Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Edmonton Oilers

I\'m too lazy to look for the full article, but there was a quote from the Edmonton Sun indicating that GM Kevin Lowe said his team was \"open for business\" when asked about trade speculation.

My question is, other than Ales Hemsky, Petr Sykora, Shawn Horcoff and (maybe) Joffrey Lupul, are there any decent fantasy assets that Lowe might dangle? Seriously, without knowing too much about what sort of prospects they have, the Oilers look pretty gutted right now.

On the bright side, they have the 6th, 15th, 30th and 36th picks at the draft. Although the 6th could get a decent guy, I kinda figure that Lowe is going to unload a couple of the other picks to get some current help and hopefully save what roster players he has left. Thoughts?
    Full Keeper Team, straight points, no PIMs:
    C Under construction
    LW Under construction
    RW Under construction
    D Under construction
    G Under construction
    Farm Under construction

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re:Edmonton Oilers

Torres is always talked about. He could be moved, Jason Smith was rumoured during deadline time although I doubt that will happen. Otherwise it would be the draft picks and young guys like Schremp, Pouliot, Winchester, Lupul. They may even shop around a guy like Cogliano.

My guess is if it doesn\'t happen with the picks, a big name trade is unlikely.

BTW...the Edmonton Journal quoted either Lowe or Prendergast(player develpment) as saying they tried to deal with Nashville but weren\'t looking at the package deal the Flyers took, probably just Timonen and they wouldn\'t have paid him that high.
    GWNHL Fantasy Cup Champs 06-07

I...am your father.

They have three first rounders this year, one of them will be traded at least.

Also - Sykora is a UFA, so he\'s not an asset.

I\'m not sure who else the Oil would trade...
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ninja

Stoll is a very valuable player for the Oilers, but I\'m not sure how valuable other teams see him as so it\'s tough to say if they would get decent return for him.

The Oilers are in a position where they need to move 1 or 2 young defencemen because there simply isn\'t enough room for them on the team. They need to up the vet -> youngin ratio a bit this year to have any hope of bringing along the young guys.

Gilbert, Smid, Grebeshkov, and Greene are all looking for roster spots this year.

Petry was a USHL player of the year this year and has some potential down the road as well.

Look for a couple of these guys to be moved, maybe along with a guy like Schremp to try and land a bigger name player, probably a vet on the backend, along with maybe a guy like Tarnstrom.

Lupul would not be a very good candidate for the Oilers as they would be selling him when his value is the very lowest right now.

Hemsky is not going anywhere unless some sort of superstar is coming back the other way, and that is highly unlikely.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The qoute was off TSN in thier Artical about the draft day... It was Kevin Low that said it...

But you guys are mis-interpreting what he ment... he ment they are open to hear offers on there Draft positions... not on players on thier team... Oilers have probebly the deepest pool of prospect talent right now... and this years draft sucks... Low wants to add a couple players to the roster to make up for the Smyth, Bergeron ect losses because Edmonton is really not that far away at the moment... They wanna give thier guys taht extra year or 2 before they hit the bigs Like a Nilsson, Schremp, Cogliano, Syvert, Dubnyk, O\'Marra, Stortini, Young, Bisaillion, Petry, Reddox, Sestito & Spurgeon... You don\'t trade prospects at the start of the year... They are deadline bait if your in the playoff hunt... You trade Draft Choices if you already have prospects which Edmonton most cirtantly does...

Right now edmonton has 8 forward regulars signed (Torres RFA) + Pouliot, Jacques, Stortini, Nilsson, Schremp and O\'Marra with Mikhnov, Brodziak & Winchester RFAs (I see Pouliot & Jacques getting a spot outta camp from those, maybe Stortini or Nilsson, not both and maybe 1 of Brodziak or Winchester the other going to help the AHLers...)

On D only 3 are signed, Greene/Roy/Grebeshkov RFAs... (Gilbert, Syvret, Young, Basaillion are your prospects... Maybe Gilbert jumps in... but Syvret has looked ready from what I\'ve seen LIVE)

In net you should see (probebly wont cause this is too sane)... Rolo and Deslauries...

so Edmonton has 8+Torres on forward with 2 jumping in + 2 more (if not pushed out so 13 forwards... so look for 1 or 2 brought in Via Trade or FA... 3 D + 1-2 prospects... so they are looking for 2-3 Via trade or FA... and in net... well I\'d be content... but wouldnt surprise me if they go for a backup...

Just FYI on Edmonton Goalie Depth chart:

Roloson
    Deslauries
    Dubnyk (is ahead of Deslauries talent wise but must develop so is 3rd)
    Bjurling (could Jump up if brought over)
    Fisher (to push Deslauries in camp and eat up non-Dubnyk games in AHL)
    Pitton (2nd best prospect here but 2 years behind Dubnyk, still in JR)
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Ninja

There is no doubt that Kevin Lowe is very open to moving young players as well.

Either

A) Lowe does nothing, gets himself fired and the rebuild begins again for the Oilers. Sounds familiar.

B) Lowe trades away young players with or without picks and tries to get this team into the playoffs. But they are not anywhere close to being a contending team. They need 2 defensemen, 1 of them higher end. They need a goal scorer on the first line and they could use another winger on the second line as well. This will take a LOT of resources to get.

Syvret won\'t be playing for the team next year unless a couple other defencemen get moved. A bunch of the other guys you mentioned won\'t get a sniff at the lineup this year either. JDD won\'t be the backup this year I don\'t think, Jussi might but I am looking for someone else to be brought in perhaps.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Syvret looks solid so when ever he gets that chance he should stick... Ive been Very Impressed with him in Grand Rapids last year and Hamilton the year before... I\'ve seen him play about 18 games in 2 years and the growth is really there... he wont be a PTS man like Edmonton wants/needs but when Smith goes... Syvert will eat quality big minutes...

LoL, JDD has had 2 REALLY strong AHL years back to back... But than again Flarety has had like 6, Labarbera 5, Cassivi 3 ect ect ect... but for some reason it doesnt make sence to let these gusy make the jump... altho LaBarbera gets that chance this year and I believe Jeff should get that chance this year!

and as far as im concerned Edm should resign Jussi but someone on here a month or so back said that it wouldn\'t happen, so by that token I assume him gone...

My 2 Favortie UFA goalies are Jussi and Mathieu Garon... Impact goalies waiting for a place to give them a chance and supporting cast...

and yea I was throwing alotta names to make the point Edmonton has alotta kids not too far away, I pointed out the ones that I can see making/returning to the lineup...
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Prodigy

When Syvret got the call up late in the season with injuries he looked small and was pushed around. Granted he was in a tough spot because all the injuries left him playing top 4 minutes and playing against the other team\'s top players, but he would have to have an outstanding camp to jump past Gilbert, Smid, Grebeshkov or Greene. Don\'t forget they Chorney and Basillon too. A couple of those guys could be moved with a draft pick for a decent d-man or second line winger.

The goalie question comes down to whether they was Deslauriers to play a lot (i.e. minors) or sit and get the feel of the NHL game/practices. I think the latter. He\'s showed he\'s a top AHL tender, so give him a year to get accustomed to the league/travel/intensity. Play him 20-30 games and he\'ll be ready to take the reins soon.

To get back to original post, Lowe had said a few weeks ago that no player was untouchable, but he said it would have to be pretty good returns for giving up players on their roster.

I get the feeling Lowe wants to do a splash like two years ago with Pronger. That took 2 defence prospects (woywitka, lynch) and one top d from the roster (brewer). They\'ve got the bodies again so something like that wouldn\'t surprise me, but what\'s out there to be had, certainly no one of Pronger\'s level.

Good luck, Mr. Lowe.
    GWNHL Fantasy Cup Champs 06-07

Dobber wrote:
    Sykora is a UFA, so he\'s not an asset.
    That\'s my bad for posting when I\'m tired.

Jason_Banks wrote:
    he ment they are open to hear offers on there Draft positions... not on players on thier team... Oilers have probebly the deepest pool of prospect talent right now... and this years draft sucks... Low wants to add a couple players to the roster to make up for the Smyth, Bergeron ect losses because Edmonton is really not that far away at the moment...
    This is precisely why I asked the question in the first place (although I think to say that Edm is not that far away is an exaggeration). If this year\'s draft ain\'t great, how much value can Lowe really expect to get for his picks? He\'s going to have to throw in something, but his roster is already a bit ragged as it is, so he probably won\'t trade away a significant roster player. He\'ll have to package up something with the pick to make it more attractive, so it either has to be a role player or one of the kids.

I agree with the earlier comment that it\'s certainly possible that if Lowe does nothing and can\'t put a somewhat competitive team on the ice this season, he gets canned. Ownership won\'t want to wait a couple years while they lose $$.

Remember my words...if Lowe wants to keep his job, look for a Pronger-like deal that involves picks AND prospects, not significant roster players.
    Full Keeper Team, straight points, no PIMs:
    C Under construction
    LW Under construction
    RW Under construction
    D Under construction
    G Under construction
    Farm Under construction

Dobber Sports Ninja

Fully agree with you Chadosaur. Good Post

I can see Torres and one of those firsts for Pitkanen...