Thread: Question about Yahoo projected pace

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Question about Yahoo projected pace

anyone know how the projected pace value is calculated in Yahoo leagues which has maximum starts?

Dobber Sports All-Star

I think anything Yahoo does is questionable and I wouldn't use it to measure anything fantasy hockey related. That being said, I don't know how they come up with their rankings/projections.
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Dobber Sports Expert

Generally each position has 82 games, so if you have 2 C positions, you'll have 164 worth of games, 246 for 3 C positions, etc.... but that might be different if you are in a private league, your commish might have changed it.

It goes by days of the schedule... I don't know off the top of my head how many days there are in the NHL season... Let's say 150? so basically how they calculate it is that 164/150 = 1.09 games per day.

So after 2 weeks of the season you probably should have used around 15 games. If you used more then you're ahead of your projected pace, if you're less than that then you're under. The problem with burning them off to early is that means by about March or April you're only going to have a limited amount of games remaining to use and your opponents have time to catch back up.

I've seen leagues that have someone lead the pack by about 50 roto points, and it gets made up in the last 2 weeks because the top team ran outta games...

What that means is that you need to be smart with your active players, most leagues will have 2 C positions, but 3-4 bench positions, so if you constantly have all of your positions filled, you're going to burn up your games played very quickly. In those leagues you almost need to stream your starts, just start against weak defensive teams, and bench against strong ones...

Hope it helps.
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I don't think that is quite right, Gotlaid - although it would be essentially splitting hairs - I think the projected pace of utilization is actually based on the number of games played to date as a % of the full years schedule.

So if out of the full year's schedule 10% of all games are in the bag then you should be on pace with 10% of your position games played.

I could be wrong, but at the end of the day, I don't think either formula is going to be far off the other.

Dobber Sports Expert

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/spo...ockey-108.html

Please remember that games played limits are in place in rotisserie and point leagues only.
    The 82-game National Hockey League schedule is contested over a period of 187 calendar days. If you set your lineup at the beginning of the season and never touch your lineup, all players reach the games played limit (assuming default settings) on the final day of the season, assuming no injuries occur and no player takes a day off.
    If you regularly sub players from your bench into active positions when your starter has the day off, you will likely be ahead of your games-played pace. For example, if your left wing plays every day, plus you substitute a player from your bench each time his team has a day off, you're on pace to accumulate 187 games rather than 82 at that position.
    In most cases, players miss enough games due to injury that you can move players from your bench to active positions without exceeding your pace.
    If you find yourself ahead of the games played pace at a position, you can start by suspending the practice of subbing players when your starter has a day off.
    If you continue to exceed the pace, you might consider benching your normal starter when scoring conditions for him are unfavorable (on the road, tough opponent, etc.).

the yahoo help page doesn't actually tell you how the pace is calculated, which is why I asked the question on the board.

Dobber Sports Expert

I think that's how it's calculated... over 185 calendar days.

I just went through 1 of my leagues and it seems to work out as displayed.

In my league I have 4 C roster spots, which allows for 328 games played over the year (4*82)...

Then what I did was 328/185 = 1.77 per day...

We're 16 days into the season so 1.77*16 = 28.37 which should be my expected pace.

So far this season I've played 27, which means I'm 2 games under my expected pace, which is what it shows in the little box thing at the bottom of my team.

I did that with my RW, D and G and it seems to be in line.

Try that and see if matches what your box says...

thanks Gotlaid and Shoeless for the help.

In case anyone is still confused, here is how it's calculated, and with excel formula
    Max - (ROUNDUP(Max/Calendar Days * Days into Season,0) - Played) = Projected

basically what Gotlaid said; just always need to round up. So in english terms, the projected value doesn't take into account specific team/player schedules, just the number of days into the season - i.e. for a team like Pits. that has had a busy start of season (10GP vs 8GP or less for other teams), their players start more often so your projected will be higher than the maximum starts even if you never changed your starting roster.

Seeing as this is my first yahoo league, I was under the impression that if you never changed your roster, barring injury and scratches, if you never change your starters, you will finish the season with the max starts and have an 'even' projection every day.