Thread: Please help me put together this trade

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Please help me put together this trade

So this Flyers fan is desperate to get Giroux from me. He is dangling Nash and Perry, but frankly I would not touch Nash right now. What about this trade:

My Giroux + Pacioretty (or Elias) + Halak (or Schneider), for his Perry + Fleischmann + Howard (or MA Fleury). I get an upgrade at G no matter what combination I propose, and would hope that Perry + Flash would be equal to Giroux + MaxPac (or Elias).

He's smart, but he really wants Giroux and might go for just about anything I throw at him. Am I dumb to trade Giroux away for this G upgrade? Halak is not the clear #1 and neither is Schneider. Howard or MAF would set me up well. And I do still have Malkin and H-Sed, but I'm shy on PIM's every week. If Perry rebounds a bit and Flash stays hot all season, this would work well for me, right?

Thanks for your thoughts!
    C: Kopitar, Jarvis (RW), Thomas
    RW: Wilson, Bratt (LW), Zuccarello, Svechnikov (LW)
    LW: B. Tkachuk, E.Kane, Boldy (RW)
    D: Matheson, Rielly, Dahlin, Burns
    G: Shesterkin, Vasilevskiy, Kochetkov
    IR+

10 Team H2H, one year, G, A, +/-, PPP, PIM, HIT, W, SVP, GAA, SV
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2Util, 2G

Dobber Sports Ace

I don't know if I'd do it. Fleury is a huge step up in value over Schneider usually, but you won't notice much of a difference in your percentage cats, just wins. And in a 10-team league, I get the sense goaltending is pretty easy to come across. If you were to do it, I'd eliminate Flash from the deal and look for a much better second forward.

And I'd deal away Schneider before Halak, I see him as a good sell high candidate. Schneider's perceived value may be higher to some, but I think he's peaked for this year as Luongo's going to be taking starts back, but Vancouver isn't really in a position where they trust Luongo enough to deal away Schneider. And if he does get dealt, it will be to a team that's struggling and looking to solve a problem. Halak, on the other hand, is turning it around and will always be the 1A option.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Not a huge fan of your described deal...any chance you could post his roster. It'd be fun to pick him apart!
    14 team, 1 year "H2H total pts" league
    g(3), a(2), +/-, ppp, pim(.5), shots(.4), saves, wins(4), so(4)

2C-
    2LW-
    2RW-
    4D-
    Util-
    2G-

Dobber Sports Stud

Here's his roster. Honestly, he doesn't have much to trade me. He made a decision to only draft good goalies and then guys with 100+ PIM's and see what happens. Says he's only "in it for fun" this year. Remarkably, he is 3rd in the standings! Of course he kicks butt in PIM's every week, and his goalies have won him a bunch of weeks.

Backes, Dubinski, Marchand, Flash, Clowe, Perry, Souray, Hamhius, McDonagh, Bieska, Lucic, Ott, Nash, MAF, Howard, Niemi
    IR+

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think you pull out the third player on your side of this deal. More players = more unknowns and you want to cut those down in any deal. I'd rather deal Schneider as he's a sell high and despite his starts, Halak is the starter (will reclaim) on that team and has been really money in his last 10 or so games.

What I would do with this is propose Giroux and Schneider for Howard and Backes. Backes is a multicategory stud, with flex that should lessen the load of losing Giroux and Howard is a big upgrade in net - guy plays almost every damn game for the Wings. You have to think:

Giroux >> Backes
    Howard >> Schneider
    Yahoo! Keeper League (5 keepers)
    G, A, Pts, +/-, PIM, FW, shots, hits, blocks, W, sv%, GAA, SO

C: Seguin, Toews, Krejci, Bjugstad, Nelson
    RW: Tarasenko, Hayes, Vrbata, Jagr
    LW: E. Kane, JVR, Soderberg, Killorn
    D: OEL, Yandle, Green, Campbell
    G: Halak, Anderson, Hiller

Dobber Sports Stud

Wow - you wouldn't even include Perry? I was thinking that he was the only player on his roster that I'd just have to have. How about Giroux + Schneider for Perry + Howard? But I do agree that adding more players just adds to the unknown.

Who knows.... maybe Giroux is out for 2 months with a concussion and this is all moot!
    IR+

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by jimc21 View Post
    Here's his roster. Honestly, he doesn't have much to trade me. He made a decision to only draft good goalies and then guys with 100+ PIM's and see what happens. Says he's only "in it for fun" this year. Remarkably, he is 3rd in the standings! Of course he kicks butt in PIM's every week, and his goalies have won him a bunch of weeks.

Backes, Dubinski, Marchand, Flash, Clowe, Perry, Souray, Hamhius, McDonagh, Bieska, Lucic, Ott, Nash, MAF, Howard, Niemi
    Perry, Backes and Fleury for Giroux, Elias and Schneider is about the only trade I'd consider. You need to aim high if you're trading Claude Giroux.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Wow - you wouldn't even include Perry? I was thinking that he was the only player on his roster that I'd just have to have. How about Giroux + Schneider for Perry + Howard? But I do agree that adding more players just adds to the unknown.

Who knows.... maybe Giroux is out for 2 months with a concussion and this is all moot!
    Fair point about about Perry, he does have peripherals and a lot of potential, but that team has already made a coaching change and doesn't really look that great still. Love Bruce as a coach (as my BBQ sauce avatar shows), wish the Caps had never traded him, but think he needs a whole year and offseason, possibly with some roster shakeup to get that team back on track.

But, looking at your categories, if you can offset the +/-, I would try with Perry, because Backes is a bit more valuable in leagues with more counted. Especially since Perry will get you some PIMs and still has 24 points, which is solid. Still think you take out the 3rd players though, try to make it a clearcut of a swap as you can.
    Yahoo! Keeper League (5 keepers)
    G, A, Pts, +/-, PIM, FW, shots, hits, blocks, W, sv%, GAA, SO

C: Seguin, Toews, Krejci, Bjugstad, Nelson
    RW: Tarasenko, Hayes, Vrbata, Jagr
    LW: E. Kane, JVR, Soderberg, Killorn
    D: OEL, Yandle, Green, Campbell
    G: Halak, Anderson, Hiller

Dobber Sports Stud

So I'm thinking Giroux, Elias and Schneider for Perry, Flash and Fleury. Can I go wrong with that? This is all assuming that Giroux is not concussed.
    IR+

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

So I'm thinking Giroux, Elias and Schneider for Perry, Flash and Fleury. Can I go wrong with that? This is all assuming that Giroux is not concussed.
    I don't think so, that would be a good trade for you.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

try getting perry + howard/fleury + lucic/clowe/backes for giroux + schneider + something decent. if the loves giroux and will do anything to land him, then you may as well try and rip him off lol