Page 11 of 234 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the good beer drinkers?

Dobber Sports Expert

That Blvd beer is classified as an Irish Red Ale......
    Some that should be accesible:

Sam Adams Irish Red....and I think it may even come in one of those Sam Adam's 12 pack mixed boxes.

or...try this site and see if you recognize any:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/161/?sort=avgD
    12 -Team Yahoo, Points Pool, Keeper (Since 1995): G(1), A(1), PPG(1), SHG(1) GWG(1), W(2), SHO(3). Protect 13 each season.

C (4): Hayes, Bonino, White, Bozak
    LW (4): Aho, Huberdeau, K Connor, Gourde
    RW (4): Perry, Boeser, Tuch, Zucker
    F (1):Labanc
    D (4): Barrie, Theodore, Faulk, Shattenkirk
    G (1): Lehner

Bench: (C) Kerfoot, (RW) Silfverberg, (LW) Bertuzzi (D) Q Hughes, R Murray, D'Angelo (G) Demko, Markstrom,

Dobber Sports Wizard

Thanks Bumchilly! Forgot all about that website. I'll print off the list and take it with me. If nothing else as long as I can find that Sam Adams Irish Red I'll be good to go.

The FNMT could be entertaining as I'm liable to be really freaking bombed either when it starts or by the time it's done. If Bomm's there and tanked as well it could be epic....epically good or epically bad.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Well after all the talk of it in this thread I tried Unibroue (sp?) Chamblis tonight. It was good but I think as far as white beers go I prefer Kronenberg (similar taste IMO but bit better) and Hoegaarden.

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    The FNMT could be entertaining as I'm liable to be really freaking bombed either when it starts or by the time it's done. If Bomm's there and tanked as well it could be epic....epically good or epically bad.
    Ehhhhhh......thanks?

Oh. I'll be there for a bit. Count on it. Done at the office today at 1pm (est), hit the gym, pit stop to liquor store (low on vino), happy hour at 5pm, catch first period of Sabres at 7pm, projectile vomit @ 7:15pm due to Sabres' horrific puck control in first period of game....

....and then home for some FNMT.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Wizard

I spent some time last night and again this morning on beeradvocate looking for some places to target locally for some good craft beers. Talk about depressing reading. The laws in this state coupled with the utter lack of adventurousness on the part of beer drinkers here has left me in a wasteland. I do believe Kansas is the Bud Light capital of the known universe. Most of the reviews of the local liquor stores paint a bleak picture. There are some gems to be found but not in the quantities or with the same ease as most parts of the US.

I thought I could just go online to buy some real beer....wrong. It's illegal to buy beer online and have it shipped in, but, I can buy wine online. Just one catch there, the vendor has to keep detailed records of who bought what, how much, and when, and those records must be available on demand to the state of Kansas.

Why you ask? So they can make sure you paid your state "gallonage tax". Thirty cents a gallon for any wine with an alcohol content below 14%, $.75 per gallon above 14%.

There are some good brews from outside the state available in liquor stores, but not much because of the strict puritanical laws imposed on the brewers and the lack of demand on the part of the uneducated beer drinkers here. Strict and very stupid laws + low demand = no reason to bother shipping. It's just not worth the brewers time and effort.

Reading the liquor laws here is mind boggling. Set your calendars back to the 1800's before you get here. Most of the state still prohibits the sale of alcohol on Sundays. Only 17 out of 105 counties are completely wet(I'm lucky to live in one of those), most have restrictions on sales, and 29 are still dry. Hell Kansas had prohibition long before the 18th amendment to the Constitution. It started prohibition in 1881! The state didn't officially end prohibition until 1948, fifteen years after the rest of the country.

At least I have me Guinness, Boulevard, and Sam Adams. Soon to have Deschutes hopefully. They say on their site they will soon be shipping to Kansas and Missouri, but I wonder if it will be available in stores here. I'll be crossing my fingers and toes. Plus there is a good brewpub here in town, but I'm getting the itch to really branch out after reading this thread.

I'm saving up to take a hockey road trip up north in the next couple of years so I'll have to budget to allow for loading up on beers to sneak back in with. That's assuming I go back, I might just find another place to call home.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Ehhhhhh......thanks?

Oh. I'll be there for a bit. Count on it. Done at the office today at 1pm (est), hit the gym, pit stop to liquor store (low on vino), happy hour at 5pm, catch first period of Sabres at 7pm, projectile vomit @ 7:15pm due to Sabres' horrific puck control in first period of game....

....and then home for some FNMT.
    It'll be good as always, I just included the epically good/bad thing for laughs. Hopefully we can get a bunch of others to join in on the fun and really knock it out of the park.

It'll be good as always, I just included the epically good/bad thing for laughs. Hopefully we can get a bunch of others to join in on the fun and really knock it out of the park.
    I'm researching classic viking reggae circa 1000 ad. I hear it was all the rage!
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    I'm researching classic viking reggae circa 1000 ad. I hear it was all the rage!
    Funny you should mention that, I was researching Attila the Hun. That Hunsta rap was off the chain!

Dobber Sports Expert

I spent some time last night and again this morning on beeradvocate looking for some places to target locally for some good craft beers. Talk about depressing reading. Why you ask? So they can make sure you paid your state "gallonage tax". Thirty cents a gallon for any wine with an alcohol content below 14%, $.75 per gallon above 14%.

I'm saving up to take a hockey road trip up north in the next couple of years so I'll have to budget to allow for loading up on beers to sneak back in with. That's assuming I go back, I might just find another place to call home.
    Wow, that is a bit depressing. Make sure you take adavantages of the "Places" link on the left hand side of the Beer Advocate home page. If there is a town, city, or village in the world where beer is sold, you'll find it. I use that for every little trip I take. It will give you reviews for beer stores, bars, pubs, restaurants (beers on tap). I never leave home without it.

Have a great New year's guys!
    12 -Team Yahoo, Points Pool, Keeper (Since 1995): G(1), A(1), PPG(1), SHG(1) GWG(1), W(2), SHO(3). Protect 13 each season.

Bench: (C) Kerfoot, (RW) Silfverberg, (LW) Bertuzzi (D) Q Hughes, R Murray, D'Angelo (G) Demko, Markstrom,

Going to head to the big beer place here later tonight or tomorrow I think.

I checked out that beer advocate sites and nothing in Canada other than Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto pretty much lame.

Going to see if I can find Russian River or Deschutes and give one of those a try.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Going to head to the big beer place here later tonight or tomorrow I think.

I checked out that beer advocate sites and nothing in Canada other than Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto pretty much lame.

Going to see if I can find Russian River or Deschutes and give one of those a try.
    Yeah, in Canada, the site pretty much just hits those 3. Where are you from exactly? Russian River will be really hard to come by, but Decshutes....way more distribution outside of the Pacific Northwest.

Quote Originally Posted by bumchilly25 View Post
    Yeah, in Canada, the site pretty much just hits those 3. Where are you from exactly? Russian River will be really hard to come by, but Decshutes....way more distribution outside of the Pacific Northwest.
    Edmonton, AB.

Dobber Sports Genius

I just drank a Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale the other night. It's pretty good. I like it better than their Obsidian. Black Butte is a good one of theirs though.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Edmonton, AB.
    Here's a few spots to hit up:

Sherbrooke Liquor Store
    ** apparently one of the best**

11819 St. Albert Trail. NW.
    Edmonton, Alberta, T5L 5B5
    Canada
    phone: (780) 455-4556

Chateau Louis Liquor Store

11727 Kingsway
    Edmonton, Alberta, T5G 3A1
    Canada
    phone: (780) 452-2337

Keg N Cork Liquor Company

3845 99th Street
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Canada
    phone: (780) 461-0191

Happy Hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by bumchilly25 View Post
    Here's a few spots to hit up:

Sherbrooke Liquor Store
    ** apparently one of the best**

11819 St. Albert Trail. NW.
    Edmonton, Alberta, T5L 5B5
    Canada
    phone: (780) 455-4556

Yep, this is the one I was planning to head to tonight or tomorrow. Only been there once quite a while back but there beer selection was damn impressive. Little worried on price, but we'll see.