Thread: The OHL Rundown - November 21st

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default The OHL Rundown - November 21st

Up later than usual (got busy) but the latest OHL Rundown is up for viewing.

The OHL Rundown - November 21st

Enjoy! Discuss!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

That was a clean hit by Domi. All he did was teach Gavrus to keep his head up.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by hockeynerd View Post
    That was a clean hit by Domi. All he did was teach Gavrus to keep his head up.
    I have no issue with the hit myself but I have to think that these are the type of hits that leagues are trying to get players to avoid.

In other news, the Toronto Maple Leafs have signed OHL Mississauga Majors defenseman Stuart Percy (2011 1st Round Pick, 25th overall) to a 3 year deal

Thats great i think this kid will be great some day. Im a huge Toronto fan so this is good to see.

Stats:

17 points in 18 games so far and is also the captain of the majors.

Oshawa Generals has traded for D Peter Hermenegildo from Saginaw Spirit for a 7th round pick. Well who gives a crap about a 7th round pick and i dont get to watch Saginaw so so i don't know him other then he is an overager.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by hockeynerd View Post
    Oshawa Generals has traded for D Peter Hermenegildo from Saginaw Spirit for a 7th round pick. Well who gives a crap about a 7th round pick and i dont get to watch Saginaw so so i don't know him other then he is an overager.
    Well, 7th rounders are usually picks that teams use to take top end talent that initially have no intentions of coming to play in the OHL. Teams use these 7th round picks to select players that could pay huge dividends if they have a change of heart. You only have to look at Sarnia's lineup to see if these 7th round picks are valuable.

You would be laughing if you selected the following guys and they decided to change their mind and report

Connor Murphy (2011 1st Rd NHL Pick, 20th overall - PHX) was a 2009 15th round pick (290th overall) of the Sarnia Sting.

Reid Boucher (2011 4th Rd. NHL pick, 99th overall - NJD) was a 2009 14th round pick (272nd overall) of the Sarnia Sting.

These are just two examples of how these late picks (much later than the 7th round "you could give a crap about") can turn out to change the face of an OHL franchise.

Mark Schiefele (Barrie Colts, Winnipeg Jets' 7th overall selection) was a 7th round selection of Saginaw (134th) in 2009

Jamie Oleksiak (Saginaw Spirit, Dallas Stars 1st rd selection) was a 7th round selection in 2008 (138th)

Other Notable Late picks:
    Scott Wedgewood - 7th Round/08 (NJ Devils),
    Andrew Creszenzi - 7th Round/08 (Toronto Maple Leafs)
    Tanner Pearson - 14th Round/08 --currently leading the OHL in scoring

In other news,

Barrie Acquires Daniel Erlich for BAR 4th in '14, NIA 5th in '12, conditional 8th in '17

That Conditional pick in2017 means that it could turn out to be a kid who is 10 years old right now. The OHL needs to put a cap on trading picks that far into the future....ridiculous

Thanks for explaining to me about how valuable 7th round picks are for that decision, you are right and i did not know that thanks for teaching me that. Learn something new everyday .

Now that you said that it make me more upset on why did the Generals do that trade its pointless. I wish they kept that pick no about what you said and Peter only has the rest of this season to play as well.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The Generals need to do something. Coming into this season, I personally had them as one of the top 3 teams in the Eastern Conference and they have been the most disappointing OHL team BY FAR this season. They tried shaking things up by bringing in a new coach but that hasn't turned around. From what I've seen and heard, the Gens are really missing de Haan on the backend and it's no secret that their blueline is really weak. Getting a veteran like Peter Hermenegildo wont hurt the Gens and I wouldn't worry too much about a 7th rounder. The examples of players above are abnormalities and don't happen too much in the O especially for teams like the Gens. Oshawa doesn't have the ability (like London, Windsor, Kitchener) does of luring top US prospects to the 'Shwa.

I don't think this will be the last move Oshawa makes as they still need to get some better defensemen in there that can move the puck to their stacked forward group. If the ship doesn't turn around shortly don't be surprised to see Oshawa start shipping out some of these talented forwards.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    In other news,

Barrie Acquires Daniel Erlich for BAR 4th in '14, NIA 5th in '12, conditional 8th in '17

That Conditional pick in2017 means that it could turn out to be a kid who is 10 years old right now. The OHL needs to put a cap on trading picks that far into the future....ridiculous
    Funny you should say that as I posted the exact same thing over on the Storm Forum on hfboards before I read it here. Something really needs to change.

P.S. How was Eklblad? I still haven't seen him play yet, is the hype legit?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Ekblad was very impressive. He was one of the main reasons that Yakupov didn't seal the win for the Sting in the latter minutes of the 3rd period and overtime. Yakupov was possessed but Ekblad defended smartly. Great skater for his size. Calm and smart with the puck. The kid is only going to get better in this league.