Thread: Theodore - Injured?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Theodore - Injured?

Whats the early word on theodore leaving the game early. does this open the door for Markstrom?
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Stud

Early word last night following the game is that Theodore is having some "core" issues. That could indicate anything from a serious abdominal strain to diarrhea. Dineen said he started having issues in the second period, but Theodore was able to play through into the beginning of the third. So, that could either mean that it's not anything serious, or it could mean that it is a persistent issue that Theodore will have to fight through the rest of the season (and will go through flair ups here and there).

I know this wasn't very helpful, but there really isn't much info out there on this yet. I'm following closely, though, because Markstrom really stole that game for the Panthers last night. He was absolutely phenomenal in the third period, and literally robbed Tavares at the goal line on at least four prime chances in the game's final minutes. He came as advertised, and this very well could be the tiny crack in the door the rookie needs to force his way into the Panthers' crease.

Edit: I should add that the first thing I did after last night's game was to add Markstrom to my lineup. My advice would be to find a way to do the same now before it's too late.
    Last edited by rticinelli; October 23, 2011 at 4:43 PM.
    15 GM Keeper League w/Roto Scoring (G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, HITS | W, GAA, SV%, SHO)
    Start 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 2 G (23-man rosters) | Protect 10 players w/a max of 1 goalie

C - Crosby*, Malkin* (C/R), Tavares*, Giroux* (C/R)
    L - Duchene* (C/L),
    Marleau* (C/L), Galchenyuk (C/L), Ott (C/L), Lee (C/L)
    R - Kane* (C/R), St. Louis, Neil, Clutterbuck
    D - Yandle*, Carlson*, Gardiner, Gudas, Daley, Bieksa, Schenn
    G - Lundqvist*, Rinne, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Stud

i actually spat out my coffee when i read diarrhea it was so unexpected

with respect to markstrom, he looked really good in that game he played, because not only is he massive, but he didn't sink back into his net and rely on that size. He still played confident and came out to challenge shooters and read the play.
    [SIZE=1][I] 10 Team H2H Roto (Start 3C,3LW,3RW,5D,4Bench,2G in bold)
    C: Kopitar, Getzlaf, Haula
    LW: Vrana, Svechnikov, Bertuzzi
    RW: Brown, Kase, Rakell
    D: Burns, Giordano, Hedman, Gustafsson, Josi
    G: Vasilevskiy, Rittich
    "Bench":
    IR: Malkin

Dobber Sports Superstar

Thanks RT for the insight, I even choked myself. I have Markstrom in my money pool and need a 2nd goalie so here's hoping. Hopefully this is just the start for him.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Nooooo...Theodore get better I need Markstrom to stay under 20GP..........

From what I read it was cramps. Guess you guys heard somewhere that it was diarrhea? That sucks, must have been a bitch to get all of that equipment off while trying not to explode.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Stud

Diarrhea was just an example of what a broad spectrum the term "core issue" could cover. Cramps also could mean diarrhea, but enough of that...

Markstrom certainly sparkled tonight in a 40-save effort (2-1 win). Granted, it was against Montreal, but one goal against and 40 saves is nothing to sneeze at. I'll be surprised if he doesn't get the next start while Theodore sorts out those "core" issues.
    15 GM Keeper League w/Roto Scoring (G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, HITS | W, GAA, SV%, SHO)
    Start 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 2 G (23-man rosters) | Protect 10 players w/a max of 1 goalie

L - Duchene* (C/L),

Dobber Sports Padawan

What is Markstrom's value in a one year league? He did really well tonight. I hope he gets another start this week

Dobber Sports Stud

It's not just tonight... he's done extremely well in all three of his appearances this season.

It's easy to get excited when a highly touted prospect storms onto the scene in impressive fashion, but we have to try and keep things in perspective. Theodore has played well so far this season, so it's not as if the Panthers were struggling to find an answer in net. I don't think we'll see a replay of what happened with Lundqvist and the Rangers in 2005-06... after all, Theodore is a much better goalie than Weekes... but I think it's realistic to expect about 20-25 starts for Markstrom this season. This might be a tad optimistic, but I would look to Schneider's value last season as a good measure of what Markstrom could provide this year.

Of course, if Theodore continues to struggle with his "core" issues, or this brief time off throws off his rhythm, then we could see something closer to an even split.

Again, though, let's try not to get ahead of ourselves on this one. Jacob is definitely off to a dynamite start to his career, but he's only appeared in 4 NHL games total (three this season). We need a little more of a sample to really gauge his potential impact for this season. I would jump on the chance to acquire him now, if your roster allows for it, and then sit and watch.

L - Duchene* (C/L),

Dobber Sports Superstar

I agree, rticinelli, but it's certainly a more realistic bet considering he's playing behind Theodore as opposed to Schneider's or Bernier's situation. It's certainly conceivable that Markstrom could step up here.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    I agree, rticinelli, but it's certainly a more realistic bet considering he's playing behind Theodore as opposed to Schneider's or Bernier's situation. It's certainly conceivable that Markstrom could step up here.
    I completely agree... just trying to temper my school-girl giddiness over his potential!

L - Duchene* (C/L),

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by rticinelli View Post
    I completely agree... just trying to temper my school-girl giddiness over his potential!
    We will all try and control our giddiness, especially when we are talking cramps!
    Yes here is hoping the start of a long term relationship for my goaltending position.

Dobber Sports Stud

You know what, screw trying to temper my school girl giddiness...

I've been looking at this situation objectively, factoring in performance level (and potential performance level), as well as the state of the franchise, plus talking to my people (take from that what you will, I won't elaborate further). The conclusion I've come to is that Markstrom will be the Panthers starting goalie before the end of this season. Theodore has been solid, but not great so far this season. One of two things are likely to happen: 1) he continues to struggle with his "core" issues which forces him to miss time and never get back into a rhythm, or 2) he will return and continue to play in solid, yet unspectacular fashion. If I am correct on this one, and Markstrom can continue playing to his potential, then Dineen and company would have no reason to not ride their youngster. He'll give you more wins, plus nothing is better for development than playing time. It would also give him an excellent development platform, getting solid game time behind a competitive team, and protected by a very solid, veteran backup goalie.

I'm going out on a limb, and will say now that Markstrom takes over the starting role this year, and will finish with around 55-60 starts this season.

L - Duchene* (C/L),

Dobber Sports Superstar

Could happen. I should say that Tallon is on the record as saying he's going to be taking it slow w/ Markstrom, or words to that effect.

But at the same time, there's going to be pressure to put butts in the seats. This is Florida we're talking about. But, Markstrom is surely on his way towards rendering Clemmensen irrelevant, at least.

Justin's advice was to pick Markstrom as a 3 or 4, and I would advise people to temper their expectations there. I'm just hoping he's able to stay in the NHL, and I'll take anything else as gravy at this point.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Stud

Instant Karma, just curious as to when Tallon made those comments. I would suspect it was before the season began, or shortly thereafter.

In the end, you have to go with the player(s) who gives you the best chance to win. If that proves to be Markstrom (which I suspect it will), then it wouldn't make sense for Dineen/Tallon to keep him out of the lineup.

Only time will tell with this one, but I've definitely jumped on the other side of the line from tempered expectations to firmly believing he will finish the season with ~55 games, 30 wins and really pretty percentages.

L - Duchene* (C/L),