Thread: Backstrom elite goalie?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Backstrom elite goalie?

So whats your opinion on Nicklas Backstrom (minn) ? A couple years ago he was outstanding, last year not so much. He is looking good so far this year. Do you think he is returning to his old form and working his way to one of the elite goalies in the league?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

I can't really comment on how he is as a goalie like fundamentally and stuff, I'll leave that to the experts like Justin.

But in terms of fantasy, Backstrom is definitely one of the more underrated goalies in the league, and I think that has a lot to do with the fact that he plays for Minnesota. It didn't help that he had all those back and groin problems in previous years.

I think he's capable of being an elite fantasy option but IMO I think the safest classification you could give him as a fantasy goalie is a really good #2 option. I personally find that every year in my one-year's he's underrated so I can snag him as my #3 which is great.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    I can't really comment on how he is as a goalie like fundamentally and stuff, I'll leave that to the experts like Justin.

But in terms of fantasy, Backstrom is definitely one of the more underrated goalies in the league, and I think that has a lot to do with the fact that he plays for Minnesota. It didn't help that he had all those back and groin problems in previous years.

I think he's capable of being an elite fantasy option but IMO I think the safest classification you could give him as a fantasy goalie is a really good #2 option. I personally find that every year in my one-year's he's underrated so I can snag him as my #3 which is great.
    I agree with this statement. I can see Backstrom having the potential to be an elite option, but team always plays a big factor, see Vokoun in FLA for example. I'd love Backstrom as a #3 goalie, be very happy with him as a #2, but I would be a bit worried if he was my #1.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Grand Master

He was elite a few years ago and the team has steadily gotten worse, as have his numbers. Expect his stats to improve as the team does.

Dobber Sports Deity

Right on, and thanks for the comments. I currently have Luongo as my #1 and Mike Smith as my #2. I am thinking of taking a run at him as one of the guys in my league has him as a #3 sitting on his bench weekly behind Lundy and Howard. He would be a good improvement over my current #2.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."