Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kane- elite or merely very good?

The Great One

Default Kane- elite or merely very good?

Simple question- does Kane project to be a top 5 winger ala Heatley, Kovy, Nash?

Super Moderator

Yeah but not for another 4-5 years till he reaches that kind of level. Only 18/19.
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

Dobber Sports Pro

Yeah, he has that kind of talent but still needs to grow physically so he can take the wear and tear of the NHL season + Playoffs. 4-5 years seems about right before he really hits his stride but all signs point to him being a special talent.
    6Team/Points Only H2H Keep: 37+3goalies Start: 13F/6D/2G
    FWD = G(2), A(1), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    DEF = G(3), A(2), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    GOAL = W(3), OTL(1), SO(+2), SV(.10)

FOR: Malkin Ovechkin Kessel Stepan Gaborik Zetterberg Carter Vanek Pacioretty Duchene Skinner Lupul Hornqvist Perron Semin Okposo Byfuglien Granlund Bennett Strome Bjugstad Nichushkin Yakupov Galchenyuk Grigorenko Kuznetsov Kucherov Etem Burakovsky
    D: Letang Goligoski Kronwall Voynov JustinSchultz Hedman RyanMurphy AdamLarsson Pulock Sproul
    G: Lundqvist Lehtonen Schneider

The Great One

I have another post on this but the deadline is in an hour and Im stressin\'- lol! I have an offer for my Stastny and Ryan Whitney, with Kane and Bobby Ryan coming back. I am re-building targetting 2 seasons from now and wingers are at a premium not to mention I am stacked up the middle- would you make this trade?

Dobber Sports Expert

He reminds me of Sergej Samsonov. You have to be a guy like Theo Fleury, playing aggresiv and fearless, to make a real impact although you are small. I´m not so high on Kane, but i know i´m alone with this opinion, so never mind.

Dobber Sports Expert

don\'t discount your opinion.

Kane seems to be a good player, maybe even a great player. From the looks for things right now, Toews seems to be the catalyst for his high point potential. He did \"ok\" while Toews was out.

I would own him....On my fantasy team I mean. I don\'t have any slaves.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Master

I\'m not sold on Kane either
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Stud

I do not believe Kane is an elite talent. I think he is a very nice player, but that is all. I would personally take Turris or JVR ahead of Kane from his draft class, and I think five years from now he\'ll likely only be the 6th best skater to come out of this year\'s rookie class (behind Toews, E. Johnson, J. Johnson, Backstrom, and Mueller).

Speaking of this year\'s rookie class, it\'s turning out to be extremely deep.
    15 GM Keeper League w/Roto Scoring (G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, HITS | W, GAA, SV%, SHO)
    Start 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 2 G (23-man rosters) | Protect 10 players w/a max of 1 goalie

C - Crosby*, Malkin* (C/R), Tavares*, Giroux* (C/R)
    L - Duchene* (C/L),
    Marleau* (C/L), Galchenyuk (C/L), Ott (C/L), Lee (C/L)
    R - Kane* (C/R), St. Louis, Neil, Clutterbuck
    D - Yandle*, Carlson*, Gardiner, Gudas, Daley, Bieksa, Schenn
    G - Lundqvist*, Rinne, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Kane will form a very nice tandem with Toews for many years but i really dont see him as being an elite talent. who knows? It might be Toews who ends up reaching that elite stature while Kane is simply his very good sidekick. The key to his future offensive output is Toews in my opinon.

Dobber Sports Stud

NYR9394 wrote:
    Kane will form a very nice tandem with Toews for many years but i really dont see him as being an elite talent. who knows? It might be Toews who ends up reaching that elite stature while Kane is simply his very good sidekick.
    I don\'t think there\'s any doubt Toews will prove the far superior (yes, FAR superior) talent of the two over time. I think the problem with Kane is that people got overly excited by his quick start given that we\'ve been blessed by the talents of Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, and Phaneuf over the last three years. He is nowhere near that class of player... but, again, will probably be a very nice player. Definitely a solid top-line winger.
    15 GM Keeper League w/Roto Scoring (G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, HITS | W, GAA, SV%, SHO)
    Start 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 2 G (23-man rosters) | Protect 10 players w/a max of 1 goalie

L - Duchene* (C/L),

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

rticinelli wrote:
    I don\'t think there\'s any doubt Toews will prove the far superior (yes, FAR superior) talent of the two over time. I think the problem with Kane is that people got overly excited by his quick start given that we\'ve been blessed by the talents of Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, and Phaneuf over the last three years.

I think we just agreed that Kane will be a good to very good player, but not elite.:P

I never said that i believed the crazy buzz surrounding Kane. He\'s a good player but as we witnessed with Toews absense, he struggles without him. Kane needs the right linemates in order to perform at a high level. I dont think he hit a \"rookie wall\" like everyone here says, he just lost the player he had the most chemistry with for a while. That kind of thing should not happen to possible future elite talents.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I was also a bit worried about Kane\'s production lately. There is no doubt he needs Toews out there to be dominant... Otherwise he\'s stuck with Lang or Havlat and they don\'t pass the puck!

Kane was \"punished\" lately by coach Savard for his misperformance: icetime of 14-15-16 minutes for the last 5 games. As soon as Toews came back, Kane was back to decent icetime. He has 3 points in 3 games since Toews is back. Toews has 5 points in 3 games. Note that Toews has lately more icetime than Kane.

Anyway, I would put my money on Kane for the best career. This is my take.
    "Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable. - Conn Smythe

Keeper League Pts only / 9 G.M.
    F: Ovechkin, Kane, Backstrom, Elias, Roy, Stamkos
    D: Campbell, Chara, Souray
    G: Price, Pavelec
    Bench: Eriksson, Goligoski, , Vokoun, Hiller, Antropov

Dobber Sports Stud

NYR9394 wrote:
    rticinelli wrote:
    I don\'t think there\'s any doubt Toews will prove the far superior (yes, FAR superior) talent of the two over time. I think the problem with Kane is that people got overly excited by his quick start given that we\'ve been blessed by the talents of Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, and Phaneuf over the last three years.

I think we just agreed that Kane will be a good to very good player, but not elite.:P

I never said that i believed the crazy buzz surrounding Kane. He\'s a good player but as we witnessed with Toews absense, he struggles without him. Kane needs the right linemates in order to perform at a high level. I dont think he hit a \"rookie wall\" like everyone here says, he just lost the player he had the most chemistry with for a while. That kind of thing should not happen to possible future elite talents.
    Exactly what I said... I was agreeing with your point, and elaborating.

L - Duchene* (C/L),

Dobber Sports Stud

I am in agreement with the time it\'ll take him and the fact that he may not be tier 1 elite.

I am thinking of choosing plekanec or Mueller over Kane.

It\'s hard to say since it\'s a rookie, but he seems to be in the role of a Brad Richards type of player.
    Sneeze Girl: retired (Brett Favre'd)

9 Keeper, 7 Teams:

1 G, 1 A, 1 PPA, 1 PPG, 2 GWG, 1 SHG, +/-

3 WIN, -1 LOST, 5 SHUTOUT, -0.5 GA, 0.3 SV, -0.2 SHOT

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Everyone is saying that Kane is only good when Toews is around. YEAH RIGHT!!! Lets not forget that he started off this year amazing while Toews was hurt for the first 8 games (give or take). I dont think for a minute that he is only going to be good when toews is around. And from an earlier post Kane wasn\'t in the same draft year as toews, mueller, ej and JJ was even earlier!!!
    I can\'t say that Kane will be elite but will definetly be a good player to wn.
    Points Only, H2H, #1
    C - Stamkos, Toews, Berglund, Bailey, Colborne
    LW - Neal, Burrows, J. Jokinen, MacArthur, Fleischmann
    RW - Gaborik, Kessel, Stafford, Hornqvist, Wheeler, Doan, Tedenby
    D - Doughty, Visnovsky, Whitney, Weber, Goligoski, Letang, Larsson
    G - Thomas, Rinne, S. Mason, Bernier, Rask

Points Only H2H, #2
    C - Thornton, Spezza, Koivu, Carter, Gomez
    LW - Ovechkin, Neal, Elias, S. Kostitsyn, Ennis
    RW - Kane, Hemsky, Hossa, Perry, Doan
    D - Weber, Boyle, Gonchar, Markov, Rundblad, Elliot
    G - Luongo, Bryzgalov, Elliot, Salak, Bernier