Page 134 of 234 FirstFirst ... 34 84 124 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 144 184 ... LastLast
Results 1,996 to 2,010 of 3510

Thread: Where are the good beer drinkers?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Just found another porter for you Bomm, Firestone Walker's Reserve. Here's a link to the list of retailers in your area...

http://www.firestonebeer.com/find/in...Walker+Reserve

It's right up there with Samuel Smith's, Bully!, and Black Butte. I might even slot it in ahead of the last two.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Expert

Well Fellas,

I tried the Hopwired and thought it was really good. I'm really fussy about my IPA's though, and I can definitely find ones I like better and for cheaper. I do enjoy trying out new brews though.

I tried a new one last night as well, called Ugly Sweater. It's a style I'm certainky not well versed in...a Milk Stout. It's from a local brewery called Parallel 49. Again, not my favourite style, but it was sweeter than most stouts and very tastyl
    12 -Team Yahoo, Points Pool, Keeper (Since 1995): G(1), A(1), PPG(1), SHG(1) GWG(1), W(2), SHO(3). Protect 13 each season.

C (4): Hayes, Bonino, White, Bozak
    LW (4): Aho, Huberdeau, K Connor, Gourde
    RW (4): Perry, Boeser, Tuch, Zucker
    F (1):Labanc
    D (4): Barrie, Theodore, Faulk, Shattenkirk
    G (1): Lehner

Bench: (C) Kerfoot, (RW) Silfverberg, (LW) Bertuzzi (D) Q Hughes, R Murray, D'Angelo (G) Demko, Markstrom,

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bumchilly25 View Post
    Well Fellas,

I tried the Hopwired and thought it was really good. I'm really fussy about my IPA's though, and I can definitely find ones I like better and for cheaper. I do enjoy trying out new brews though.

I tried a new one last night as well, called Ugly Sweater. It's a style I'm certainky not well versed in...a Milk Stout. It's from a local brewery called Parallel 49. Again, not my favourite style, but it was sweeter than most stouts and very tastyl
    Milk stouts are really good, and do fill a valuable niche for brewers. I like to think of them as "stouts with training wheels" or "baby stouts". They do a good job of helping ease those who are intimidated by the big dark beers into the style. They're not too bold or assertive but they give newbies a good introduction into the flavors they'll experience once they're ready to step up and try a true stout, or better yet an imperial stout.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    Just found another porter for you Bomm, Firestone Walker's Reserve. Here's a link to the list of retailers in your area...

http://www.firestonebeer.com/find/in...Walker+Reserve

It's right up there with Samuel Smith's, Bully!, and Black Butte. I might even slot it in ahead of the last two.
    Thanks NWO, as soon as i am feeling better gonna try those. Got a list going for the holidays.
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; November 17, 2012 at 9:22 PM.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by bumchilly25 View Post
    Well Fellas,

I've seen some of Parallel 49's brews around but never tried them. Any good as a brewery?

Incidentally I stopped by the beer store and went coast-to-coast with a pair of Imperial IPAs.

Garrison Imperial IPA from Halifax and Pyramid's Outburst Imperial IPA from Seattle... just waiting for the fridge to cool them off a bit.

Edit: Garrison Brewing isn't effing kidding when they say it is unfiltered... cloudy and particle-y as all get out. Not bad though. Not as hoppy as Fat Tug but headed in that direction. Kind of a smoky flavour too. Still, I'd rank it behind the local villains that are cheaper and easier to find.
    Last edited by Loch; November 17, 2012 at 10:56 PM.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Well **** it. I'm going to try this hopwired.

Also big thanks to my frothy brother in Buffalo, Mr. Bomm Bastic.

Was pretty psyched to see that package, especially after I thought I lost my mail key (damnit need to call in monday AM otherwise I'm getting charged $30 to replace locks). He wrapped that shit like crazy too. Letting it rest a few days (after all it had quite the journey) and then I'll have to try it out.

If you need/want anything, you know who to talk to Bomm!

And thus we confirmed that beer shipping is quite feasible (though not cheap... if I was to do an actual beer trade I'd probably do 6-12 bottles). I'm actually doing a beer trade with a guy out of Ontario. We're sending a sixer + 2 750ml each.

First impression of the 8wired:

Smooth, not overpowering hops ie: not a palette killer, but I find the aftertaste a little odd.

Well about halfway through the bottle and overall it's a good IPA and its nice to have something high in alcohol % but without the overpowering taste. Nice change up from lagunitas Maximus and smashbomb IPA.

But at $10 for a 500ml bottle I'm not sure if I'd purchase again. At a more affordable price it'd be a great one to keep stock of as its smooth and definitely an easy drinker.

Man, I miss red racer. I haven't tried a ton of IPA's but that's one of the few I've come across that I was happy with as a daily drinker.

Oops, double post.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Tonights a good night to check in on this thread! I've had 31 of the 50 American beers but only 2 of the Canadian. Beer distro sucks. Today after work I had Bells Hopsoulution on tap. Nice grassy floral nose like a fresh hop ale, somehow clocked in at 8% but didnt taste like it. Also had the usual shift drink Surly Furious.

So some beers I drink every week are near the top of the list like 2 Hearted for example. I have never seen Pliny the Elder though. If the shipping trades work out like you guys say I'd be down for it. One more I'd love to try but isnt around is Half Pints Humulus Ludicrous. Sounds like my kind of beer. A lot of guys here seem to like the Lagunitas Daytime... There is a new brewery in town called Indeed and their Day Tripper is halfway between Daytime and Bells Two Hearted.

Also since Hopslam is #6 on the list, a funny story. One day at work my coworker says we need to get rid of this Hopslam cask to make room for a beer event tonight. If you can find a container take some so we dont have to dump it. I found 5 one gallon olive jars in the basement, washed them and filled them with Hopslam, took it home and bottled it with my then new homebrewing setup. Score!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Oh also Red Racer. Sounds like thats a common one for some of you guys and I'm jealous of that. Never tried it either.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by pull the goalie View Post
    Oh also Red Racer. Sounds like thats a common one for some of you guys and I'm jealous of that. Never tried it either.
    Red Racer is probably easier to ship than most since Central City Brewing has a preference for cans. Just empty out a box of pop cans (preferably something somewhat unique, or maybe just Canada Dry!) and mail away... they open up and see the box of pop and the sloshing is explained. Hell you don't even need much padding for cans.

And it is legal to mail pop.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    First impression of the 8wired:

Smooth, not overpowering hops ie: not a palette killer, but I find the aftertaste a little odd.
    Weird...I got that too. I was actually a little hesitant to try and describe it....but....I thought it reminded me of CornNuts?? I still enjoyed it, but anyone reading a review of an IPA and CornNuts would probably look to avoid.

Anyone looking for an indredible IPA at a great value...seek out Sierra Nevada's Celebration. It's a seasonal, but don't be misled by the red, festive packaging. It's not a Holiday beer by any means...just a super fresh, hoppy bundle of taste. It rarely makes it's way across the border up my way, so I'm trying to see if I can make up an excuse to head across the line. It's well worth it, and maybe $9 a sixer!
    12 -Team Yahoo, Points Pool, Keeper (Since 1995): G(1), A(1), PPG(1), SHG(1) GWG(1), W(2), SHO(3). Protect 13 each season.

Bench: (C) Kerfoot, (RW) Silfverberg, (LW) Bertuzzi (D) Q Hughes, R Murray, D'Angelo (G) Demko, Markstrom,

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by pull the goalie View Post
    Tonights a good night to check in on this thread! I've had 31 of the 50 American beers but only 2 of the Canadian. Beer distro sucks. Today after work I had Bells Hopsoulution on tap. Nice grassy floral nose like a fresh hop ale, somehow clocked in at 8% but didnt taste like it. Also had the usual shift drink Surly Furious.

So some beers I drink every week are near the top of the list like 2 Hearted for example. I have never seen Pliny the Elder though. If the shipping trades work out like you guys say I'd be down for it. One more I'd love to try but isnt around is Half Pints Humulus Ludicrous. Sounds like my kind of beer. A lot of guys here seem to like the Lagunitas Daytime... There is a new brewery in town called Indeed and their Day Tripper is halfway between Daytime and Bells Two Hearted.

Also since Hopslam is #6 on the list, a funny story. One day at work my coworker says we need to get rid of this Hopslam cask to make room for a beer event tonight. If you can find a container take some so we dont have to dump it. I found 5 one gallon olive jars in the basement, washed them and filled them with Hopslam, took it home and bottled it with my then new homebrewing setup. Score!
    You must be from around the Minnesota area right?

A kid I taught/coached plays for the Binghamton Senators. He invited my wife and I to his wedding in June....yup, Minnesota. First thing I did when we got the invite was check to see how far the hotel is from the Surly Brewery. Man, if I can check Hopslam off the list too.......win/win.