Thread: player ranking vs. dollar value

Dobber Sports Pro

Default player ranking vs. dollar value

Dobber,

I am in a pool that utilizes the NHL salary cap. The scoring system is set up to allow for many statistical categories and we have found that the salary cap makes the pool much more realistic as you have to plan out every move and trade carefully.

My question is:

How would a system like this affect your rankings?

Your lists say they are based on predicted points, historical points, injury risk, playoff value, powerplay time, and long-term potential but there is no mention of salary.

Have you already factored it in or are your statistics based solely on production?

If you do not take salaries into account, do you know of a rating source that does? or...
    Do you think taking your rating and dividing by the players salary is a valid statistical evaluation or should their be some sort of formula implemented to make this more accurate.

Example: (very basic)

Crosby 06/07 = 120 points salary $850k
    Crosby 07/08 = 135 points salary $850k (guess at pts)
    Crosby 08/09 = 150 points salary $6.0M (guess at pts)

So dobber has crosby rated at 408.6 as of now.

408.6 divided by .85 = 480.7
    BUT in 2008/9
    Crosby\'s points increase to 150 his salary will be at least 6 mil.
    SO.. even if his rating (Dobber\'s rating) goes up to 500.
    500 divided by 6.0 = 83.3

As you can see the value of Crosby is decreased drastically within a salary cap structure due to the huge jump in salary. The logic being that the difference of $5.15 million would have been utilized on the rest of your team.

Please do not jump on my case about the relative merits of Crosby, I am not suggesting he is not valuable or worth every penny, but when assembling a roster in a salary cap system, you cannot strictly take the next best player or point producer, it is all about the cap. Crosby was just the example as we all know his salary is artificially low due to the rookie salary structure.

I am really just looking for other\'s input as to the factors and/or formulas they have used to evaluate players vs. salary.

Thanks.

ps- DAMMIT..I was logged on right around the 2 million but I did not scroll down to see the counter. I feel like I forgot to check my lottery ticket. I hope someone gets to claim that honour. Great site Dobber.

Post edited by: Chuk, at: 2007/06/17 11:04

I...am your father.

Default Re:player ranking vs. dollar value

You know what - that system seems as good as any chuk. It\'s tough to balance a cap league while using the rankings. Man, I couldn\'t even begin to come up with an idea to properly make the adjustments to the rankings based on salary
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi