G, A, P, +/-, PP, SH, GWG, SOG, W, GAA, SP%, SO)
    Start 6 F, 4 D, 2 G

F: Crosby, Getzlaf, E Staal, Couture, Brown, Dubinsky, Read, Benn, Heatley, Doan, Iginla
    D: Karlsson, Keith, Girardi, Yandle
    G: Price, Howard, Theodore
    IR: Perron

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by St. Patrick View Post
    I still have a hard time with granting Miller 'elite status' (and I know I am in the very small minority on this.

However, simply looking at his numbers I don't see it. This is his 7th season as the starter (and aged 32). In that time he's posted exactly one season with a GAA below 2.50 and one season with a save percentage about .920. I would expect an elite goalie to be consistently better than that. In an era where we still see sub 2.00 GAAs no less.

I realize there is a bunch or arguments to be made re Sabres team, he is a workhorse, he wins 30+ games (which starter doesn't?), etc. etc.

If we are going to call Miller elite then welcome Cam Ward to the club as well. He also has 1 sub 2.50 GAA season and 1 season at .920+ save percentage, and also usually wins 30+.

Not crapping on Miller (or Ward). But when I think of the elite goalies I think of the ones able to keep solid peripherals consistently. Miller is still living off his one superb season in 2009-10. Other than that one season can we really call him an elite goalie?

I do think he is much better than his numbers indicate now and would assume they come back to earth a bit in second half.
    I second this.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think Buffalo needs to seriously retool their bottom 6. They have multiple non-checkers playing checking roles. Brad "I like" Boyes and Ville Lamo aren't the greatest players to have in these checking roles. Not to mention all the youngsters they have in the bottom 6. They should have gone for Talbot in the summer not Leino. I think the best thing Buffalo could do is offer up a player like Nathan Gerbe to a team like who is really deep like Nashville or St. Louis for a handful of bottom 6 guys.

Their defense will be bad until they fix this problem which will hurt Miller.
    Last edited by letangerang58; January 30, 2012 at 9:02 PM.
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz

Dobber Sports Stud

Bounce back for 2H? That was 3 weeks ago. We're already entering the second third. It's time for these guys to wake the F up!

Dobber Sports Veteran

So what do you guys think? Is anyone starting him today. I'm thinking of starting him.

Dobber Sports Ace

Absolutely...Miller has allowed 2 goals in the last 3 games and looked fantastic vs. the Rangers on 2/1. The team has gotten more healthy and seem to have come off the all-star break with renewed energy/urgency. They still struggle to score, play leaky defense, take stupid penalties etc. which hurts Miller, but I see Miller having his confidence back.
    Champion: 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016
    12 Team Keeper League - 12F, 6D, 3G, 3 Bench (Keep 6, in Bold)
    $250 Cap (0-9 +3; 10-19 +4; >20 +5 each season)
    WW = $10

G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, GWG, SHG, W, GAA, SV%, SO - Points Based League

F: Guentzel (15), Point (11), Barzal (18), WNylander (15), Trochek (1), Eberle (1), Domi (4), Toffoli (1), TBertuzzi (1), Buchnevich (1), Tuch (1), Puljujarvi (1)

D: Theodore (17), Heiskanen (15), Pulock (7), Sanheim (1), Faulk (1), Morrissey (1)

G: Markstrom (7), Saros (15), Binnington (39), Jarry (40)

B: DeSmith (1), Lindblom (1)

IR or Out: Ghost (1), OEL (9), Teravainen (28), PMyers (1)