Thread: The OHL Rundown - December 5th

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default The OHL Rundown - December 5th

Late today but the weekly OHL Rundown is posted

The OHL Rundown - December 5th

The latest edition has a heavy focus on the upcoming World Junior Championship, 2012 NHL Entry Draft and obviously lots of pertinent OHL news.

Enjoy and feel free to discuss here.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Subban should have got an invite to team Canada. He is playing really well and im sure Canada will regret it.

Banned

is this really worth an 8 game suspension?

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/v...d6a688292179ac

Are you kidding me, that was such a dirty hit. He should have got more then 8 games for that hit. Puempel aimed right for his head and thats what he got. The petes got smashed in that game by the Generals like they do every year and he was mad and decided too take his anger out on someones head. Of course 8 games was worth it.

Banned

too harsh for a hit on a guy who a) has the puck and b) has his head down. Puempel was finishing his check hard, but the player hunched over a bit at the last second. He also put himself in a bad position.

Hard hit but Puempel is hardly a headhunter/dirty player. Seen worse than that before.

not saying no suspension, but missing a month seems waaaay too harsh. Definitely not an 8 game suspend able hit IMO

In the end I don't care too much, not a Petes fan or anything like that, but how does this get 8 while the vicious slash to the midsection to Cousins got like 2 or whatever the final result was?
    Last edited by Big Ev; December 7, 2011 at 8:04 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    too harsh for a hit on a guy who a) has the puck and b) has his head down. Puempel was finishing his check hard, but the player hunched over a bit at the last second. He also put himself in a bad position.

Hard hit but Puempel is hardly a headhunter/dirty player. Seen worse than that before.

not saying no suspension, but missing a month seems waaaay too harsh. Definitely not an 8 game suspend able hit IMO

In the end I don't care too much, not a Petes fan or anything like that, but how does this get 8 while the vicious slash to the midsection to Cousins got like 2 or whatever the final result was?
    Ohhhh you care enough Big Ev since Puempel is a Sens prospect

The thing I have come to expect in the OHL is expect the unexpected when it comes to suspensions. For the most part, every hit to the head suspension has been more than it "should have been" (compared to the NHL anyways). Branch and the OHL are cracking down on head shots but no one ever knows/understands the reasoning behind his random games he gives out.
    I am still baffled how Ryan Rupert only received 5 games for his baseball swing to Nick Cousins and then the OHL decides (for the first time this year) not to include a video explaining the suspension.

There is a lot of sketchy things going on behind the suspension process in the OHL.

Banned

I will just pretend that Puempel has gone to the World Juniors and that is why he has missed 8 games.

Banned

By the way, Austin Watson is being traded to Sarnia for Brett Ritchie

I don't think i like that trade. I think Watson is better then ritchie or am i wrong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hockeynerd View Post
    I don't think i like that trade. I think Watson is better then ritchie or am i wrong.
    Watson is in his last year though. Ritchie will still have 1 more junior season. Petes probably thinking in terms of next year.

Oh ok thanks for that Ritchie will look good on the Petes. By the way where did you get that trade from i went to the Petes website and its not posted there. Also a minor trade has happend.

Oshawa Generals Traded:

D Mitch Eden

Kitchener Rangers Traded:

4th round pick in 2012
    4th round pick in 2015
    conditional 3rd round pick in 2017

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hockeynerd View Post
    Oh ok thanks for that Ritchie will look good on the Petes. By the way where did you get that trade from i went to the Petes website and its not posted there. Also a minor trade has happend.

Oshawa Generals Traded:

D Mitch Eden

Kitchener Rangers Traded:

4th round pick in 2012
    4th round pick in 2015
    conditional 3rd round pick in 2017

yeah it wasn't official but I read it on twitter from credible people, saying it's going to happen. not sure though

Thanks a lot man. I appreciate the info.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The Ritchie trade isn't official (yet) but where there's smoke there's fire.

Ritchie has underachieved big time in Sarnia. At times, he's the most dominant player on the ice with his size, skill and shot but it doesn't happen enough, not near enough actually.

The Watson for Ritchie trade makes sense as it gives Sarnia an experienced versatile skilled player to play in the top 6 and in all situations. If true, Watson would move closer to his home roots (Ann Arbor) which would be great for him and his family. It sounds like there's been tension between Coach Reid in Peterborough and Watson lately. Ritchie would join his brother in Peterborough for the remainder of this year and next. The trade makes sense for both teams as Peterborough is likely a year away from competing and Ritchie would help that next year.

It'll be interesting to see if this deal actually happens but I like it for BOTH teams. I would think that Sarnia might want some sort of upgrade coming their way in the form of picks as Watson would be gone next year but maybe not either.

Apparently there's rumours of Ryan Spooner coming to Sarnia but I can't see both of these trades happening for Sarnia and I sure as hell hope they don't sell off Ritchie AND a player like Kujawinski (2011 1st Rd Pick for Sarnia) for 4-5 months of two overagers.