Thread: 12/29/11 - Studs & Duds

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default 12/29/11 - Studs & Duds

Hope those of you that have it are enjoying your time off. Tyler is going to be busy tomorrow so I'm going to sub for him tomorrow as well. Double dose of b0ndon! *gulp*. Here are your Studs and Duds for today.

Studs

3) Steve Mason - No I'm not drunk. Steve Mason actually put together a whale of a game against the Stars, spoiling Kari Lehtonen's return to the lineup. Mason stopped 36 of 37, the first time all season he has managed to have two solid starts in a row.

2) Sleeping Beauty - Eric Staal knocked off his third three-point game (2G 1A) of the season against the Leafs on Thursday, busting out of his six game point slump. The Hurricanes desperately need someone to step up and it should be the captain.

1) The Sedin Triplets - Two assists for Burrows, one goal and two helpers for Henrik, and two goals for Daniel. Tonight the Ducks got treated to the Sedin show. While we have generally come to expect this type of thing from the Sedins, Burrows has picked up his scoring pace significantly after a slow start. He now has six goals and seven assists in 14 GP this month.

Honourable Mentions

Lick my balls Zidlicky - I personally had this guy pegged as a guaranteed 45 points before the season started, and he responded with a dismal six points in his first 26GP. Tonight was Zidlicky's coming out party though as he registered three assists and was a plus-three in the Wild's 4-3 win over the Oilers.

Battle of the Backups - Spectacular goalie showdown in Winnipeg that saw Jonathan Bernier square off against Chris Mason. Both goalies took shutouts into overtime but Mason was one save better than Bernier. Mason made 31 saves for the shutout and Bernier stopped 26 of 27.

Sweet Homecoming - Jaromir Jagr responded to the pressure of returning to Pittsburgh by potting a goal in tonight's contest. Many would have liked to see it hold as the game-winner, but Tyler Kennedy would spoil that in the third period. Perhaps a lower-key return, but Max Talbot also played his first game in Pittsburgh as a part of the opposition, and he also picked up a goal (empty net).

Duds

3) Captain Coyote - Another game, another minus-two for Shane Doan. Doan came out of the gates flying but his scoring pace has dropped significantly since the start of November. Doan now has the worst +/- among forwards in Phoenix at minus-10. However, I don't think there is a major reason to panic just yet as he had a very strong second half last season.

2) Walls Fall Down - Khabibulin had a rough night for the Oilers as he allowed four goals on 19 shots, eventually getting the hook. Khabi has been a little shaky so far this month as he's allowed three or more goals in five of his seven starts.

1) Toronto Effing Maple Leafs - How on earth do you blow a 3-1 lead in the third period against the HURRICANES? Ugh, 'nuff said.

Dishonourable Mentions

Matt Niskanen - Niskanen was a team-worst minus-three tonight, on the ice for all of the Flyers' even strength goals. Looks like the honeymoon is over, he has now gone pointless in his last three games.

Cam Fowler - The Cam Fowler watch has dropped to minus-18 (team worst minus-three tonight against the Canucks). Probably should mention that he didn't register a point but I figured that was a given.

The LA Kings - Just a small trend that I noticed, but in four starts this month for the Kings, Bernier has received a grand total of four goals scored by his team. While one of those starts was the laugher against the Red Wings, his other three starts have been deserving of a better fate, as he posted a save percentage of .926% or higher in all three. Give the kid some goal-support, he shouldn't still be winless this month with those numbers!

Roto Monsters

Mikko Koivu - (1G 1A +2 4PIM 2SOG 2Hits 12FOW)
    Steve Downie - (2A +1 2PIM 4SOG 2Blks 2Hits 1FOW)
    Evander Kane - (1G +1 4PIM 5SOG 4Blks 7Hits 1FOW - STUD)
    Semyon Varlamov - (25SVS, 2GA, .926%)
    Evgeni Nabokov - (29 SVS, 1GA, .967%)
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

What really sucks for Doan is he only had 8 hits.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    What really sucks for Doan is he only had 8 hits.
    Aye, especially if your league settings don't count hits.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    Aye, especially if your league settings don't count hits.
    We count them, but I am disappointed at 8 - what a scrub - tied for 10th in hits in the league.

BTW - I am happier about trading Eriksson for Burrows these days. Kinda forced to do it last year when Eriksson lost LW eligibility and then he got it back this year - so I was grouchy about that - but things are working out okay.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Yea yea Kane. That's the way you do it.

Dobber Sports Star

Fowler is becoming drop able.

Stud: TK for duping b0ndon into covered S&D
    Dud: b0ndon - self explanatory.

Administrator

How do the Leafs blow a third period lead? Eric Staal, that's how. He can suck all year long if he wants to, I still remember how good he is.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    How do the Leafs blow a third period lead? Eric Staal, that's how. He can suck all year long if he wants to, I still remember how good he is.
    It sucks, all the leagues I do own him in are one-years where's he slaying me. In a keeper I'd be willing to put up with it...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    It sucks, all the leagues I do own him in are one-years where's he slaying me. In a keeper I'd be willing to put up with it...
    Keeper, one-year, I love him all the same. He's going to drop some killer games in the last month of the season like he always does and that makes him a freaking mercenary in H2H playoffs. I'm holding on tight so I have him when he goes Boba Fett on everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Keeper, one-year, I love him all the same. He's going to drop some killer games in the last month of the season like he always does and that makes him a freaking mercenary in H2H playoffs. I'm holding on tight so I have him when he goes Boba Fett on everyone.
    Yea, won't help me.

One H2H league I own him my goalies have shit the bed and so has every other player. Dead last, won't even make playoffs.

Other team is Roto so his end of the year rampage isn't quite as effective. Meanwhile he's singlehandedly butchered my +/- for the year.

Administrator

Yea, won't help me.

One H2H league I own him my goalies have shit the bed and so has every other player. Dead last, won't even make playoffs.

Other team is Roto so his end of the year rampage isn't quite as effective. Meanwhile he's singlehandedly butchered my +/- for the year.
    That's what you get for playing roto.

Dobber Sports Master

Stud: TK for duping b0ndon into covered S&D
    Dud: b0ndon - self explanatory.
    Currently at an airport heading to Edmonton for the WJC Canada-USA. That's an excuse not to cover haha.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Trade him, Dyz - you will still get good value for him and the relief from whining about him will be wonderful.