Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Yakupov - the next Filatov/Radulov or not?

Banned

Default Yakupov - the next Filatov/Radulov or not?

Here we go again, another extremely highly touted Russian projected to be drafted top 3 easily and likely 1st overall. Is he going to be the next Kovalchuk or Ovechkin or is he going to suffer from LRS and wind up in the KHL like Rads and Filatov? Discuss.

The Great One

He is already better than Radulov and Filatov ever dreamed of being. He will play in the NHL for sure.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Administrator

Good question. The answer may well depend on if he goes to an actual hockey market with a coach that doesn't literally suck the life force right out of him.

Of course I kid but I'm skeptical about Yakupov and for completely irrational reasons. I just don't think he has the name power to be as good as he's been hyped up to be.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Sage

All I know is from seeing this kid play he has all the tools to be a perennial All-Star in the NHL. That being said if Columbus picks him he's fu****
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

The Great One

good points have been made...Columbus and Nashville are horrible teams to be drafted by if you are a dynamic offensive player. That said, Nashville has no chance of drafting him and if Columbus drafts another Russian, the fans are likely to riot.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    He is already better than Radulov and Filatov ever dreamed of being. He will play in the NHL for sure.
    how quickly you forget the hype machine, including the hype on this very site for both of those players. To clarify, I don't think he's going to bust anymore than I think he's going to excel, I'm simply seeking arguments one way or the other. What makes you think he's that much better than those two and more suited to the NHL?

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    how quickly you forget the hype machine, including the hype on this very site for both of those players. To clarify, I don't think he's going to bust anymore than I think he's going to excel, I'm simply seeking arguments one way or the other. What makes you think he's that much better than those two and more suited to the NHL?
    I never watched a lot of Filatov when he wasn't in the NHL, so I can't comment on the way he played before he was drafted, but he was never touted as a potential first overall pick, and same goes for Radulov.

I have watched a lot of Yakupov and he is one of the best players I've ever watched, and I'm not alone in that assessment.

Yakupov is an extremely special talent.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think the same question can be asked of Grigorenko.

I think one thing that seems to be more appeasing is the fact that they both currently play in NA prior to the draft year. Both Radulov and Filatov didnt come over until after they were drafted.
    UFHP - Y! 12 GMs - 23/8 pro/farm - keep 17 + all farm
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, FW; GS, W, L, GA, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backstrom, Crosby, Little, Zetterberg, Rask
    LW: Foligno, Ehlers, Skinner, Hartnell, Jokinen, Ladd
    RW: Tarasenko, Kessel, Nash, Marner
    D: Keith, Karlsson, Klingberg, Werenski, Barrie, Manson
    G: Price, Murray, Andersen

Farm:
    C: Keller
    LW: Fiala, Heinen
    RW: Gurianov
    D: Sergachev, Beaulieu, Manning, Borowiecki
    G: Forsberg, Driedger

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by TheRook View Post
    I think the same question can be asked of Grigorenko.

I think one thing that seems to be more appeasing is the fact that they both currently play in NA prior to the draft year. Both Radulov and Filatov didnt come over until after they were drafted.
    I agree with this. I watched Filatov play a lot for 2 years before he was drafted. He looked just as dominate to me as anyone in his draft year. If he had played in the CHL I personally think he would have gone 1st overall without a doubt.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I never watched a lot of Filatov when he wasn't in the NHL, so I can't comment on the way he played before he was drafted, but he was never touted as a potential first overall pick, and same goes for Radulov.

I have watched a lot of Yakupov and he is one of the best players I've ever watched, and I'm not alone in that assessment.

Yakupov is an extremely special talent.
    Here's the problem...all you're giving me as support for your argument is 'I think he's really good'. While I agree with that assessment wholeheartedly, my core point is that that's exactly what was said about Rads and Filatov so what specifically about Yakupov makes him different? Why is he a better fit to the NHL? What about his game or attitude is going to help him avoid the pitfalls of other Russians? What if he is drafted by Columbus, what's to keep him from being poorly developed the way Filatov was?

As far as the drafts go, you have to keep some of this in perspective a bit...the year Rads was taken was the same year we had two of the best Russians in the league taken (Ovie and Malkin) so its easy to get overshadowed by guys like that...and the year Filatov was drafted he had Stamkos, Doughty, Bogo, Pietrangelo and Schenn taken ahead of him, not exactly poor company to be in. The 2012 draft is not shaping up to be an especially strong draft class so I think this is an important question to ask

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Here's the problem...all you're giving me as support for your argument is 'I think he's really good'. While I agree with that assessment wholeheartedly, my core point is that that's exactly what was said about Rads and Filatov so what specifically about Yakupov makes him different? Why is he a better fit to the NHL? What about his game or attitude is going to help him avoid the pitfalls of other Russians? What if he is drafted by Columbus, what's to keep him from being poorly developed the way Filatov was?
    I could say that Yakupov doesn't seem to be a little whiney bitch like Radulov and Filatov and that he says all the right things in his interviews, but that really means nothing (even if it is true). Especially now, Russian players are told exactly what to say to help their draft ranking. Even if they fully intend on playing in the KHL, they will never say anything to mess their chances of being a high NHL draft pick. That only strengthens their leverage when negotiating a KHL contract.

But the main reason why I think Yakupov will play in the NHL is because he is very, very good. I know I said that before and you didn't like that answer, but that is really the best way to assess the situation, imo. What I mean is Yakupov won't F**K up his chance to play in the NHL like Radulov and Filatov did. I know neither of them played a lot in the NHL, but Yakupov will simply destroy the competition and bring fans out of their seats. He will score over 75 pts in his rookie season and threaten 40 goals, regardless of what team drafts him. He will do what Radulov and Filatov could never do, which is 'earn' playing time and respect from his coach. Filatov and Radulov wanted recognition and to be treated like superstars even before they deserved it. Yakupov will be a superstar from the first time he steps on the ice and he will be treated that way, so he won't want to leave for Russia.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda;870715[B
    ]I agree with this. I watched Filatov play a lot for 2 years before he was drafted.[/B] He looked just as dominate to me as anyone in his draft year. If he had played in the CHL I personally think he would have gone 1st overall without a doubt.
    Oh yeah? Where?

Banned

and to answer the first question, yes I do believe a lot of teams will be weary of the Russian factor with both Yakupov and Grigorenko. If a team feels a guy like Filip Forsberg is almost as good as the two, it might sway their pick towards him, or the top d-men in the draft.

a guy like Yakupov might not have gone to the CHL had he been thought of as a 1st overall pick, dynamic player. Nobody in Russia or the CHL saw this player coming.

Dobber Sports Stud

@McGoo because you seemed to of heard what you wanted to hear 2 points were stated that were different from "I think he looks good"

1) He currently plays in NA instead of waiting to be drafted first and then coming over. Already a sign that he will better adapt to playing in the NHL than filatov/radulov

2) He's being touted as the #1 overall hands down by NHL scouts (or at least 2nd overall in a Tyler/Taylor scenario) while neither Filatov (Stamkos/Doughty were undoubtedly going before him) or Radulov (Ovechkin/Malkin were undoubtedly going before him) were that high of prospects.
    The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    a guy like Yakupov might not have gone to the CHL had he been thought of as a 1st overall pick, dynamic player. Nobody in Russia or the CHL saw this player coming.
    I wouldn't go that far...Yakupov was a well-known prospect before he came to the CHL. I drafted him in one of my leagues two years before he joined Sarnia. Mind you, I had never seen him play before he came to Sarnia, but his name was definitely out there along with Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Frk, and Murray as contenders for first overall a good three years before his draft.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap