Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Nicklas Backstrom (Washington) - Head?

Dobber Sports Guru

a glimmer of hope perhaps ??

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...pitals-insider

Posted at 12:24 PM ET, 02/11/2012
    Nicklas Backstrom: Im not 100 percent to skate
    By Katie Carrera
    In his first English interview since Jan. 6, Capitals center Nicklas Backstrom told reporters that he believes he is making progress in his recovery from a concussion but that he doesnt know when he will be able to play again.

Im not 100 percent to skate right now, Backstrom said Saturday at Kettler Capitals Iceplex. Well see when its going to be time for me to hit the ice. Right now, Im taking it day-by-day to see how I feel.

Backstrom said hes been riding the stationary bike but reiterated the slow-moving nature of this recovery process.

NHL protocols mandate that in order to return to play, he must be symptom free at rest, symptom free with exertion levels required for game-play and then reach his baseline level on a neuropsychological test before he is back in a game. Players undergo neuropsychological testing prior to the start of each season to establish a baseline.

Lately Ive been doing the bike, Backstrom said. So I think Im improving, but the thing is, it takes time. But Im on a good program now, hopefully I get better soon.

Backstrom, 24, said hes trying to be around the team every day now, which wasnt always the case in the earliest stages in his recovery. In addition to his daily evaluations with head athletic trainer Greg Smith, over the past week Backstrom has attended games, hosted a Super Bowl party and has been interacting with his teammates. Backstrom is also traveling up to New York with the team today as part of the Capitals dads and mentors trip. His father Anders is in town for the event.

Its been 39 days since Backstrom absorbed the elbow to his head from then-Calgary forward Rene Bourque that caused the concussion. Since then, Backstrom has missed 16 games and has only skated for five minutes in the past 36 days.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Hahahah, hosting superbowl parties.
    11 team keeper league, 3rd season.
    Points only. Goalies: 2pts Win, 3pt S/O
    9F, 6D, 2G, 2BN, 1IR

F: Stamkos*, Parise*, Backstom*(IR), Benn*, Neal*, Clarkson, Berglund, A. McDonald, Gagner, Ennis, Okposo,

D: OEL, B Campbell, Wisniewski, B. Smith, Giordano, Diaz

G: Fleury*, Halak*, Anderson

Dobber Sports Guru

no significant updates ..... this from twitter:

Katie Carrera @kcarrera
    GMGM had no real update on Backstrom, who is still riding stationary bike. #Caps still waiting for him to feel well enough to skate.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Has anyone on here every had a concussion. I just don't understand how he can be "not well enough" to skate. What does that even mean? Especially with his history of headaches and migraines, what the hell?
    Yahoo! Keeper League (5 keepers)
    G, A, Pts, +/-, PIM, FW, shots, hits, blocks, W, sv%, GAA, SO

C: Seguin, Toews, Krejci, Bjugstad, Nelson
    RW: Tarasenko, Hayes, Vrbata, Jagr
    LW: E. Kane, JVR, Soderberg, Killorn
    D: OEL, Yandle, Green, Campbell
    G: Halak, Anderson, Hiller

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by dmfitzpatrick29 View Post
    Has anyone on here every had a concussion. I just don't understand how he can be "not well enough" to skate. What does that even mean? Especially with his history of headaches and migraines, what the hell?
    The feeling is that some stuff really triggers your head and some doesn't. I'm not sure how he can handle the stationary bike but not be able to skate as both are pretty intense activities. I guess at least on the bike you're sitting down but when I was injured I couldn't do either because I was just have this weird dizzy pain in my head.
    Follow me for some fantasy hockey, Jays tweets @thelandshock

Dobber Sports Ace

My concussions I'd have a few weeks of steady headaches, occasional dizzyness, and not feeling "on". Never stopped me from staying active / playing. My personal unmedical view is that being active helps, not hurts, recovery, and these guys are told to relax until symptons are gone.
    Weekly H2H
    G / A / P / +- / PowerPlayPoints / Shots / Goalie Wins / GAA / Save%

Dobber Sports Wizard

The migraine thing really concerns me.

The concussion thing is usually precautionary due to symptoms. You can play with a concusion. Guys have proven than. Roenick played a round and a half of playoffs with one and was effective. I think it's long term damage that worries them and also now that we know what we know I wonder if agents and owners have any liability fears.
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5
    Auction draft with a budget of $600. Whatever is left becomes your acquisition budget for the season. At the end of the season 50% of your budget is carried over to the next year.
    Keeper players are taxed +$10 for forwards with over 75 pts. +$5 for forwards under 74pts. +$0 for forwards under 50pts.
    D = +$10 for 65pts +$5 for under 64pts +$0 under 40
    G = +$10 for 32W +$5 for under 31W & +$0 under 15W

(G) (A) 25, (+/-) 5, (PIM) 3, (PPG) 7.5, (PPA) 5, (SHG) 10, (SHA) 7.5
    (SOG) 1 (W) 50, (L) -20, (GA) -5, (SV) 2, (SHO) 50

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by duducks View Post
    My concussions I'd have a few weeks of steady headaches, occasional dizzyness, and not feeling "on". Never stopped me from staying active / playing. My personal unmedical view is that being active helps, not hurts, recovery, and these guys are told to relax until symptons are gone.
    Can we agree that your personal unmedical view seems to be the complete opposite of what anyone with a "medical view" seems to say?

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by duducks View Post
    Being active does help, they aren't told to "relax". But being active and playing in an NHL hockey game are on two diff levels.

Similar to how Backstrom is hitting the stationary bike...that is endurance, maintenance type activity which is good for all-around health. But it's not high intensity at all.

At high intensity levels, the headaches get 1000 x worse.

Also, dizziness and Headches affect your reflex and quick judgement, that's why it's so easy to get smoked by another hit if you're not 100% alert.

Before playesr are allowed to play they have to show no concussion symptoms at HIGH EXERTION LEVELS.

Any news on this? I'm getting an itchy trigger finger in one league. He's sort of important.
    14 team, $50M cap
    Stats Counted: G(1), A(1), +/-(.25), GWG(1), SHG(1), Major PIM(2), W(2), SO(5), SOG(.25)
    ($-Yrs), x = option
    F: Matthews (0.5x4x) Laine (0.5x4x) Forsberg (6.7x2) Granlund (2Mx1), Kuznetsov (5.1x1), Stone (4.25x2), Couture (3.1x1x),
    E. Staal (2.2x1), Duchene (3.5x3), Neal (2x1), Marchessault (1.0x3), Gallagher (0.65x3)

D: Burns (4.3x1x), Pietrangelo (4.7x1x), Jones (0.5x2x), Yandle (2.2x2), Schmidt (0.5x1x), Severson (1.2x2)

G: Vasilevsky (0.5x2x), Schneider (0.8x1), Jarry (0.5x1)

Farm (yrs)-

Dobber Sports Ace

Nothing I have been readind some article from Washington journal and I found nothing. I am leading by 8pts whit Backstrom on my bench I am trying to trade him but it's tough...
    10teams H2H keep 12 dress 3C,3LW,3RW,6D,2G,2uti+4bench
    G,A,PIM,PPP,SOG,HIT,BS,W,L,GAA,SV%
    C:GETZ,Pavelski,Rakell,Brassard
    RW:P.Kane,Tarasenko,Wheeler,Silfverberg,Brown
    LW:Paciorety,Mantha,Panik,Namestnikov
    D:OEL,Burns,Josi,BUFF,E.Johnson,Sergachev,Mcavoy
    G:Holtby,Dubnyk,Budaj

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

This is the best update I could find.

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-ca...ngton-capitals
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Just like Crosby: you'll hear about it when he starts practicing with the team. Until then, asking is a waste of time.

Dobber Sports Star

Default Might as well cut him in 1 year

just a cap play said he should play in playoffs
    Yahoo keeper (10) 10 TEAMS Standard Scoring
    G(5) A(3) Pims(.25) Shots(.1) Blocks(.1) GWG(3) SHG(3) PPG(1) +-(1) W(10) L(-5) GA(-1) Saves(.2) SO(10)
    3 C 3 RW 3 LW 6 D 2 G 5 Bench 2 IR 1 IR+

C: Thornton Datsyuk (LW) Eakin Nylander (RW)
    LW: Gaudraue Pacioretty Galchenyuk (LW) Burakovsky
    RW: Stone Williams Kucherov Jagr
    D: Subban Muzzin E. Ekman-Larsson Vatanen Paryako J. Schultz
    G: Elliot Luongo F.Anderson C.Johnson
    IR: Schneider Seguin (C)