Thread: Would I Be Insane To Do This Deal?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Would I Be Insane To Do This Deal?

Basically it\'s a 1 year h2h league and i\'m currently sitting around 20 points out of a playoff spot. I have been offered Gaborik in exchange for Heatley? Is the extra 2 or 3 weeks of production that Gabbo will give me enough to make up for the talent differential? What do you guys think?

Dobber Sports Guru

meh, you\'re gambling. don\'t forget to factor in whatever time it will actually take to get the deal processed and then the extra games you lose while waiting to get him in your lineup.

Dobber Sports Master

I\'m opposed to the trade because of how tight the western conference is during the playoff run. With the final 8 games against northwest division rivals don\'t expect to see much production from Gaborik down the stretch. I\'d want to have heatley for the playoff run.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Padawan

Gabby has a much talent as anyone.
    Gambling on him actually staying healthy and playing more games may not be a good move.
    RFHL: 12 Member League Founded 1989 Rochester, NY
    Limited 10 Positional Player Keeper League
    G, A, PTS, 2W+OL, SV%, GAA
    C: Tavares, Kopitar, BJugstad, Kesler, Fabbri
    LW: Hall, Benn, Voracek, Fabbri
    RW: Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, MacKinnon
    D: Hedman, Shattenkirk, Fowler, Parayko, S. Jones, Pietrangelo
    G: Price, Murray

Torture

I wouldn\'t do it just because of the \"groin factor\". Gaborik has just as much chance of blowing his groin and missing the rest of the season as playing the rest of the season.

Huge gamble IMO and not worth it. Maybe if you could get a different player in return. I like what you\'re doing in not giving up on a playoff spot though.

Dobber Sports Pro

Go ahead and pull the trigger. Gaborik is an ELITE talent. I hate drafting him because he always goes much earlier than I am willing to take him but I love trading for him when his owner gets tired of his injuyr issues. If you own him during his healthy stretches his production is tough to match. Last year he had 30 goasl and 57 points in ONLY 48 games. This seasn he is already at 25 goals and 52 points in 45 games. Heater will get in a little less than 30 more games in probably. Gabby has a little over 30 games left. The numbers will probably even out if Heatley comes back strong and stays healthy. I dont like riding the rest of season on a guy hoping to be effective after a significant injury. I would rather ride Gabby and just hope he stays realitivley healthy down the stretch.
    6Team/Points Only H2H Keep: 37+3goalies Start: 13F/6D/2G
    FWD = G(2), A(1), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    DEF = G(3), A(2), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    GOAL = W(3), OTL(1), SO(+2), SV(.10)

FOR: Malkin Ovechkin Kessel Stepan Gaborik Zetterberg Carter Vanek Pacioretty Duchene Skinner Lupul Hornqvist Perron Semin Okposo Byfuglien Granlund Bennett Strome Bjugstad Nichushkin Yakupov Galchenyuk Grigorenko Kuznetsov Kucherov Etem Burakovsky
    D: Letang Goligoski Kronwall Voynov JustinSchultz Hedman RyanMurphy AdamLarsson Pulock Sproul
    G: Lundqvist Lehtonen Schneider

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think you should horsetrade and take Gabby and get a little upgrade somewhere else as well and go for the ride. Gabbie really hasn\'t even had one of his patented hot streaks yet and I think that is coming - gotta roll the dice sometimes and this looks like one of those times.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

any other opinions? personally, i\'m starting to get excited about the idea. ottawa would be crazy to rush heatley back

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The Pod wrote:
    Is the extra 2 or 3 weeks of production that Gabbo will give me enough to make up for the talent differential? What do you guys think?
    That 2 or 3 weeks may not be that long. Heatley is skating again & the injury looks to be not as serious as 1st thought.

It is important to check out Minny\'s opponents coming up
    Week #1 (Jan 28-Feb3)
    2 - ANA / @CLB (that only 2 games against two defensive teams)
    Week #2 (Feb4-10)
    4 - DET / DAL / NYI / @STL (2 tough Western opponents in DET & DAL not to mention STL is playing a tight defensive style under Murray)
    Week #3 (Feb11-17)
    3 - @EDM / @VAN / NAS (Luongo is a tough game, EDM is either a 2-1 or 5-4 game but it is a gamble)

I\'ve heard a Heatley come back around the 10th so that is in between Week #2 & 3. Now is Heatley worth giving up for 6 Gabby games who has some tough opponents ahead. The West has tightened up defensively & I\'d rather own Eastern Conference players. I just move Gaborik as part of Kovalchuk deal in a points only league.

I\'d keep Heatley & wait it out. He will outscore Gabby when he gets back. Hope this helps.

Dobber Sports Ace

Keep Heatley, he comes back he\'s guarenteed going on a tear and will make up for the pts gaborik would have gave you. plus i see gaborik getting hurt within a week.

Torture

Nice post WhatThePuck, karma for that solid analysis.