Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Hemsky

Dobber Sports Prodigy

it should be a golden rule for draft day:
    - don't draft band-aid boys thinking this is the year they won't got hurt... they'll find a way to get hurt!
    14teams. 25players
    (14F:8D:3G)Points only
    Goal/Pass= F:1/1 D:2/1
    Wins/SO= 2/2
    12-14 keepers
    F: Draisaitl,Barkov,Matthews,Crosby,Voracek
    D:Carlson,Josi,Theodore,Chabot,Hronek
    G:Vasilevsky,Demko

The Wolverine

I don't think it's a bad idea to draft band aid boys as long as you don't pick them too early and have a decent backup plan (or at least an extra IR slot). I drafted him in the 14th round of my 12 team roto league. So, although it sucks that he's hurt again, I didn't pay too high a price, have bench options and hopefully when he does play he'll be productive.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I grabbed Hemsky in the 15th round of my 12 team league, I figured he'd get injured at some point, but the production when he's healthy should be better than most of the RW drafted afterwards (including Ryder, Knuble and Kostitsyn).
    Setting up the play.

Dobber Sports Legend

Hemsky has been part of the fabric of my team for a long time, but this is the end of the line for him. After the season I'm leaving him unprotected and I'll let someone else put up with the headache. He's very dynamic and a fun player to watch (when he actually plays) but he's made of paper mache and unreliable year after year.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by DaymanFighterOfTheNiteman View Post
    Any word on if it's the same shoulder he had surgery on not too long ago?
    he's had surgery on both shoulders in the last few years so i guess it doesn't really matter
    14 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP GWG W GAA SV% SHO

C: S.Crosby, E.Malkin, J.Spezza
    W: R.Nash, J.Lupul, B.Marchand, P.Mueller, A.Ladd, M.Ryder
    D: M.Green, K.Letang, K.Shattenkirk, B.Seabrook
    U: J.Carter, P.M.Bouchard
    G: J.Halak, N.Backstrom

Bench: R.Johansen, S.Couturier, B.Connolly, E.Kuznetsov, J.Colborne, V.Tarasenko, M.Zibanejad, N.Niederreiter, Z.Boychuk, R.Spooner, M.Perreault, J.Hishon, T.Pulkkinen, A.Khokhlachev, N.Kuchurov, E.Grachev, Z.Hamill, V.Sobotka, N.Filatov, J.Weal, G.Latendresse, L.Korpikoski, B.Pouliot J.Skille R.Rakhshani J.Pitkanen J.Boychuk T.Hickey J.Harding

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Good god! I am an Oilers fan and I was praying for Hemmer to be healthy this year. Not to help the oilers but to help his trade value as i was hoping the oil to trade him this year.

as mentioned above, he is fun to watch when he plays but c'mon now this is stupid. At this point if his injury is serious he has no trade value at all, i'll take a bag of pucks at this point because the pucks might actually end up in a game!

Hemsky = SUPER frustrated Oil Nation
    16 Team H2H Keeper Year 16
    Skater Points
    G2, A1, DG+1, DA+1, GWG1, HAT3, OTG1, PIM0.5, PPG1, PPA1, PenaltyShotG1, SHG2, ShootOutG1, SOG0.1, +/-1
    Goalie Points

W4, S 0.14, GA-1, OW1, ShootOutW 1, SO2
    Line-Up
    F (start 6): Connor, Svechnikov, Guentzel, , Kaprizov
    D (start 4): Q Hughes, Ekblad, DeAngelo, Makar
    G (start 1):
    8 Keepers:

16 Team Roto Keeper League:
    Cats
    G, A, +/-, PPP, HIT, SOG, D Points, W, and SV%.
    Line-Up
    3C: Barzal, Duchene, Kyrou, Couturier
    3LW: Lafreniere, Debrincat, Garland, J Robertson
    3RW: Puljujarvi, Bjorkstrand, Fiala, Reinhart, McCann
    4D: Bouchard, Cabot, Klingburg, S Jones, Byram
    2G (Max): Rask, Hellebuyck
    5 Keepers

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Good god! I am an Oilers fan and I was praying for Hemmer to be healthy this year. Not to help the oilers but to help his trade value as i was hoping the oil to trade him this year.

as mentioned above, he is fun to watch when he plays but c'mon now this is stupid. At this point if his injury is serious he has no trade value at all, i'll take a bag of pucks at this point because the pucks might actually end up in a game!

Hemsky = SUPER frustrated Oil Nation
    The Oilers need to trade Hemsky for any type of decent value in return right now. They supposedly had a couple of quality offers for him in the summer but were asking the world for him. I don't think Hemsky is good for the young Oilers team personally.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I actually disagree, he is one of the vets that has been with the Oil his entire career and the Oil need a skilled player to help develop the kids.

ie Detroit: Stevie Y and Fedorov teaching Zett and Dats and Now Zett and Dats teaching their young players.

From what i have read and heard Hemsky really wants to remain an oiler and loves that the team finally has some talent to play with, unfortunately he cant stay healthy.

I know I'm contradicting myself a little bit but he needs to go while they can get something for him. If he could stay healthy I would keep want him on my team any day of the week, just as I'm sure any team in the league would.

IMO you put a HEALTHY Hemsky on Wash and he would do just as well as Backstrom.
    16 Team H2H Keeper Year 16
    Skater Points
    G2, A1, DG+1, DA+1, GWG1, HAT3, OTG1, PIM0.5, PPG1, PPA1, PenaltyShotG1, SHG2, ShootOutG1, SOG0.1, +/-1
    Goalie Points

W4, S 0.14, GA-1, OW1, ShootOutW 1, SO2
    Line-Up
    F (start 6): Connor, Svechnikov, Guentzel, , Kaprizov
    D (start 4): Q Hughes, Ekblad, DeAngelo, Makar
    G (start 1):
    8 Keepers:

16 Team Roto Keeper League:
    Cats
    G, A, +/-, PPP, HIT, SOG, D Points, W, and SV%.
    Line-Up
    3C: Barzal, Duchene, Kyrou, Couturier
    3LW: Lafreniere, Debrincat, Garland, J Robertson
    3RW: Puljujarvi, Bjorkstrand, Fiala, Reinhart, McCann
    4D: Bouchard, Cabot, Klingburg, S Jones, Byram
    2G (Max): Rask, Hellebuyck
    5 Keepers

Dobber Sports Legend

Paddy,

The main problem I see with Hemsky is that he is not dependable and hasn't been his entire career - in fact, he's NEVER played a full season. He missed close to 40 games last year, missed 60 games the year before, 10 the year before that...and now he's "injured" again. All this does is continually force the Oilers to adjust their lines, try to create new chemistry and depend on others to produce offense in his absence.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Paddy,

The main problem I see with Hemsky is that he is not dependable and hasn't been his entire career - in fact, he's NEVER played a full season. He missed close to 40 games last year, missed 60 games the year before, 10 the year before that...and now he's "injured" again. All this does is continually force the Oilers to adjust their lines, try to create new chemistry and depend on others to produce offense in his absence.
    Its because of his style of play which is fearless and quite frankly downright inspiring. One of the toughest "skill" players in the league. Hes a great mentor for the kids- but you're right he'll likely never play a full season. I think the pros far outweigh the cons though in your "chemistery" debate and totally agree with Paddy in terms of the backstrom argument...

Dobber Sports Ninja

As much as I love Hemmer when he's healthy, I threw in the towel on this guy a long time ago. The "upside" isn't worth it here.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    I think the pros far outweigh the cons though in your "chemistery" debate
    Emu,

Realistically how do the pros far outweigh the cons? Honestly.

The chemistry issue is a very legitimate issue. Hemsky is one of the main point-producers on the Oilers (perhaps THE primary offensive player) and it's impossible to be successful when your top offensive player annually misses 40, 60, 20 games etc.

Not only are the Oilers counting on Hemsky's production (which he can't contribute when he's hurt), they are also paying him a lot of money (from their perspective) top be a top line scorer and are getting very little in return.

The "chemistry issue" comes about because when Hemsky is hurt (which is more often than not anymore), more pressure is put on the young kids to pick up the scoring slack...which is not always the best case scenario. On top of that, a RW needs to be taken off their "scoring line" and put in place of Hemsky on the top line, which messes up the chemistry even more. At that point, the player taking Hemsky's spot starts getting used to that role, then Hemsky returns and it's time to bump that player back. See my point?

When you have an offensive player (Hemsky or anyone else) that misses significant time each year, it's very taxing on the forward units. The Oilers are a young club with young players already being asked to play significant roles on the team...what they need are veteran players who are durable, reliable and could be depended upon to produce points - Hemsky has not been able to provide that.

Don't get me wrong - I am a HUGE Hemsky fan. I love his game and, yes, I agree, he certainly is willing to pay the price. But at the end of the day, you can only be a leader or inspiration to your teammates if you are on the ice playing.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Ninja

Emu,

The chemistry issue is a very legitimate issue. Hemsky is one of the main point-producers on the Oilers (perhaps THE primary offensive player) and it's impossible to be successful when your top offensive player annually misses 40, 60, 20 games etc.

Not only are the Oilers counting on Hemsky's production (which he can't contribute when he's hurt), they are also paying him a lot of money (from their perspective) top be a top line scorer and are getting very little in return.

The "chemistry issue" comes about because when Hemsky is hurt (which is more often than not anymore), more pressure is put on the young kids to pick up the scoring slack...which is not always the best case scenario. On top of that, a RW needs to be taken off their "scoring line" and put in place of Hemsky on the top line, which messes up the chemistry even more. At that point, the player taking Hemsky's spot starts getting used to that role, then Hemsky returns and it's time to bump that player back. See my point?

When you have an offensive player (Hemsky or anyone else) that misses significant time each year, it's very taxing on the forward units. The Oilers are a young club with young players already being asked to play significant roles on the team...what they need are veteran players who are durable, reliable and could be depended upon to produce points - Hemsky has not been able to provide that.

Don't get me wrong - I am a HUGE Hemsky fan. I love his game and, yes, I agree, he certainly is willing to pay the price. But at the end of the day, you can only be a leader or inspiration to your teammates if you are on the ice playing.
    Right on....

The Great One

Emu,

Yea maybe your right- I just think hes a hell of a player with loads of character. Love how he handled Mac Ts (stupid) criticism in the media last year. Its hard to think of him as being a detriment on a team- but I can see your point. He doesnt come in as a supplemental player- they typically run the whole pp right through him. It would be tough to constantly adjust such a fundamental aspect of your team game all the time. It might be hard for the kids to develop that way too.

Solid points.

Dobber Sports Legend

Emu

Hemsky is a very skilled player and he does have character, and like you said, is a skilled player who is willing to take the hit to make the play. No doubt about it...but, man, the kid needs to stay semi-healthy! I'm a big Hemsky fan and have owned him for 6 years now, but it could be time to bail on him after this season.
    8-GM / WK-H2H