Thread: E. Kane vs B. Ryan

Dobber Sports Stud

Default E. Kane vs B. Ryan

*Note this has nothing to do with fantasy purposes, but specifically real life values.

I'm in arguments with a member in HFBoards that Bobby Ryan has more value than Evander Kane due to his 3 30+ goal seasons, amazing contract until 2015, his 70 point season playing primarily PP2, and the fact that he's not done growing as a hockey players because he's only 24. His primary argument is that E. Kane is only 20 and putting up good numbers. Am I completely out to lunch to think that Ryan has significantly more value than Evander Kane were they to be traded for each other at this point in time?
    The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau

Dobber Sports Rookie

Ryan > E. Kane

Dobber Sports Grand Master

It's hard to compare two players with lots of potential when one's younger than the other. But if you had to pick between the two right now, it would be hard to not go with Bobby Ryan.

Once Kane has a few more years under his belt we'll see.

Dobber Sports Padawan

both are good young power forwards, but at this point in time, you have to go with Ryan. Kane was probably forced into the league too early, while Bobby was given plenty of time to develop his game

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrulez69 View Post
    both are good young power forwards, but at this point in time, you have to go with Ryan. Kane was probably forced into the league too early, while Bobby was given plenty of time to develop his game
    Also can't hurt that Ryan has played with Getzlaf and Perry pretty much since day 1. Who's Kane played with? Antropov? Umm....Blake Wheeler?

Really it's splitting hairs here....both players have 40+ goal upside, and both are already multi-cat studs. Honestly, I think I like Evander Kane here a bit more especially if we're talking about "real hockey" and not fantasy, but it's not like Ryan is a bum.

It's hard to call they're very similar players. I like that Kane has a little more edge to his physicality, while Ryan will throw a hit and bang in the corner but opposing players don't really need to be aware of where he is on the ice.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Evander Kane is on pace for 41 goals this season, that's with a fairly sustainable 13.1 shooting percentage. That's without the likes of Getzlaf and Perry in his line. Also Evander Kane is one of those players you just dont want to mess with. Just ask Matt Cooke.

As a real life GM, I'd take Kane any day of the week. As a fantasy GM I'd propably try to trade Ryan for Kane+ because of Ryan's higher perceived value.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Rrabbit View Post
    Evander Kane is on pace for 41 goals this season, that's with a fairly sustainable 13.1 shooting percentage. That's without the likes of Getzlaf and Perry in his line. Also Evander Kane is one of those players you just dont want to mess with. Just ask Matt Cooke.

As a real life GM, I'd take Kane any day of the week. As a fantasy GM I'd propably try to trade Ryan for Kane+ because of Ryan's higher perceived value.
    Nicely said

Dobber Sports Stud

HFBoards is a joke, I'm sure those homers are still over valuing their favorite teams players.

I would never, ever trade Kane for Ryan, ever. But that doesn't mean Kane is better now or will be in the future, it's just my take. I could care less about "now", or who's better now. This is only Kane's third season and he's only 20. Kane is developing into a superstar all around player. So what's the argument? Ryan has more value now but that doesn't mean I would, or others would do a straight up trade giving away Kane. Kane could have a ton more value in a couple of years.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; December 30, 2011 at 4:39 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
    Kane could have a ton more value in a couple of years.
    thats the key word "could" but not there yet.
    http://www.dobberhockey.com/picture.php?albumid=65&pictureid=474

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by subcrazy View Post
    thats the key word "could" but not there yet.
    Of course he isn't there yet. He's 20 years old lol.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
    Of course he isn't there yet. He's 20 years old lol.
    exactly so therefor ryan is better at this moment in time. heck could even change by the end of the year.
    http://www.dobberhockey.com/picture.php?albumid=65&pictureid=474

Dobber Sports Icon

I think weve seen enough from Kane so far this year to remove the 'could' tag.