Thread: Contender or Pretender: Garrison

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Contender or Pretender: Garrison

I picked him up and I am totally thrilled with this "late bloomer". Leads D-men in goals and has high SOG. So what's the verdict on him? Contender or Pretender?
    CCRWRWLWLWFWDDDDUGG (4 bench; 2 IR)

Yahoo Head 2 Head; 2 Keepers
    (G),(A), (+/-), (PIM),(PPP),(SHP),(GWG),(SOG), (FW), (W), (GAA), (SV%), (SHO)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

IMO, squarely in the middle, a late bloomer with a limited ceiling. He's not going to keep potting goals at this rate, and seems much more comfortable as the trigger man vs. setting up other players on the PP, but he's getting solid PP time, posts decent peripherals, and could definitely end up with 40 points or so.

D-Men who shoot a ton with cannons for slapshots = never a bad thing
    12-team, Keep 3 (2 years max with inflation) Auction Roto, 14-cat (10 skater, 4 goalie). $400 bank for auction.
    F: Kaprizov, Huberdeau, M Tkachuk, B Tkachuk, Connor, Kadri, Debrincat, Kuznetsov, Batherson, Strome, Barbashev, Granlund, Couture
    D: Hamilton, Pietrangelo, Weegar, Karlsson, Chabot
    G: Markstrom, Jarry, Kahkhonen

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by thorbs View Post
    IMO, squarely in the middle, a late bloomer with a limited ceiling. He's not going to keep potting goals at this rate, and seems much more comfortable as the trigger man vs. setting up other players on the PP, but he's getting solid PP time, posts decent peripherals, and could definitely end up with 40 points or so.

This is a very good assessment of him imo. I think he could reach 40pts or so this year. I wouldn't expect that every year, but there aren't really a lot of options were he is to push him out in the next few years...
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Other thing to think about is that with Campbell, Kulikov, Garrison and conceivably Gudbranson, that's a pretty solid top-4, esp for fantasy purposes, and with Garrison's shot, there's no way they don't run him out there to fire away from the top or high slot off-wing (where he scores all his goals, no lie) when they slide into the umbrella on the PP.

I dropped him to take a flyer on Berglund recently, but I already have Kulikov on my roster so didn't want the two D from the same team.
    12-team, Keep 3 (2 years max with inflation) Auction Roto, 14-cat (10 skater, 4 goalie). $400 bank for auction.
    F: Kaprizov, Huberdeau, M Tkachuk, B Tkachuk, Connor, Kadri, Debrincat, Kuznetsov, Batherson, Strome, Barbashev, Granlund, Couture

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Kulikov is definitely the more highly touted player but it seems that Garrison is earning more PP time and IS delivering. Probably won't waste a keeper spot on him but as my 5th D-man, this VERY GOOD for me.
    CCRWRWLWLWFWDDDDUGG (4 bench; 2 IR)

Yahoo Head 2 Head; 2 Keepers
    (G),(A), (+/-), (PIM),(PPP),(SHP),(GWG),(SOG), (FW), (W), (GAA), (SV%), (SHO)

Dobber Sports Giant

Had another goal last night on an absolute rocket... can you guess who assisted on it???
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Had another goal last night on an absolute rocket... can you guess who assisted on it???
    Maybe just possibly my boy FLASH LIGHTNING

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by thorbs View Post

Why wont he keep potting goals at this rate? It's not like Florida has a better point shot...
    16 teams, Yahoo H2H keeper league ( we keep ALL of our players from year to year) 2C 2RW 2LW 4D 2G 5B 1Util

No salary cap

G A +/- PIM PPP SOG HIT W GAA SV(total) SV% SO

C: Crosby , Lecavalier, Ott , C. Smith
    LW: A. Mcdonald (C), Pacioretty , Wheeler, Greening
    RW: Read (C), M. Michalek (LW), Neil, J. Samson
    D: T. Kaberle, Wisniewski, Meszaros, Quincey, Garrison, Voynov,
    G: Fleury, Bryzgalov, Khabibulin, Enroth, S. Mason

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by ForsbergnSakic View Post
    Why wont he keep potting goals at this rate? It's not like Florida has a better point shot...
    It's not to say that he won't keep being utilized as a booming shot on the PP, but he is currently firing at nearly double his career Shooting% so he should definitely slow down a bit. I certainly don't see him scoring 20 goals this season out of nowhere...

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    Maybe just possibly my boy FLASH LIGHTNING
    I was talking about Brian Campbell actually. He's assisted on all eight of Garrison's goals this season.

Dobber Sports Sage

I was talking about Brian Campbell actually. He's assisted on all eight of Garrison's goals this season.
    I took a 50/50 chance not being aware that Campbell as assisted on them all

grammar Nazi
    Noun

Quote Originally Posted by ForsbergnSakic View Post
    As a disclaimer I dropped Garrison to roll the dice with Berglund, so this is partially to convince myself as well

As far as I know, Bourque only hit 30 goals once, and the list of D that have hit 30 can't be more than 10, and if so, not by much. Mike Green is the only defenceman in the 2000s to do it, I believe.

For comparison's sake, look at Souray's sick year with MTL before we (Habs fan here) let him go for nothing:

Souray:
    224 shots, 11.4% scoring rate, 26 goals, 19 on the PP.

Garrison is on pace for:
    226 shots, 12.6% scoring rate, 29 goals, 12 on the PP.

Mike Green when he hit 30:
    243 shots, 12.8%, 31 goals, 18 on the PP.

Is it IMPOSSIBLE that he keeps scoring like he does? No, not at all, Garrison's got a cannon, but we're talking about Garrison scoring more than Souray, and about the same as Green with a much higher percentage of even-strength goals, and when I say Souray and Green, I don't mean surly old guy in Dallas and BAB in Washington, I mean Souray in his prime on a Habs PP that was beastly, and a healthy Green on what, in my opinion, was the most potent offensive team in recent memory, if not the past 10 - 20 years.

I DO think he hits 20, but also think he ends up with a 20 - 20 year, not a 30 - 20 or 30 - 30 one.

Whew, too much typing.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

It's not to say that he won't keep being utilized as a booming shot on the PP, but he is currently firing at nearly double his career Shooting% so he should definitely slow down a bit. I certainly don't see him scoring 20 goals this season out of nowhere...
    I don't think it's too much a stretch. He has 8, and he's played 20ish games. Do you really think he wont get 12 over the next 60?

And he isn't coming out of nowhere (see: Aaron Rome) - he's been fairly consistent to start the season - if you look at the game by game breakdown, he hasn't gone too long between goals.
    Last edited by ForsbergnSakic; November 24, 2011 at 5:01 PM.
    16 teams, Yahoo H2H keeper league ( we keep ALL of our players from year to year) 2C 2RW 2LW 4D 2G 5B 1Util

No salary cap

G A +/- PIM PPP SOG HIT W GAA SV(total) SV% SO

C: Crosby , Lecavalier, Ott , C. Smith
    LW: A. Mcdonald (C), Pacioretty , Wheeler, Greening
    RW: Read (C), M. Michalek (LW), Neil, J. Samson
    D: T. Kaberle, Wisniewski, Meszaros, Quincey, Garrison, Voynov,
    G: Fleury, Bryzgalov, Khabibulin, Enroth, S. Mason