Thread: Brind\'amour is out for the season

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Brind\'amour is out for the season

Torn ligament in his knee. This sinks the Canes for this year, I would think. Might see some rebuilding take place.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Well, this is the beginning of the end for Brindy. Workout monster or not, this injury at his age is really not good. A ligament injury will make it harder for him to work out during the rehab and his age is just gonna catch up to him.

Dobber Sports Genius

Rod Brind\'Amour had successful knee surgery last Friday.
    The workout freak was lifting weights by 7:30 a.m. the next day - albeit only working his upper body. However, his father may be the voice of reason as Brind\'Amour needs rest more than anything right now. \"I went up there and said, \'You idiot. What are you doing?\' He\'s so dedicated. He knows his body, but in this case he\'s got to tone it down a bit,\" Bob Brind\'Amour said. Either way, the younger Brind\'Amour will be fine for training camp in September. Feb. 22 - 11:01 a.m. ET
    Source: Raleigh News & Observer

This guy is a real beast !

See you next year \"A little bit of love\" ! B)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Lets see how the knee reacts to strenuous workouts before i say that i need to put a foot in my mouth on this one. The upper body wasnt the problem....and they can make all the bold statements they want, but really it\'s the knee dictating the show.

Dobber Sports Expert

Ligament injuries aren\'t always the end of the world. I have 1 ligament remaining in my left shoulder after being hit from behind in a hockey game when I was 17 years old. I chose not to have surgery done (ligaments never heal, they have to be surgically reattached) did basic rehab, and I was using the arm again no REAL problem a number of months later. I did have issues with tiredness and strength loss in that shoulder thought.

5 years later I decided to get into weight lifting. I could barely bench press the bar. A year into things, I was benching 200 lbs. You can really really strengthen the muscles around a ligament injury to the point where it is almost the same as it was before - and this is WITHOUT surgery. With surgery, the possibilities can be better.

My case is of course not going to be 100 percent the same - different joint, different ages, different physical demands - but thought it might be illuminating for some people. There are still lingering issues with my shoulder - certain positions are uncomfortable after a certain amount of time, and I decided to stop fighting (martial arts) in order to prevent losing the remaining ligament.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

repenttokyo wrote:
    Ligament injuries aren\'t always the end of the world. I have 1 ligament remaining in my left shoulder after being hit from behind in a hockey game when I was 17 years old. I chose not to have surgery done (ligaments never heal, they have to be surgically reattached) did basic rehab, and I was using the arm again no REAL problem a number of months later. I did have issues with tiredness and strength loss in that shoulder thought.

5 years later I decided to get into weight lifting. I could barely bench press the bar. A year into things, I was benching 200 lbs. You can really really strengthen the muscles around a ligament injury to the point where it is almost the same as it was before - and this is WITHOUT surgery. With surgery, the possibilities can be better.

My case is of course not going to be 100 percent the same - different joint, different ages, different physical demands - but thought it might be illuminating for some people. There are still lingering issues with my shoulder - certain positions are uncomfortable after a certain amount of time, and I decided to stop fighting (martial arts) in order to prevent losing the remaining ligament.
    Since i have no idea how old you are and im not a doctor i cant really comment on anything. Im just taking somewhat of an educated guess on Brindy\'s situation. I figured at his age and with the severity of the injury(or how severe it seemed.), it would not go well for him in the future. You definitely seem to have much more knowledge than i do about this type of injury so im just gonna bow out of the conversation and go with your knowledge on the subject.

Dobber Sports Expert

well, I\'m only knowledgeable because it has happened to me, I\'m far from being a doctor or an expert. I\'m 10 years younger than Brind\'amour, so I am sure that plays a factor. But his surgery should make his recovery much easier than mine was. Also, I don\'t play in the NHL, so I don\'t have to deal with incredible stress on my affected joint. That is probably going to be the biggest factor in his recovery.