Thread: In the Cage: Evaluating Struggling Starters

The King of Diatribes

Default In the Cage: Evaluating Struggling Starters

Here is this week's "In the Cage" fantasy goalie piece for NHL.com ...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=597256

PLEASE NOTE: At the very bottom for the "Keep an Eye On..." section, I have "Markstrom WILL start" ... remember that I send in these pieces on Sunday night. I woke up this morning to see Kevin Dineen mention that he's not revealing the starter until gametime. Theodore left the last game with lower-body cramps/soreness so I don't think he starts...but who knows at this point. I asked my editor to change it o "Markstrom SHOULD start" ... so FYI on that!!

Dobber Sports Genius

Great read! I'm a Mason owner and I'm struggling. I'm thinking of holding onto him as he's still a starter. Just hope he gets some good mental training and some help in the back end. I don't watch their games, but I watch the stats and they are limiting shots well, it just seems like the ones they let through are high quality shots with better chances of scoring than not. Perhaps I'm wrong though.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

The King of Diatribes

Mason is not being timely at all. He's not playing with a starter's mentality. He has a negative reaction to just about every goal he gives up. He is defeated before pucks even hit the back of the net. He makes saves on shots he sees. He struggles with his vision when he has to anticipate or find pucks through traffic. He's leaky, he's scrambly, he's not confident. It's just not a good situation right now. Great learning experience when all is said and done, but you have to hope getting Wisneiwski back is the edge he needs to face a few less scoring chances each game. He needs a win very badly.