Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Drew Doughty: Overrated

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Drew Doughty: Overrated

He had a good year two years ago, but I am beginning to think this guy is overrated, at least as far as fantasy goes. I had always stayed away from him in drafts but with all the hoopla about his contract this offseason, somehow I got duped into thinking he was worth drafting. Boy, am I regretting it now. Took him way too high and am getting nothing- NOTHING- from him.

SO what do you guys think? I know people who own him in keeper leagues will be quick to defend him, but lets get some honest opinions. Is Doughty really a D worth taking high in a draft?

Dobber Sports Ninja

I personally rarely ever use a high-draft pick on a d-man. My typical draft strategy is to lock in an elite goalie in rounds 1-2, and lock in a second #1 goalie in rounds 3-4. I make sure I lock up an elite forward within the first 2 rounds (usually first round). I don't usually draft my first defenseman until round 4 at the earliest, but usually round 5-6.

I think it's too risky to use a high pick on D. If you look at the last 10 years, the d-men point leaders are all over the place - there is no consistent 70+ point threat. There's usually 1-2 guys in the 65-80 point range, and the rest fall into the 55-65 point range... it's too much of a crapshoot to predict who the 65-80 point scorers will be.

Forwards on the other hand are much more reliable and you know with reasonably accuracy who the top 1-10 scorers will be.

Another reason to draft d-men later on, is because while there are only a very small handful of 65-80 point guys each year, there's a huge glut of 45-55 point guys, and you can easily pick these guys up in the mid-late rounds.

To answer your question, I'm also starting to come around to your view that Doughty is overrated. I don't know if it was the concussion or if he was just a one-year wonder like Keith, but he doesn't look the same as he did 2 years ago.
    Last edited by blayze; November 6, 2011 at 4:26 PM.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Good points, Blayze.

Dobber Sports Ace

As I said in the other Doughty thread, he is still quite young, has great skill, has alot of talent around him, is the main defensive cog on the team due to his own attributes and the long term contract and wants to be successful which is key...he missed camp, got dinged early in the season and the team itself is going through adjustments due to new personnel and guys that were sent away...its just a matter of time IMV until he shows more consistent stud-production, but it will take some patience...
    Champion: 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016
    12 Team Keeper League - 12F, 6D, 3G, 3 Bench (Keep 6, in Bold)
    $250 Cap (0-9 +3; 10-19 +4; >20 +5 each season)
    WW = $10

G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, GWG, SHG, W, GAA, SV%, SO - Points Based League

F: Guentzel (15), Point (11), Barzal (18), WNylander (15), Trochek (1), Eberle (1), Domi (4), Toffoli (1), TBertuzzi (1), Buchnevich (1), Tuch (1), Puljujarvi (1)

D: Theodore (17), Heiskanen (15), Pulock (7), Sanheim (1), Faulk (1), Morrissey (1)

G: Markstrom (7), Saros (15), Binnington (39), Jarry (40)

B: DeSmith (1), Lindblom (1)

IR or Out: Ghost (1), OEL (9), Teravainen (28), PMyers (1)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Front89 View Post
    As I said in the other Doughty thread, he is still quite young, has great skill, has alot of talent around him, is the main defensive cog on the team due to his own attributes and the long term contract and wants to be successful which is key...he missed camp, got dinged early in the season and the team itself is going through adjustments due to new personnel and guys that were sent away...its just a matter of time IMV until he shows more consistent stud-production, but it will take some patience...
    Those are a lot of excuses in there, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

What about last season though, when he only posted 40 points in almost a full season of games?

Dobber Sports Genius

To put this mildly he is 55 point talent minimum based on skill-set and he is on one of the best PP units in the league...he will produce as he is going nowhere in regard to that top PP unit and will log 25+ minutes. It's jsut what it is, if he was a forward and sucking where he has more autonomy over his production it'd be a different story, not as a high-end D talent in potent offensive environment. Needs to shoot the puck more though rather than deferring so much, but likely a little less secure timing-wise etc after missing all of camp basically and an early injury to keep him out of the lineup. No doubt he gets it together shortly.

Dobber Sports Genius

Doughty is awesome for the real game of hockey....and now not so much overrated in fantasy but just a top 15. Green appears to have had the same happen to him only he sux in the real hockey...example: Doughty DOMINATED at the Olympics and Green was never considered. (both elite fantasy producers at the time)
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Veteran

Doughty might be a great defensive d-man, but he is incredibly over rated as an over all Dman. What got everyone drinking the kool-aid with this guy is the Olympics when the media were jizzing in their pants over him. They couldn't shut up about how many minutes he was playing, how young he was and how poised he was. I'm not saying this because of hindsite, I really mean it, I never saw it. I didn't see what was so good about him. If you look at this totals, the guy had 2 assists for two lousy points. And yet they were speaking of him like he was Bobby Orr and Paul Coffey. Also, the guy has had one dynamite fantasy season where he scored 59 points. The next year he got 40 points. That's Mark Giordano numbers, not elite Mike Green, Visnovski kind of numbers. But people, including me and every guy in my pool, went gaga over him, over paying and getting so screwed in the process.

I'll never own Doughty. He's not worth it. He might be a very good hockey player, but besides his one very good 59 point year, he's been an average defenceman....very average. 27, 59, 40 and now on pace for 20 whole points. And this guy is making 7 plus mill a year?

In my opinion, stay away from him in your fantasy circles. He's gotten by off of his reputation from one year.
    Head to Head League: 1 point for G, 1 point for A. 2 for Goalie win, 3 for SO.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    Protect 3 players every year in keeper.
    10 rounds of drafting
    F: Crosby, Point, P. Kane, JVR, Kopitar, Rakell, Tarasenko,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Karlsson, Grzelcyk, Faulk,
    G: Bob, Shesterkin, Demko, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Drew Doughty = Sell?
    I can see myself getting some pretty good trade value for him.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Wr3cksh0p View Post
    Drew Doughty = Sell?
    I can see myself getting some pretty good trade value for him.

IMHO, if you can rape somebody in a trade for this guy do it. Right now people might be thinking that they can "under pay" to get him from you, but don't let them. Trade him like you are trading the 59 point defenseman, not the 20 point pace, injury riddled, out of shape d-man you have now.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    10 rounds of drafting

Dobber Sports Master

Holy panic button Batman....

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Wedgy View Post
    Holy panic button Batman....
    Care to explain? On a purely fantasy perspective, how is Doughty not one of the most over rated players?
    10 rounds of drafting

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by blunas View Post
    He had a good year two years ago, but I am beginning to think this guy is overrated, at least as far as fantasy goes. I had always stayed away from him in drafts but with all the hoopla about his contract this offseason, somehow I got duped into thinking he was worth drafting. Boy, am I regretting it now. Took him way too high and am getting nothing- NOTHING- from him.

SO what do you guys think? I know people who own him in keeper leagues will be quick to defend him, but lets get some honest opinions. Is Doughty really a D worth taking high in a draft?
    He's overrated is because he has so much talent, but he is yet to put it all together for various reasons. Remember he had that big year and then people thought he was the second coming of Bobby Orr. He has carried that high upside and that name for years and I'm very careful about trading for him or even drafting him in leagues. If you can get your hands on him, you have one of the premium young dmen in the league. So? There are so many young dmen that have high upside and won't cost you an insanely high pick in a draft. Examples are Erik Karlsson, Kris Letang, Cam Fowler, Alex Pietrangelo, Alex Edler and Kevin Shattenkirk. That said, its not a bad idea to draft the guy because you know someone will pay a crazy price just to get that name on their team.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Master

He is 21 years old and this is his fourth year in the league. Already has a 59 point campaign under his belt and its the 7th of November.

If you were expecting 70 points, then you aimed way too high. If you were hoping for 50-60 points, they you will most certainly get it by the end of the year.

Its a slow start, nothing else.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Wedgy View Post
    He is 21 years old and this is his fourth year in the league. Already has a 59 point campaign under his belt and its the 7th of November.

If you were expecting 70 points, then you aimed way too high. If you were hoping for 50-60 points, they you will most certainly get it by the end of the year.

Its a slow start, nothing else.
    Absolutely, I was just making a point on his value in keeper and one year leagues.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."