Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Jakob Silfverberg and Johan Larsson

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Take off the Swedish bias and take a look at Silfverberg and Stone you have two guys who are putting up similar NHLE numbers in their respective leagues.

Silfverberg is also a year and a half older so you need to compare how these guys are doing in their leagues and in their development/age.

Then dock points off of Stone for the World Jr "small sample size" bias.

In the end it's pretty much a wash and personal preference between these guys. A lot of "I saw him good" enters here as well.
    Then you put on the Ottawa management bias and it's a runaway victory for Silfverberg.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

They are both Ottawa prospects so its a wash.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

No, Ottawa is clearly more in favor of Silfverberg if you know dick about the organization.

Stop trolling.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

I presented clear facts. Their NHLE based on production is very cloe, and basically identical based on their ages (when Silfverberg was Stone's age he produced less) and they have a clear age gap.

Banned

Silfverberg is Ottawa's best prospect at the moment. I think him and Stone are going to be NHLers for sure, and both guys' have improved a ton since being drafted. Both also similar in that their only weaknesses are their skating. I wouldn't bother trying to compare stats between the two as their leagues are completely different, and in the SEL a prospect's situation differs year by year. Many people think both can one day be star or impact forwards in the NHL. Edit: another similarity is that they both have size yet don't play a heavy physical game.

Also, just to point out, they are only 1 year apart in terms of "hockey age".
    Last edited by Big Ev; February 24, 2012 at 11:36 PM.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Trying to sift NHL Equivalencies out of varying league is like voodoo and it's difficult to REALLY know how good these players are.

The SEL in particular seems to be very difficult as fans of many of the young guys who have come from that league should know by now.

I'm so sick of hearing about the next "insert Swedish name" to come from that league only to turn into a 3rd line checking forward.

Both of these players are projecting at this point to be quite good, but sometimes people need to lay off of the rhetoric.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Silfverberg has drawn comparisons to Alfredsson. I know that might just be lazy writing but from everything I've read, seen etc, it could be accurate. Larsson is not as far along in development but supposedly projects along the lines of a smaller, poor man's Jamie Benn. Good at everything, including D and a hard worker, with good but not great offensive upside.

I know that's fairly general but I hope it helps.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Trying to sift NHL Equivalencies out of varying league is like voodoo and it's difficult to REALLY know how good these players are.

The SEL in particular seems to be very difficult as fans of many of the young guys who have come from that league should know by now.

I'm so sick of hearing about the next "insert Swedish name" to come from that league only to turn into a 3rd line checking forward.

Both of these players are projecting at this point to be quite good, but sometimes people need to lay off of the rhetoric.
    HAHAHAHA! You are seriously telling people to lay off the rhetoric? That's priceless!

I don't give a shit about stat wanking. Stats are for Ryan Ma to jerk off to. I watch the players, notice the little things they do and react accordingly.

The simple truth is this: People in NA are mostly clueless about Silfverberg because he never came on to the scene on the regular platforms like WJC and whatnot. That doesn't take away his apparent skill, hockey smarts and work ethic for those of us who are actually watching him. All you have is stat progression hoohaa that mostly doesn't fit into the picture when we talk about semi-late bloomers like Silfverberg.

He's a carbon copy of Loui Eriksson.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Keep the insight coming on these Swedish prospects Sentium. I appreciate the updates!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    HAHAHAHA! You are seriously telling people to lay off the rhetoric? That's priceless!

I don't give a shit about stat wanking. Stats are for Ryan Ma to jerk off to. I watch the players, notice the little things they do and react accordingly.

The simple truth is this: People in NA are mostly clueless about Silfverberg because he never came on to the scene on the regular platforms like WJC and whatnot. That doesn't take away his apparent skill, hockey smarts and work ethic for those of us who are actually watching him. All you have is stat progression hoohaa that mostly doesn't fit into the picture when we talk about semi-late bloomers like Silfverberg.

He's a carbon copy of Loui Eriksson.
    I think Loui's skating is much better

Dobber Sports Ninja

The thing is I've never once claimed that Silfverberg is not projecting to be a good player. However, I am using the tools available to try and get a realistic gauge on exactly HOW good guys like him are projecting to be.

League difficulty, age, role on the team etc are all important factors in not over/under valuing players.

I'll admit I'm even more sensitive to the Sweden factor since I've had to listen to the endless nauseating backers of every Lander, MPS, Omark (in particular) that comes to the Oilers along with their inevitable fans who claim that the player is some kind of star.

For some reason fans of players who play in the SEL and then come over to NA tend to drastically overrate their players as the norm and not the exception. It's just the truth. It doesn't mean that no player from the SEL is going to pan out, but it does mean that some balance is certainly needed in evaluating these players and not flipping out because they are doing well in a third rate league.

So while you call it "stat-wanking", I call it due diligence and homework. It's not a foolproof system either, but over the past few years I've noticed that the guys who work their asses off by using some of these numbers in their work on evaluating talent, tend to be less certain of their thoughts on players, but like in many other fields (politics, finances etc) also tend to be right more often than those who are are CERTAIN they are right.

What I find hilarious is that you just went on a rant in another thread about how people need to stop exagerating and using hyperbole in the things tey say while out of the other side of your mouth you do the same thing in this thread because you "saw him good". Your insight on these players is very valuable - as a part of the whole.

I merely jumped into this thread because sometimes it's helpful to temper the Swedish insanity that seems to frequent many message boards, with a little bit of reason and balance.

Banned

I admit to overrating Rundblad. Guys like him don't have the same success over here - now I've learned.

You have to evaluate each Swede separately and not just look at the stats. A guy like Omark being a YouTube sensation was probably not going to do much in the NHL simply due due to the toughness, higher speed, and less time and space. A guy like Silfverberg projects a lot better.

Banned

With the regular season now over, Silfverberg finished with 24 goals, 30 assists for 54 points in 49 games. 2nd overall in scoring but the best PPG in the elite league at 1.10.

Johan Larsson meanwhile finished with 36 points in 49 games.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the update EV. Those 24 goals were also good for 2nd. I'm excited about this kid. Jarnkrok missed the last two weeks but also put up solid numbers.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league...en&season=2011
    10 Team Pts Only Keeper

Banned

Silfverberg voted MVP of the SEL by the players