Thread: JJ for a 1st overall

Dobber Sports Expert

Default JJ for a 1st overall

Would you guys trade JJ for a 1st overall in next year's September draft. My league and details are in my sig. It's a limited keeper, but also includes players that will get drafted this summer. It looks like it'll almost for sure be the 1st overall selection.

In our pool a D gets 2 points for a goal. Given the # of players counting at each position I'm finding that a 50 point D [10 G, 30 A] is roughly equal to a 70 point F [who don't get a goal bonus].

Grigorenko and Yakupov would be in play in essence for JJ. How do you guys see points ceilings working out here. I also plan to push for it again next year so I need players who will play in the NHL...prospects or not.

Thoughts?
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

No brainer. Accept the deal.

Dobber Sports Expert

How many D would you normally protect? If it's usually only 2, then I think it's a no brainer to make that trade. If Yakupov is available and you end up with that pick....I have to think I'd do it? You look like your D can handle the loss of JJ.
    12 -Team Yahoo, Points Pool, Keeper (Since 1995): G(1), A(1), PPG(1), SHG(1) GWG(1), W(2), SHO(3). Protect 13 each season.

C (4): Hayes, Bonino, White, Bozak
    LW (4): Aho, Huberdeau, K Connor, Gourde
    RW (4): Perry, Boeser, Tuch, Zucker
    F (1):Labanc
    D (4): Barrie, Theodore, Faulk, Shattenkirk
    G (1): Lehner

Bench: (C) Kerfoot, (RW) Silfverberg, (LW) Bertuzzi (D) Q Hughes, R Murray, D'Angelo (G) Demko, Markstrom,

Banned

oh yeah for sure, there's going to be a ton of juicy options you could grab 1st overall in a limited keeper. JJ is a nice player to be sure but I would be very surprised if you couldn't lock up a superior player with that pick

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Consider that offer your early xmas present and accept that ASAP

Dobber Sports Expert

I've managed to land an extra Keeper Slot for next off-season so I can protect 11 Keepers and 3 prospects.

Crosby, AO, Backstrom, Kesler, Radulov [were the 4 F I was planning on]
    Letang, Byfuglien, JJ [were the 3 D I was planning on]
    Fleury, Price, Rask [were going to be my final 3]
    Kulikov, Carlson, Huberdeau [were my 3 prospects]

If Kulikov scores more than 55 points by our pool parameters he loses his prospect eligibility though and I'm starting to think he's the better point option of the two. Either way, it would allow me to keep a D there and likely fill the spot with an improvement in the draft...

Worst case scenario trading JJ winds up like trading for another keeper slot...if it does wind up being the first overall pick I could also re-draft any player I couldn't keep.

I drafted JJ as a prospect and have been hanging on to him waiting for him to 'pop'. I know it's still early in a D development 5-7 year window and he's showing signs of improvement all along. I'm just starting to think 50-55 points is his ceiling.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by andrewklassen; November 24, 2011 at 12:00 AM.
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Ninja

Andrew - you need to make this deal... like yesterday.

JJ is a solid defenseman, but I don't see him being a 50+ point guy. He doesn't have that level of talent, and now with Voynov emerging as an offensive talent, his opportunities may be more limited going forward.

If there's even a 20% chance you can land Yakupov by trading JJ (and it sounds like the chances are much greater than that), I would not hesitate to make that deal, as JJ's fantasy production is pretty easily replaceable, especially in a limited keeper where people will most likely dump most of their d-men.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Andrew - you need to make this deal... like yesterday.

JJ is a solid defenseman, but I don't see him being a 50+ point guy. He doesn't have that level of talent, and now with Voynov emerging as an offensive talent, his opportunities may be more limited going forward.

If there's even a 20% chance you can land Yakupov by trading JJ (and it sounds like the chances are much greater than that), I would not hesitate to make that deal, as JJ's fantasy production is pretty easily replaceable, especially in a limited keeper where people will most likely dump most of their d-men.
    Agree with blaze and even if you miss out on a top 2 pick this draft is still very deep in D and you should be able to grab an upgrade on JJ there....
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by andrewklassen View Post
    I've managed to land an extra Keeper Slot for next off-season so I can protect 11 Keepers and 3 prospects.

Crosby, AO, Backstrom, Kesler, Radulov [were the 4 F I was planning on]
    Letang, Byfuglien, JJ [were the 3 D I was planning on]
    Fleury, Price, Rask [were going to be my final 3]
    Kulikov, Carlson, Huberdeau [were my 3 prospects]
    Thoughts?
    Regarding the topic: Take the trade while it's still available!

Regarding this quote... You're gonna use Radulov as a keeper??

Dobber Sports Expert

Could you please hit accept ASAP? Oh man what a present.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Initiate

As a JJ owner, I would do this move in a heartbeat. I will have him on the block in my keeper league come trade dealine time as I am a fringe playoff team and I will be able to get a kings ransom for LA's #2 D man. The demand for Kings players is very high.

Even if it turns out to be a top 10 pick, I think you win long term.

Do the deal!
    14 Team Keeper PTS, +/-, PIM's *.3 20 Players, 4 Center, 8 Wing, 6 D-men, 2 Goalies, NHL cap hit $91 Million Total

Centers Tavares, Giroux, Draisaitl, Eichel
    Wing Eberle, Kessel, Schenn, Hall, Nichushkin, Stone, B. Ryan, Connolly
    Defence Karlsson, OEL, Shattenkirk, Murphy, Gardiner, Daley
    Goal Lehner, Schneider

Prospects Shinkaruk, Frk, Pulock, Marner, Zacha, Rod, Kapanen, Leblanc, Kristo, McNeill, Noesen, Tuch

Dobber Sports Ace

I'd trade Jack Johnson for the 25th overall pick, but I doubt I'd ever get that.
    Weekly H2H
    G / A / P / +- / PowerPlayPoints / Shots / Goalie Wins / GAA / Save%

Dobber Sports Expert

Many thanks for weighing in guys. I was talking with the other GM last night and had just put this out as a feeler and he said he would do it. I sent an e-mail this morning officially extending this as a trade offer and I'll wait to hear back from him.

In my pool a 50 point D [assuming he scores 10 goals] is a 60 point player and, as 60 point D are so hard to come by [and we count 6] they're golden...worth at least an 80 point F. So people are really hesitant to trade these type of players and they're sparse in our re-draft.

What I was curious to get a sense for was where you guys see JJ topping out in upside vs. some of the young talent coming into the NHL from the up-coming entry draft. I think the unanimous opinion is I can, at worst, break even in this deal...with an above average chance of improving fantasy wise.

Many thanks.

Forwards
    Defense
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by andrewklassen View Post
    Would you guys trade JJ for a 1st overall in next year's September draft. My league and details are in my sig. It's a limited keeper, but also includes players that will get drafted this summer. It looks like it'll almost for sure be the 1st overall selection.

In our pool a D gets 2 points for a goal. Given the # of players counting at each position I'm finding that a 50 point D [10 G, 30 A] is roughly equal to a 70 point F [who don't get a goal bonus].

Grigorenko and Yakupov would be in play in essence for JJ. How do you guys see points ceilings working out here. I also plan to push for it again next year so I need players who will play in the NHL...prospects or not.

Thoughts?
    Yakupov>JJ
    Quite simply, do the trade. I don't really know what else to say.

Good luck.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."