Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Nicklas Backstrom (Washington) - Head?

Dobber Sports Guru

latest is he went to Sweden to see a concussion spe******t there ... still no timetable

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...agsR_blog.html

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    latest is he went to Sweden to see a concussion spe******t there ... still no timetable

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...agsR_blog.html
    Update, 11:23 a.m.: The Capitals have confirmed that Nicklas Backstrom is in Sweden but say that it is not to see a spe******t about his concussion.
    Setting up the play.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by thatbirdguy View Post
    Update, 11:23 a.m.: The Capitals have confirmed that Nicklas Backstrom is in Sweden but say that it is not to see a spe******t about his concussion.
    ya was just going to update that .....apparently he is visiting family acording to the team. To be honest it makes mroe sense than flying half way around the world to see a doctor.

Dobber Sports Star

What a puss. He got hit my an elbow not a truck.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ballsakic View Post
    What a puss. He got hit my an elbow not a truck.
    Backstrom is one of my favorite players in the entire world but I'm telling you, this "missing MONTHS at a time with a concussion" stuff is getting old quick. Players used to get hit like that all the time and played through it.

Granted, we know a lot more about the severity of concussions these days, but my goodness, I think the players/teams/NHL have gone to the opposite end of the spectrum in how they're handling head injuries.

I've seen NFL players get knocked silly going through the middle to the point where they can barely stand up and get off the field. 2 or 3 weeks later (max) they're back out playing. Call me a barbarian if you like but hockey players need to suck it up a little.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Backstrom is one of my favorite players in the entire world but I'm telling you, this "missing MONTHS at a time with a concussion" stuff is getting old quick. Players used to get hit like that all the time and played through it.

Granted, we know a lot more about the severity of concussions these days, but my goodness, I think the players/teams/NHL have gone to the opposite end of the spectrum in how they're handling head injuries.

I've seen NFL players get knocked silly going through the middle to the point where they can barely stand up and get off the field. 2 or 3 weeks later (max) they're back out playing. Call me a barbarian if you like but hockey players need to suck it up a little.
    that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard...

so you would rather have players come back for your entertainment, while they put their own lives in jeopardy? Idiot

And with own lives in own jeopardy I mean, the brain is the most fragile organ of a human's body, so I think it's nothing too crazy that people wanna take care of that, rather than "play through it"

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

so you would rather have players come back for your entertainment, while they put their own lives in jeopardy? Idiot

And with own lives in own jeopardy I mean, the brain is the most fragile organ of a human's body, so I think it's nothing too crazy that people wanna take care of that, rather than "play through it"
    Stop being a drama queen. Perhaps you missed the part about players doing it through the years and NFL players doing it on a weekly basis. If you weren't being such a diva you'd realize my point wasn't that players shouldn't "miss time" if they get hurt, it's that "missing MONTHS" is WAY too extreme considering the track record and what players in other sports do. I'm aware that concussions exist, I'm aware they should be treated, but IMO it's overkill at this point.

And the "for your entertainment purposes" act it old and over-dramatic. These guys are pro athletes and entertainers. Injuries are part of the job - it's why they get paid those salaries. I understand missing some time and what not but over the last couple years it seems like every "head shot" automatically = months away from the game. Where was that before? Where is it in the NFL?

If this is going to be the result every time a player gets hit in the head, let's just shut the league down. The last couple years have been RIDICULOUS with this stuff.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

It rarely happens but I agree with Dutch. fans who want players to play through concussions are choosing to remain ignorant to what the severity of head injuries can really mean. This 'suck it up talk' is just plain stupid.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Stop being a drama queen. Perhaps you missed the part about players doing it through the years and NFL players doing it on a weekly basis. If you weren't being such a diva you'd realize my point wasn't that players shouldn't "miss time" if they get hurt, it's that "missing MONTHS" is WAY too extreme considering the track record and what players in other sports do. I'm aware that concussions exist, I'm aware they should be treated, but IMO it's overkill at this point.

And the "for your entertainment purposes" act it old and over-dramatic. These guys are pro athletes and entertainers. Injuries are part of the job - it's why they get paid those salaries. I understand missing some time and what not but over the last couple years it seems like every "head shot" automatically = months away from the game. Where was that before? Where is it in the NFL?

If this is going to be the result every time a player gets hit in the head, let's just shut the league down. The last couple years have been RIDICULOUS with this stuff.
    Wow. Your whole line Of thinking is RIDICULOUS.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    Wow. Your whole line Of thinking is RIDICULOUS.
    How so?

Instead of just tossing out insults, why not step to the plate with in-depth knowledge to support your opinion (or at least some tact)? You're firing off the cuff and tossing out insults like "stupid" and "ridiculous" like you are a Dr. with decades of brain injury experience.

We can either share each of our opinions and discuss/debate them like gentlemen or we could act like children, drag it through the mud and ruin the thread. I'm choosing to discuss like men.

How would you answer these questions:

1. Why don't we see NFL players miss months due to concussions? Some football players get knocked silly and most of them engage in head-on-head collisions non-stop.

2. Why did the "miss months or close to a year" stuff start recently? Does that mean all those players who played through "getting their bell rung" are unable to live normal lives? I'm not talking about someone who has received MULTIPLE concussions here, I'm talking about a player who took one head shot and has been MIA like a sniper took him out.

3. How does the NHL cope with players missing considerable amount of time due to physical play, even if the hits were/are legal (aka Letang)?

I know concussions happen. I know they are/could be serious. But maybe, just MAYBE the NHL/players are being ultra-sensitive and cautious to the point of ridiculousness. Is it possible? I mean the NHL only exists if the players (entertainers) can take the ice and perform. I just don't know if shutting a player down for most of the year is necessary or the right thing to do. That is my point.
    Last edited by fungchen3; March 5, 2012 at 7:57 PM.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Stud

Maybe because NFL players don't move around as fast as NHL players do?

Perhaps the padding used in the NFL is not as hard as the padding used in the NHL (to deflect pucks)?

Perhaps the padding in those giant football helmets absorb alot more of the force than the smaller lighter NHL helmets?

It could be like the difference between a car crash at 40km/h and 50km/h, the difference between how often one kills the other will likely leave you alive with some broken bones is pretty staggering.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold View Post

Perhaps the padding used in the NFL is not as hard as the padding used in the NHL (to deflect pucks)?

Perhaps the padding in those giant football helmets absorb alot more of the force than the smaller lighter NHL helmets?

It could be like the difference between a car crash at 40km/h and 50km/h, the difference between how often one kills the other will likely leave you alive with some broken bones is pretty staggering.
    Black,

You could be right - I honestly don't know all the answers to those questions, but here's an exhibit to illustrate my point:

Jackson, DeSean: NFL, Philadelphia Eagles

1. Takes a massive hit in mid-field which not only injures him, but injures the player throwing the hit. [See Video]

2. Notice DeSean Jackson was running full speed before leaping in the air and taking the hit head-on by another player coming full speed.

3. DeSean Jackson was coming off one concussion, and on that (above) hit, received what was diagnosed as a "severe concussion" which included short-term memory loss. [Read Article]

4. The hit took place on Sunday, October 17th, 2010 and DeSean Jackson returned to play on Sunday, November 7th, 2010 (exactly 3 weeks later, missing 2 games). [Verification of Dates]

vs.

Backstrom, Nicklas: NHL, Washington Capitals

1. Takes a dirty hit to the jaw from Rene Bourque [See Video]

2. Notice Nicklas Backstrom was gliding at the moment of impact and not skating at high velocity.

3. To my knowledge, Nicklas Backstrom has no history of prior concussions

4. The hit took place January 3rd, 2012 and Nicklas Backstrom hasn't played since (2+ months and counting, with no return date in sight).

My opinion

This is just one example of one sport/player handing a head injury differently than another.

In the case of DeSean Jackson, we are talking about a player with a history of concussions and who was diagnosed with a "severe" concussion the day after (which included being knocked unconscious on the playing surface and suffering memory loss).

In the case of Nicklas Backstrom, we are talking about a player with NO history of concussions. Backstrom was never unconscious nor diagnosed with a "severe" concussion. It was also speculated by his coach the next day that he was "fine" and "feeling good". Next thing we know, Backstrom falls off the face of the earth.

Looking at both of these hits and reviewing the end result, how can anyone say the hit Backstrom took did more damage than the one Jackson took? Based on the diagnoses, Jackson't concussion was worse, yet Jackson missed 2 full weeks and Backstrom more than 2 months, and the juice is running.

Are we to assume that the NFL doesn't exercise proper medical integrity and/or doesn't care about the well being of their players? I find that extremely hard to believe.

Between the above example and the history of NHL players either playing through or missing a "fair" amount of time with similar injuries, I've formed the opinion that the league itself (or the player) are dragging these head injuries out far too long. I understand being "cautious" but when does it go too far? Like it or not, the NHL is an entertainment product and big business. The league needs its players to perform in order to succeed. If players are going to miss half a year or more for a head injury, why not just retire altogether?
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold View Post

This.
    NHL players hit each other at higher velocities and dont have the same substantial head protection as the nfl helmet.
    I don't know much about NFL concussions protocols but you have to wonder about some players getting their bells rung and coming back into the game too soon. The long term effects and damage even after a player retires is well documented as we are seeing with retired NHLers.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Fungchen,

My statements are not meant to diminish the severity concussions have on the individual and i think your premise is not either.

We have seen more and more players get concussions the last couple years in the NHL, or do i say diagnosed with concussions. I think the NHL is trying to take the cautious approach along with the teams. They dont want their star players out any longer than they have to be but they also want them around long term.

The Crosby and Savard situation has scared everyone to the extreme side of the spectrum.

I also think they dont really understand the long term repercussions concussions have on an individual. There are so many different studies coming out that its hard to identify a linear diagnosis. Each concussion is a little different. Different doctors even give different results and treatment methods.

Without knowing all the facts, the NHL and owners will continue to take the cautious approach, even if its to the extreme until the number of concussions starts to reduce on a regular basis.
    UFHP - Y! 12 GMs - 23/8 pro/farm - keep 17 + all farm
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, FW; GS, W, L, GA, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backstrom, Crosby, Little, Zetterberg, Rask
    LW: Foligno, Ehlers, Skinner, Hartnell, Jokinen, Ladd
    RW: Tarasenko, Kessel, Nash, Marner
    D: Keith, Karlsson, Klingberg, Werenski, Barrie, Manson
    G: Price, Murray, Andersen

Farm:
    C: Keller
    LW: Fiala, Heinen
    RW: Gurianov
    D: Sergachev, Beaulieu, Manning, Borowiecki
    G: Forsberg, Driedger

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheRook View Post
    Fungchen,

My statements are not meant to diminish the severity concussions have on the individual and i think your premise is not either.
    Rook, agreed. Neither of us are doing that. I never said Backstrom (or any NHLer) shouldn't leave the game or miss time if diagnosed with a concussion. My comments/opinion are based on the "length" of time an NHL player tends to miss THESE DAYS and in some cases there's "no timetable".

We have seen more and more players get concussions the last couple years in the NHL, or do i say diagnosed with concussions. I think the NHL is trying to take the cautious approach along with the teams. They dont want their star players out any longer than they have to be but they also want them around long term.
    Again, I agree. There is NO DOUBT in my mind the NHL is taking the "cautious approach" with these concussions. But that's putting it lightly IMO. As for the long-term thing, Crosby sat out for almost a full year before returning and then had to leave again a few weeks later. Granted, some of that could be due to the vertebrae issue.

The Crosby and Savard situation has scared everyone to the extreme side of the spectrum.
    Indeed. The thing I keep coming back to is the "extreme side" and at what point is it overkill?

I also think they dont really understand the long term repercussions concussions have on an individual. There are so many different studies coming out that its hard to identify a linear diagnosis. Each concussion is a little different. Different doctors even give different results and treatment methods.
    Another valid point. But while breakthroughs and research in brain injuries continue to evolve, it shouldn't mean the NHL shuts their players down because of the unknown. I don't think that is a realistic answer.

Without knowing all the facts, the NHL and owners will continue to take the cautious approach, even if its to the extreme until the number of concussions starts to reduce on a regular basis.
    When does it end though? If the NHL is forming the habit of shutting down players (and stars) for long periods of time, how is that good for the league and acceptable value for the fans? There needs to be a balance between players safety and product value and one shouldn't be more extreme than the other. I understand be cautious, but if the NHL is going to be THAT cautious, why not just wrap all the players in bubble wrap and/or remove contact altogether?

I don't see the number of diagnosed concussions decreasing anytime soon - if anything I see them continuing to increase. I think the NHL has come under scrutiny for some unfortunate events that that happened over the summer. I also think the NHL is very sensitive to the mainstream media's public lynching over fighting in the game. These situations combined may have caused the league to "overcompensate" in attempts to publicly endorse the safety of their players. And in my opinion, I don't think that's the right thing to do.

Rook, finally, I want you to know how refreshing it is to be able to discuss a "passionate" topic in a classy manner. Reflects well on you. Thank you.
    8-GM / WK-H2H