Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Yakupov - the next Filatov/Radulov or not?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Good analysis McGoo. You points 1 and 2 are very accurate and I've touched on those specifically in the past.

As for your expectations entering the tournament for Yakupov. If you expected him to be dominant on the scoresheet then you've made a huge mistake (not speaking just at you mcgoo either). Russia has so much offensive depth that he's performing exactly how I'd expect him too. He should end the tournament with around 7-8 points and he's on pace for that. Russia plays the Gusev, Kucherov and Kuznetsov line a ton and Yakupov mainly earns what is leftover on the second PP.

As for the "shooting too much" and "passing" comment. So far, Yakupov hasn't displayed his passing ability while on the rush but he's more than capable of flying in at top speed and dishing off passes that he has no business being able to make. I've seen him make these types of passes more often this year (without Galchenyuk) and it's becoming my favourite part of his game. He definitely excels when he sets up in the offensive zone but he can certainly pass while at top speed as well (just hasn't done it yet in the tournament).

Good breakdown of his skills McGoo and your observations certainly complement what I have been saying so that's always good.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Good analysis McGoo. You points 1 and 2 are very accurate and I've touched on those specifically in the past.

As for your expectations entering the tournament for Yakupov. If you expected him to be dominant on the scoresheet then you've made a huge mistake (not speaking just at you mcgoo either). Russia has so much offensive depth that he's performing exactly how I'd expect him too. He should end the tournament with around 7-8 points and he's on pace for that. Russia plays the Gusev, Kucherov and Kuznetsov line a ton and Yakupov mainly earns what is leftover on the second PP.

As for the "shooting too much" and "passing" comment. So far, Yakupov hasn't displayed his passing ability while on the rush but he's more than capable of flying in at top speed and dishing off passes that he has no business being able to make. I've seen him make these types of passes more often this year (without Galchenyuk) and it's becoming my favourite part of his game. He definitely excels when he sets up in the offensive zone but he can certainly pass while at top speed as well (just hasn't done it yet in the tournament).

Good breakdown of his skills McGoo and your observations certainly complement what I have been saying so that's always good.

thanks man, I really tried to watch everything with him the last couple games, even thought they were blowouts.

that makes more sense that his numbers aren't quite up to his hype if he isn't getting the ice time, but I guess my reply to that would be 'why not'? He's supposed to be the best Russian prospect since Ovie/Malkin right? So why is he playing second fiddle to Gusev, Kucherov and Kuznetsov? Is that a Russian phenomenon or what? Certainly that doesn't happen much with Team Canada, you don't see Tavares or Hall playing second fiddle to anyone. From what I saw of his skillset he is better than I suspected, much better than the last time I watched him play at this level so I find this a little curious I guess.

On the passing, I'll keep an eye out for his passing the rest of the tourney, like I said, its a very limited sample set it was just something I noticed...and like I said, the passes he did make setting up those goals were world-class passes...crisp, decisive, and laser precision. That's a part of his game that reminds me much more of a star like Datsyuk than Ovie, that and his stickhandling.

He showed soem decent defensive play tonight too though I wasn't focusing on that and it was only early on before the game got out of hand...how is he as a 2-way player? Is he more Ovie or more Datsyuk?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Dean/Mcgoo, this is just great stuff. I'm not going to pretend to be able to analyze a prospect like you guys, but plain and simple, I think your bang on the money with Yakupov. I've made the effort to watch this Russian team closely as well, and for what it's worth, here are my thoughts and conclusions: The Russian forward I would like most on my Fantasy team is by a long shot Yakupov. My second choice is Gusev followed by Kuznetsov and Kucherov. Why? The "IT" factor. Yakupov plays every shift hard, he wants it, this is a guy who can compete in the NHL! That's right, COMPETE! I say again, Compete! Never mind the skills those are a given, he's world class, the difference with him is the heart! I liked Gusev's heart too, working hard every shift. Which brings us to Kuznetsov. This guy has prototype Russian written all over him. Where was he in the first two games? Disinterested, no fire, he's the bloody captain and he's about as inspiring as a turnip. But, oh... when the happy times begin, look out, now I feel like playing! Kucherov seems to be somewhere in the middle but is less skilled than the others. So, back to Nail, I think the comparision to Ovy is accurate, a "pocket" Ovy, I think so. No Filatov, Radulov, and I'll go out on the limb and add Kuznetsov to the list. Too bad about Grigorenko, I was hoping to see more of him too. Really looking forward to seeing if my comments hold water as we get deeper into the tournament and the level of competition and the importance of the games significantly increases. When that happens, Yakupov will shine.....Kuznetsov.....we'll know soon enough.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Legend

FWIW - I know the hype around here over Russian prospects is sometimes a bit outlandish, but I've heard scouts and hockey people gush over this kid. Something tells me he's different and has much more Ovechkin and Kovalchuk in him than Filatov. Youngblood's analysis is also in-depth and he sees this kid more than all of us (I think). If I had the chance to pounce on Yakupov 1st overall in my draft I would in a second - unfortunately I won't get that chance lol.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    thanks man, I really tried to watch everything with him the last couple games, even thought they were blowouts.

that makes more sense that his numbers aren't quite up to his hype if he isn't getting the ice time, but I guess my reply to that would be 'why not'? He's supposed to be the best Russian prospect since Ovie/Malkin right? So why is he playing second fiddle to Gusev, Kucherov and Kuznetsov? Is that a Russian phenomenon or what? Certainly that doesn't happen much with Team Canada, you don't see Tavares or Hall playing second fiddle to anyone. From what I saw of his skillset he is better than I suspected, much better than the last time I watched him play at this level so I find this a little curious I guess.

On the passing, I'll keep an eye out for his passing the rest of the tourney, like I said, its a very limited sample set it was just something I noticed...and like I said, the passes he did make setting up those goals were world-class passes...crisp, decisive, and laser precision. That's a part of his game that reminds me much more of a star like Datsyuk than Ovie, that and his stickhandling.

He showed soem decent defensive play tonight too though I wasn't focusing on that and it was only early on before the game got out of hand...how is he as a 2-way player? Is he more Ovie or more Datsyuk?
    Re: Ice Time
    From the way I understand it and I've been told this too but Russians are very traditional in their approaches. Much like the USNTDP they reward those players who commit to their national program (in this case the MHL or KHL) over those who have flown overseas to join the CHL. Also the WJC have always been a 19-year old tournament so they are going to give the Kuznetsovs, Gusevs, Kosovs, and Kucherov the ice time over an undrafted rookie in Yakupov. In saying thay, if Yakky continues playing strong (like last game) then they'll be forced to give him minutes but until then its more likely the younger player who left Russia to play CHL hockey will receive mop up duties on the second PP

I should also mention that even Canada cuts/limits the ice time ofdraft eligibles who make the WJC team. Just see RNH from last year(definitely good enough to be there). In Canada, draft eligible players get cutmoreso because of the depth because 19 year olds tend to get first crack but even if they do make the team its usually in a limited role

Yakupov easily could've made the Russian team last year as a 17-yr-old but Russia chose not too.

Re: Player Comparisons
    In the several articles where I've featured Yakupov I have stuck by my initial comparisons of him which is a mix of several current and former NHLers. Yakupov definitely has his own brand but I like to compare his skills to;

-Bure-esque skating ability (tremendous acceleration w the puck)
    -Kovalchuk-esque shooting ability and on the PP he reminds me of Ilya the way he analyzes the opponents
    - Ovechkin-like passion,drive and physicality (obviously not as powerful tho)
    - Stamkos-like one timer off the half boards (albeit the right side for Yakky)
    -Datsyuk-like elusiveness,puck control and puck retrieval. To me, this is the most accurate comparison for these skills. Yakupov will get crunched more than Pavel but over time I think you'll see that happen less. On a nightly basis Yakupov avoids getting hammered because he is so elusive (changes speed as good as anyone I've ever watched). Nail will get hit more than Datsyul because he does like to engage himself more than Pavel. Yakupov is also fantastic. At puck retrieval and he rarely loses a battle.

Re: Two-way ability
    Yakupov is definitely NOT a 2-way player (not yet...or ever likely). Defensively he"s like Ovechkin - capable of defending but certainly not going to get leaned on

Hope this helps

Banned

I think the best comparison for Yakupov is Hall, but he's probably a bit smarter. Expect a Hall-like transition to the pros.

The Great One

I see a lot of Bure in Yakupov. And Bure was one of my all-time favorite players, so that might explain why I like Yakupov so much.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I see a lot of Bure in Yakupov. And Bure was one of my all-time favorite players, so that might explain why I like Yakupov so much.
    I agree with you SeaDawg.
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'd keep:

Backstrom, Hall, Kopitar, Ovechkin
    Karlsson
    Price

and then I'd offer either Doughty or Getzlaf for the first overall pick.

I'd much prefer to keep those two, but if you can't keep them you might as well try to get the first overall pick for them.
    Hey Bro,
    I did it I took your advice and got Smyth,Bieska, and 1st round pick next year (Yakupov)
    for Getzlaf, Campbell, and my 2nd round draft pick. So holdovers are Karlsson, Hall, Kopitar, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Price. I may be able to trade Price and Doughty for Fleury. I did get an offer Hall and Kopitar for Tavares. Is this a good offer? I am leaing towards no. Thanks for the advice I wasn't gonna hold Getzlaf or Campbell anyways and got Yakupov so happy!!!
    11 Team Keeper League G/A/PPG/PPA/SHG/SHA/GWG/+/-/PIM Goalies: Minutes Played Wins Win/Loss % Save Percentage GGA SO. 16 players total on each team. But only 6 total holdovers allowed 5 forwards and or defensemen and 1 goalie.

Holdovers: Duchene, Yakupov, Eberle, Benn, Giroux, Price

Starting fowards: Duchene, Giroux, Benn, Brad Richards , Eberle,MacKinnon
    Starting Defensemen: Campbell, Enstrom, Vlasic , Edler
    Goalies: Smith, Price
    Bench: Yakupov, Ward,Carlson, Nash

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by redsono93 View Post
    I did get an offer Hall and Kopitar for Tavares. Is this a good offer? I am leaing towards no.
    good job landing the pick to get Yakupov, in exchange for players you weren't going to keep anyway

As for the other deal, it is a bit of a coin toss. I can't really choose much between Hall, Kopitar, and Tavares. I think Tavares has the highest upside, but Kopitar and Hall aren't far behind him. Hall, as much as I like him, is proving to be a bit injury-prone and with his style of play I think he might struggle with injuries his whole career. I can't really advice you on what to do there. I'd probably just go with your gut and reject that offer.

Not to get into a big discussion here, but giving up two very good players to land one in a limited keeper isn't always a good idea. Sure, if you can land a pick to get a stud like Yakupov, it makes sense. But in this particular deal you are significantly strenghtening your competition by giving them two star players AND you are reducing the depth of the draft pool next year which negatively impacts the quality of the players you might be able to draft (or re-draft if you can get a player back you dumped). Just something to keep in mind.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

good job landing the pick to get Yakupov, in exchange for players you weren't going to keep anyway

As for the other deal, it is a bit of a coin toss. I can't really choose much between Hall, Kopitar, and Tavares. I think Tavares has the highest upside, but Kopitar and Hall aren't far behind him. Hall, as much as I like him, is proving to be a bit injury-prone and with his style of play I think he might struggle with injuries his whole career. I can't really advice you on what to do there. I'd probably just go with your gut and reject that offer.

Not to get into a big discussion here, but giving up two very good players to land one in a limited keeper isn't always a good idea. Sure, if you can land a pick to get a stud like Yakupov, it makes sense. But in this particular deal you are significantly strenghtening your competition by giving them two star players AND you are reducing the depth of the draft pool next year which negatively impacts the quality of the players you might be able to draft (or re-draft if you can get a player back you dumped). Just something to keep in mind.
    True on all points if I did trade for Tavares my holdovers would be Tavares, Karlsson, Doughty, Backstrom, Ovechkin, Price. Next year I could trade Doughty and holdover Yakupov. I agree I think Hall is a Nash player who will be injured often. Thanks again for the advice I want Yakupov bad How good is Grigorenko? Who can you compare him too? I might be able to obtain him in the draft later rounds since he was injured. Just wanted some insight.
    Last edited by redsono93; January 5, 2012 at 5:12 PM.
    11 Team Keeper League G/A/PPG/PPA/SHG/SHA/GWG/+/-/PIM Goalies: Minutes Played Wins Win/Loss % Save Percentage GGA SO. 16 players total on each team. But only 6 total holdovers allowed 5 forwards and or defensemen and 1 goalie.

Holdovers: Duchene, Yakupov, Eberle, Benn, Giroux, Price

Starting fowards: Duchene, Giroux, Benn, Brad Richards , Eberle,MacKinnon
    Starting Defensemen: Campbell, Enstrom, Vlasic , Edler
    Goalies: Smith, Price
    Bench: Yakupov, Ward,Carlson, Nash

The Great One

Grigorenko is very good. Not all that far behind Yakupov in terms of fantasy value/potential, imo. Yakupov is like Bure, imo, and Grigorenko is like a Thornton or Spezza. I know a lot of players get compared to Thornton or Spezza, but I don't know how better to describe Grigorenko's game. He is very cerebral, slows the game down, and is an elite passer. He is an excellent skater, but not as flashy and fast as Yakupov. More fluid and effortless. His vision is better than Yakupov's, which is no slight against Yakupov. With Grigorenko, I think part of his upside will be based on his line-mates and the team that drafts him. Yakupov, on the other hand, can and will generate more chances on his own. Even if Yakupov ends up on a weak NHL team, I can see him scoring a lot of points even in his rookie season. Grigorenko might not put up crazy numbers immediately if he isn't partnered with an elite winger. Still, Grigorenko's upside is immense and if you can snag him, you definitely should.

Grigorenko isn't injured, btw. I know he did get injured at one point but he is playing again tonight and he played against Canada the other day.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap