Thread: Brett Sterling

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Brett Sterling

Top prospect for the Thrashers. I heard he is a virtual lock to make the team and he has been very impressive in the AHL. I know he is small but that fits in well with today\'s NHL. What do you think is his potential?
    Upside points-wise? I have heard he is 1st line material because of his nose for the goal.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re:Brett Sterling

Sterling reminds me a bit of Brian Gionta - tiny (5\'8\" may even be exaggerating it) but plays with lots of heart, puts himself in excellent position to capitalize on rebounds, and doesn\'t mind passing but would rather score the big goal himself.

His stats this season clearly speak for themself (55-42-97 in 77 GP for Chicago), well deserved ROTY, and I love that he did it in his first year after graduating from CC (where he was also a standout player). He has nothing left to prove in the AHL (disclaimer: I may have heard Dobber say that at one point) and will be given every chance to steal the #2 LW spot in Atlanta.

Hard to say how he\'ll do in the NHL. He could be a solid 3rd line energy player or he could pull a Gionta and put up a point per game a couple of years from now. Not sure that I\'d count on the latter, but you\'ve got to give the kid kudos for never having failed to raise his game when faced with the next level of competition.
    T.G.