Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cowen or Brodie?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Cowen or Brodie?

Keeper league, but looking more for production for this year, who'd you rather have?

J.Cowen or TJ.Brodie. Points only

Thanks for any input.
    12 teams Pts only, Salary cap
    F Tavares MacKinnon Giroux Pacioretty Larkin Granlund Toffoli Aho Marchessault Weal Tuch Kempe Athanasiou
    D Hedman Barrie Klingberg
    G Talbot Bobrovsky Hellebuyck

16 teams H2H, G A +/- PIM STP GWG W SO GAA SV%
    C Crosby Barkov Larkin Dvorak
    LW Pacioretty Schwartz Bjorkstrand Roussel
    RW Pastrnak Atkinson Silfverberg
    D Subban Shattenkirk Montour Hanifin
    G Rinne Saros Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Wizard

Brodie for me.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Ninja

If I'm not mistaken Cowen projects more to be a defensive defenseman while Brodie is more offensive.

I'd go with Brodie.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Brodie as well. Cowen is a shut down type.

Dobber Sports Guru

Yep as mentioned Brodie is the offensive minded one and Cowen is the big hitting big bodied shut down guy. Also Cowen has Karlsson, Gonchar, Rundblad, Wiercioch (assuming he recovers) ahead of him from an offensive standpoint. Brodie will put up more points this season in my opinion and with Giordano out likely long-term he is being given offensive opportunity.

Dobber Sports Deity

Brodie has more offensive upside, but is only there right now because of the injury issues on Calgarys D. Cowen is playing on the #1 PP alongside Karlsson. Take that for whats it worth.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Brodie has more offensive upside, but is only there right now because of the injury issues on Calgarys D. Cowen is playing on the #1 PP alongside Karlsson. Take that for whats it worth.
    Could that be because Gonchar is injured?

Banned

Not saying pick Cowen, just giving you arguments. Cowen is already playing 25-30 minutes per night, is showing that he also can handle an offensive role, and is already one of the best young d-men in the league. TJ Brodie doesn't have his overall upside. Cowen's downside is Marc Staal, upside Shea Weber-Zdeno Chara. He will not just be a shut-down defenseman IMO. He has a great shot that will turn into goals once he gets more comfortable and actually shoots more. Plus he's very mobile for his size.

But for short-term, probably Brodie although it's not like he is anything special. I'd take the guy with pedigree and upside over him.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Could that be because Gonchar is injured?
    Of course, but he has also been with the big club all season long, and was on #2PP before that. He will be with the big club at seasons end (baring injury of course). Are you comfortable saying the same thing about Brodie?

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Wolverine

Of course, but he has also been with the big club all season long, and was on #2PP before that. He will be with the big club at seasons end (baring injury of course). Are you comfortable saying the same thing about Brodie?
    That's fine thanks. I never said anything about Brodie being a better option. It was just a question.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    That's fine thanks. I never said anything about Brodie being a better option. It was just a question.
    Sorry, I took your last comment as sarcasm.

The Wolverine

Sorry, I took your last comment as sarcasm.
    No worries. But it's an interesting question nonetheless. Brodie had been getting good PP time once Giordano got hurt, but seems like Derek Smith is getting better ice time lately and is producing more. I guess it could depend on how long Giordano is out.

I don't really have a choice, but interested to hear others' opinions and reasoning. Being a one-year question (as mentioned in the original post), upside probably shouldn't come into play. Who should get the better opportunity in the coming weeks - that's the question.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think that Cowen has more offensive upside than people think. He put up pretty good numbers in junior (scored 11 more goals than Brodie in his last year of junior) and his brief stay in the AHL. He is also getting PP1 minutes right now (due to injuries) and has put up 5 points (2 goals, 3 assists) in the last 10 games.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by trader11 View Post
    I think that Cowen has more offensive upside than people think. He put up pretty good numbers in junior (scored 11 more goals than Brodie in his last year of junior) and his brief stay in the AHL. He is also getting PP1 minutes right now (due to injuries) and has put up 5 points (2 goals, 3 assists) in the last 10 games.
    I tend to agree here. Cowan has some offensive potential not a ton but still. His defensive abilty alone will give him a ton of playing time for the Sens which will result into points as well. I´m simply no believer in Brodie and see him as the pure odd guy that gets some mentioning cause the opportunity is there.

I prefer the safer bet with a little less upside here.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by trader11 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by keytolife View Post
    I tend to agree here. Cowan has some offensive potential not a ton but still. His defensive abilty alone will give him a ton of playing time for the Sens which will result into points as well. I´m simply no believer in Brodie and see him as the pure odd guy that gets some mentioning cause the opportunity is there.

I prefer the safer bet with a little less upside here.
    You must keep in mind that Cowen was 20 for the second half of his last year (4th) in junior (he played 6 games as a 15 yr old but I didnt count that as a season) so he was 2-3 years older than almost everyone he played against. In their fourth seasons Cowen got 48 pts in in 58 gp and Brodie got 56 in 65 gp so they were very close.

Not taking anything away from Cowen as if I was building a actual NHL team I would take him every day of the week over Brodie but for this year Ill give the edge to Brodie as he has 5 pts in 19 gp and Cowen has 6 pts in 31 gp (5 of which as mentioned came in the last 10 games).

heres some links to the PP production and TOI for each team (just scroll down in aplha order). Cowen has picked it up lately avergagin 1:29 on the PP over the last 5 games but his season abverage is 17 seconds of PP per game. Brodie has also seen a jump of around a minute the last 5 games, he is averagin 2:58 PP TOI per game in the last 5 compared to a season average of 1:50. Again a lot fo this will depend on opportunity and injuries to other Dmen. As of right now I see Brodie getting a longer look in offensive situations that Cowen.

Western Conference:
    http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...ft.cgi?ppbwest

Eastern Conference:
    http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...ft.cgi?ppbeast
    Last edited by wendelclark17; December 14, 2011 at 4:08 PM.