Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Giguere

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Giguere

Giguere, who earned just short of $4 million in 2006-07, is a 30-year-old free agent.
    Where do you think he will go and for how much

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re:Giguere

I guessing he\'ll be done in Anaheim. Burke loves to play hardball and will play the waiting game with Giguere. Giguere will become a UFA and test the market. His preference will be to stay in Anaheim but the demand for his services after 2 strong playoffs and a cup will be to much to keep him in Anaheim. Preffering to stay close to home, Giguere opts for L.A. and the 6-7 million dollar multi year deal. Money talks and Burke\'s offer of 5.5-6 just wasn\'t enough to keep Giguere from taking his Stanley Cup ring to L.A. Of course I\'ve been wrong before.

Dobber Sports Stud

My personal opinion/hope is that Giguere will resign in ANA. I see him wanting to stay in the area due to his son\'s condition, and he has already gone on record saying that he will not jump ship to LA. So based on this I think he stays in ANA. Of course he could go for the best offer/money and end up somewhere like Florida... who knows. He\'s on my keeper team though, so I\'m hoping for ANA.
    12 Team H2H (Daily) - Keep 10 + 5(Farm)
    4C/3LW/3RW/4D/3G/4Bench/3IR
    G A Pts +/- STP GWG SOG/ W Sv% GAA SHO
    Centers:
    A. Barkov (IR), C. McDavid, J. Carter, Y. Gourde(LW), N. Paul(LW), C. Stephenson
    LWs:
    F. Forsberg, J. Guentzel, A. Duclair(RW), E. Haula(C), A. Killorn
    RWs:
    N. Ehlers(LW), V. Tarasenko, F. Gaudreau(C), V. Podkolzin
    D:
    T. Chabot, C. Makar, M. Dumba, OEL, N. Schmidt
    G:
    S. Bobrovky, T. Demko, J. Gibson(IR), A. Stolarz(IR)
    Farm:
    J. Annunen, A. Kaliyev, A. Lundell, F. Lysell, M. Rossi

Dobber Sports Stud

I agree with Chowdeur. I think he could stay in Anaheim. Bryzgalov will likely get moved with Hiller possibly becoming the backup. Giguere\'s decision will be made more complicated if the recent surgery, for his son, was successful. If there are no more health issues then I could see him moving on. At the present time my gut feeling is he will remain in Anaheim.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

No way Giguere leaves Anaheim. I know Burkie likes to play hardball in contract negotiations, but I don\'t think that he can afford to let Giguere go. Seriously, who would replace him? Does anyone think that Bryzgalov is as good yet? No. Are there any other available goalies as good as Giguere that would save Anahiem any money? No. Does Burke care about getting younger in goal right now? No.

Giguere\'s got a young family, he\'s made his home in Anaheim, just won a cup with them, they look strong enough to compete for the cup again...so many reasons for him to stay. Unless there\'s some reason that I can\'t see right now, I figure that the deal gets done for around $6 million, at least 2-3 years.
    Full Keeper Team, straight points, no PIMs:
    C Under construction
    LW Under construction
    RW Under construction
    D Under construction
    G Under construction
    Farm Under construction

Dobber Sports Expert

Giguere can\'t afford not to sign in Anaheim. He is great positionally and clutch come playoff time, but his overall reflexes and lateral movement are suspect. He\'d be asking for a 2-3 million dollar contract if he had played on different team (like LA) this past year. Pronger and Niedermayer are his meal ticket--CASH IN!
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

andrewklassen wrote:
    Giguere can\'t afford not to sign in Anaheim. He is great positionally and clutch come playoff time, but his overall reflexes and lateral movement are suspect. He\'d be asking for a 2-3 million dollar contract if he had played on different team (like LA) this past year. Pronger and Niedermayer are his meal ticket--CASH IN!
    he brought them to teh finals long before Nieds and Pronger so that has nothing to do with it. that being said i agree about his playing but he will definately command 5-7M this summer

Dobber Sports Expert

I\'m not saying he sucks, just that he\'s somewhat overrated. They had some good defensemen on their previous run to the Cup finals including K. Carney I believe (and this team has usually been defensively consitent).

I just don\'t believe he\'s a potential goaltending savior like Luongo or Kiprusoff can be (and so shouldn\'t be given that kind of money). With his solid positioning and huge pads if his team keeps opposition shooters to the outside Giguere will look like a wall. The overall ability, defensive savvy, and size of the Ducks is a perfect fit for a goaltender like him.
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

I...am your father.

Burke is all business. Giguere could have 10 babies and 30 puppies in Anaheim and it won\'t matter one bit if Burke\'s cap scenario is hurt by keeping him. Burke knows that Bryzgalov is a capable starter and Giggy is probably worth more than Burke can pay.

Of all the GM\'s, Burke is the one that is closest to being a realist. I think Giggy goes and he\'ll get his $6 million. I say he goes to somewhere unexpected, like Phoenix or Florida.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I agree with dobber when he speaks of burke, but the only thing that can soften his irish heart is indeed a stanley cup. and if neds retires he will want to keep giggy. a proud cdn too, no way burke will opt for a russian keeper.

andrewklassen wrote:
    I\'m not saying he sucks, just that he\'s somewhat overrated. They had some good defensemen on their previous run to the Cup finals including K. Carney I believe (and this team has usually been defensively consitent).

I just don\'t believe he\'s a potential goaltending savior like Luongo or Kiprusoff can be (and so shouldn\'t be given that kind of money). With his solid positioning and huge pads if his team keeps opposition shooters to the outside Giguere will look like a wall. The overall ability, defensive savvy, and size of the Ducks is a perfect fit for a goaltender like him.
    Whoa, did you watch any of that previous Cup run? Let\'s just say it wasn\'t Carney that took them there. Giggy was insane and carried that team. Lots of 40+ save games. They don\'t give a player on the losing team the Conn Smythe trophy unless they do something remarkable, which he did. Who knows if he can do it again, but there is no doubt he has it in him.

Dobber Sports Expert

I\'m not trying to start or even win an argument here. I watched a ton of the previous cup run (I had most of that Detroit team in my pool...believe me I cried every time Giguere made another save...and I agree he earned every inch of the Conn Smythe). Having said that, Giguere\'s strength is that he rarely looks spectacular in making saves (good positioning, few rebounds, good defense helps this). And hear me clearly on this, I\'d take this type of goaltender over most others b/c you can build a good team game around this and everyone looks good as a result.

He is worth big money BUT NOT great money! My opinion.

Forwards
    Defense
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Stud

andrewklassen wrote:
    Giguere\'s strength is that he rarely looks spectacular in making saves (good positioning, few rebounds, good defense helps this). And hear me clearly on this, I\'d take this type of goaltender over most others b/c you can build a good team game around this and everyone looks good as a result... He is worth big money BUT NOT great money! My opinion.
    I think essentially we\'re getting down to positioning (Roy) vs. agility (Hasek) when evaluating talent. But the GM\'s mind, or the arbitrator\'s, the only thing that really matters is that they get the job done. I agree that Giguere\'s greatest strength lies in his ability to fill up the net by staying square to the puck, but by definition, he has been the best goaltender in the NHL for at least two of the last four seasons (one by virtue of the Smythe, one by virtue of the Cup). That, to me, is a resume item which merits \"great money\" for next season.
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Expert

The goaltending elite possess both agility and reflexes coupled with good positioning. I\'m not convinced Giguere is in the same league as...say... Luongo. In the world of hockey you can\'t argue with Giguere\'s resume and this is worth huge dollars (and there are worse ways you could spend your money as a GM).

Let me just put this in. Chemistry seems to be underrated in the hockey world. Knowing when you have a good thing going is worth something beyond sheer dollars (extreme example...Anson Carter). Confidence for a goaltender is also vital to their ongoing game. I\'ll simply be interested to see if Giguere does move elsewhere to a team that is struggling or rebuilding (ie. LA or PHO) whether he can maintain a solid and consitent game despite being lit up more often than in Anaheim (the expectations of large contracts often haunt goaltenders on weaker teams b/c they\'re looked upon to be \'saviors\'...Khabibulin is a case in point although his game could rebound as the team around him improves).

Post edited by: andrewklassen, at: 2007/06/20 12:18

Forwards
    Defense
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Ducks sign Giguere to 4-year extension http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID...5&hubname= so theysign um for 6 mill a year