Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Crosby will miss the next 2 games

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    It's mind blowing how many people on the forum were so confident he would be back 100% like superman, posting 2ppg like as if he would just pick up where he left off last season and be the same fearless player in the corner and in front of the net like he once was. That was just wishful thinking.
    I wasn't implying that Crosby... as an athlete and competitor... wouldn't be playing fearless. I don't think he knows any other way to play. All I'm saying is that playing that style has consequences and the risks are amplified when you've suffered a major concussion.

Ummmm, something is not like the other ...

Dobber Sports Expert

This is a knee injury.... since when can you get concussed from a knee on knee?
    73M Cap, Partial Keeper: 4F(ANY) 2D, 2G, Year : H2H Daily 2C/2LW/2RW/1F/4D/2G, 16 Teams

Pro

C: Eichel Seguin
    LW: Ovechkin, Lee
    RW: Marner, Palmieri Buchnevich, Simmonds
    D: Karlsson Byfuglien, Petry, Muzzin
    G: Rask, Murray Jarry

Farm (Max 200 GP):
    C. White, Vrana, Hischier, Sikura, DeSmith

Stat Categories

Skaters
    FOW(.1) G(4) A(3) PPG(1.5) PPA(1) SHG(3) SHA(2) GWG(1) SOG(.2) +-(1) PIMS(.1) BLK(.2) HIT(.2)
    Goalies
    W(6) L(-1) SHO(5) SV(0.1) GA(-0.2) GAA(Range of -1 to 8) SV%(Range of -1 to 8)
    Twitter:@RogerWi1co

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Smokie View Post
    This is a knee injury.... since when can you get concussed from a knee on knee?
    Well, the report says he doesn't feel right or whatever, and they had him take the concussion test, so obviously it's not just the knee.

The question is whether the layoff is because of the knee or the noggin.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by grindin griers View Post
    Ummmm, something is not like the other ...
    You're really drawing straws here, but let me connect the logic for you since this is clearly beyond your capabilities:

If you keep playing a certain style.... opponents will take liberties on you... especially when you're the best player in the world and they know you're more vulnerable because of your history.

After a while... one of two things will happen... you will one day get decked so hard that you're done for good, or you will eventually take so much damage that you'll have no choice but to change your game.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Ev and others who are dismissing the possible concussion, if it's simply a knee injury then why is Crosby taking concussion tests? If the Penguins are concerned with it then you should be as well.

Also, for those who aren't worried about "future" concussions then I think you need to rethink that. The worst part of becoming victimized with a concussion is the fact that they can return with just the most minor collision.

For hockey I hope that Crosby's knee is okay and it's good that he passed the concussion test but if see the Penguins worried about Sid then telling people not to worry about Crosby seems a little out there.

Dobber Sports Initiate

You're really drawing straws here, but let me connect the logic for you since this is clearly beyond your capabilities:

If you keep playing a certain style.... opponents will take liberties on you... especially when you're the best player in the world and they know you're more vulnerable because of your history.

After a while... one of two things will happen... you will one day get decked so hard that you're done for good, or you will eventually take so much damage that you'll have no choice but to change your game.
    I understand your concept. I was just pointing out that you were contradicting yourself in those two posts. Maybe it was poor wording or I just didn't read it right but they seemed to be contradictory to what you were saying about his fearlessness when he came back from his concussion. I do agree that he is more susceptible to a concussion but so far he has not changed his game from what I have noticed. But yes it is possible that he could change his game later on in life due to his concerns about his health.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Ev and others who are dismissing the possible concussion, if it's simply a knee injury then why is Crosby taking concussion tests? If the Penguins are concerned with it then you should be as well.

Also, for those who aren't worried about "future" concussions then I think you need to rethink that. The worst part of becoming victimized with a concussion is the fact that they can return with just the most minor collision.

For hockey I hope that Crosby's knee is okay and it's good that he passed the concussion test but if see the Penguins worried about Sid then telling people not to worry about Crosby seems a little out there.
    the problem is Penguins overreacting. If Crosby got a headache from playing too much COD or having his music too loud, they would probably freak out about that as well.

That being said, they obviously aren't concerned too much if he was practicing.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Interesting point made on NHL Network-both Letang and Michalek passed the baseline tests at first. Sometimes it takes a couple days for symptoms to appear. Just food for thought. Nom nom nom.
    MFHL

F: Kovy, Stamkos, DSedin,PKane, Hemsky, Vanek, Gagner, Bergeron, Little, Gagne, Frolik, Backes
    D: Gonchar, JBo, Jovo, Yandle, Martin, Pronger
    G: Lundy, Turco
    B: Lupul, Kunitz, Filatov, Hornqvist, Moss, Coburn,Kulikov, Lee, Sekera, Price, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Crosby is amazing. Bet he wins the Art Ross with a dizzy head and one good knee.

I 100% agree. Check the tape.
    RW: Gaborik, Kessel, Alfredsson; Read (C);
    D: Green; Ehrhoff; Wideman; Pronger(IR);
    G: Miller; Hiller; Vokoun, Kunitz

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P, +/-,PPP,SHP,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G

Don't mistake opinion for fact.
    44-49-17

Dobber Sports Stud

400% is a legit number backed by historical data
    Looking at some of the literature (e.g. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...v036p00027.pdf and http://thejns.org/doi/pdf/10.3171/2010.9.FOCUS10210), it seems that there is not a firm consensus on increased risk of subsequent concussions, but that they may be a little more likely. The big, agreed upon result is that each additional concussion increases the amount of time missed by 2-2.5 times (100-150%).

A common thread in many studies is that the outcomes are highly variable, and that each case needs to be evaluated individually. There are very few cases (statistically speaking) in which players have symptoms for as long as Crosby has, so it is not possible to make valid evaluations of risks after this class of injuries.

As for those who claim that the Penguins are being overly cautious, they are right that, while headache is the most common symptom of concussion, lots of other things can cause headaches. However, research is very clear that players suffering a concussion while still symptomatic for a previous concussion are at MUCH greater risk of severe injury, or even death. Given the potential risks, extreme caution is warranted.

If I were a Crosby owner, I would definitely be concerned with this most recent event.
    I am and I am.
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,Blocks,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Еric Staal   Henrik Zetterberg (LW)   Matt Duchene   Brayden Point   Danny Heinen (C/LW/RW)
    LW: Johnny Gaudreau   Taylor Hall   Jonathan Huberdeau   Nick Schmaltz (C/LW)
    RW: Никита Kucherov   Blake Wheeler   Jakub Voráček   Teuvo Teräväinen (LW/RW)
    D: Shea Weber   Dustin Byfuglien   Keith Yandle   Seth Jones
    G: Ben Bishop   Jake Allen   Martin Jones

Dobber Sports Star

Watched NHL channel and their pitt guy said they were worried.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post

YUP. A voice full of common sense.
    REDRUM
    -roto - 10 team - keep 20 of 24 - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, SV, SV%

C - Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Nick Bjugstad, Jonathon Huberdeau
    LW - Evander Kane, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider, Jonathon Drouin, Sven Baertchi
    RW - Kyle Okposo, Valeri Nichushkin, Gustav Nyquist, Chris Stewart
    D - Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Viktor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson
    G - Jonathon Bernier, Sergei Bobrovsky, Darcy Kuemper, Robin Lehner

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

The maintenance day on Tuesday was for the knee, these two games are for concerns stemming from the Krejci elbow. He felt a little funky, and likely a bit battered, bruised and fatigued. At this point, no news is good news. If symptoms appear before next Tuesday, we are in trouble. Even if it doesn't sideline him for an extended period of time, it will reveal his fragility. I think there is reason enough to chalk this one up to cautiousness and paranoia.
    Defending champ but still hungover

Dobber Sports Expert

My Fantrax player update said this as of today:

"Penguins: Crosby doesn't have a concussion
    The Pittsburgh Penguins are saying that Sidney Crosby is not being held out of the next two games due to a concussion. Crosby experienced a slight headache following Wednesday's practice, but the results from his testing came back fine. "Dr. Collins said there is no indication of a concussion at this point in time," said coach Dan Bylsma said after the team's morning skate Thursday. "After practice, he had a slight headache. He knows his body well. As a precaution, he's taking tonight's game off and the weekend." The Penguins captain plans to work out Friday and the team is hoping to have him back in the lineup on Dec. 13 against Detroit."
    73M Cap, Partial Keeper: 4F(ANY) 2D, 2G, Year : H2H Daily 2C/2LW/2RW/1F/4D/2G, 16 Teams

Pro

C: Eichel Seguin
    LW: Ovechkin, Lee
    RW: Marner, Palmieri Buchnevich, Simmonds
    D: Karlsson Byfuglien, Petry, Muzzin
    G: Rask, Murray Jarry

Farm (Max 200 GP):
    C. White, Vrana, Hischier, Sikura, DeSmith

Stat Categories

Skaters
    FOW(.1) G(4) A(3) PPG(1.5) PPA(1) SHG(3) SHA(2) GWG(1) SOG(.2) +-(1) PIMS(.1) BLK(.2) HIT(.2)
    Goalies
    W(6) L(-1) SHO(5) SV(0.1) GA(-0.2) GAA(Range of -1 to 8) SV%(Range of -1 to 8)
    Twitter:@RogerWi1co

Dobber Sports Stud

Hmm headaches and general malaise...
    [SIZE=1][I] 10 Team H2H Roto (Start 3C,3LW,3RW,5D,4Bench,2G in bold)
    C: Kopitar, Getzlaf, Haula
    LW: Vrana, Svechnikov, Bertuzzi
    RW: Brown, Kase, Rakell
    D: Burns, Giordano, Hedman, Gustafsson, Josi
    G: Vasilevskiy, Rittich
    "Bench":
    IR: Malkin